Quantcast

Invisiframe vs Ride Wrap

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I have wrapped 4 of my (our) frames w/ Invisiframe and one of them with Ridewrap.
The ones w/ Inv:
PP Shan
Spec Enduro (current)
Spec Enduro old X-Frame
Spec Levo SL
They all worked out very well from installation perspective. Really easy to apply, no issues. They can get wrinkled though, and also small hits make a visible damage on the foil. I could not care less about this, as it does not hinder the usability or performance.

Had one go with Ridewrap on my wife's Spec Stumpy Comp. This bike has a weird finish, it is not smooth, but matt and a bit rough, feels like a sandpaper in some places. I have really struggled to apply the foil, despite meticolously following the instructions and having some experience with foils via the bikes listed earlier. Still, I hated the process. Wrt. the long term experience it hold on nice, looks to be more durable then Invisiframe. Not sure if the root cause of the installation struggle was more related to the frame finish or the foil quality, but I think it is more because of the former.

Eventually I think it comes down to availability these days, and can't really go wrong with these products.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have wrapped 4 of my (our) frames w/ Invisiframe and one of them with Ridewrap.
The ones w/ Inv:
PP Shan
Spec Enduro (current)
Spec Enduro old X-Frame
Spec Levo SL
They all worked out very well from installation perspective. Really easy to apply, no issues. They can get wrinkled though, and also small hits make a visible damage on the foil. I could not care less about this, as it does not hinder the usability or performance.

Had one go with Ridewrap on my wife's Spec Stumpy Comp. This bike has a weird finish, it is not smooth, but matt and a bit rough, feels like a sandpaper in some places. I have really struggled to apply the foil, despite meticolously following the instructions and having some experience with foils via the bikes listed earlier. Still, I hated the process. Wrt. the long term experience it hold on nice, looks to be more durable then Invisiframe. Not sure if the root cause of the installation struggle was more related to the frame finish or the foil quality, but I think it is more because of the former.

Eventually I think it comes down to availability these days, and can't really go wrong with these products.
Talked to a friend who is way more clumsy than me and it seems invisiframe should be a bit easier to apply. I just know next time to just cover the key parts and not but the 95% thing as that's overkill

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
buy whatever frame, cover bottom bits in mastic in 5 minutes. proceed with winning because riding bikes is more fun than spending hours (days? weeks?) babying them. :D
Even better - put a layer of helicopter tape on first. When it comes time to take it off for any reason you just pull off the helicopter tape and don't need to deal with scraping all of the mastic tape glue off.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So to summarize.
Put plastic on your plastic and cover with mastic so you can use the plastic to remove the mastic from the plastic?
:doh:

Jus ride yer fuken bikes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
buy whatever frame, cover bottom bits in mastic in 5 minutes. proceed with winning because riding bikes is more fun than spending hours (days? weeks?) babying them. :D
I could not ride bikes for the past 2 weeks so not an issue.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think that soap and water solution is the way to go. Their website has some howto videos
Didn't they suggest a hairdryer? Or was it invisiframe?

Btw. I found one issue with Ridewrap. The rear part has the sticker end in the worst possible place where my foot constantly catches the edge of it. So it's already ripped after a few weeks of riding. Would not happen if the edge was in a different place since the other side of the stays is fine and my stance is bad on both legs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
why would you want one on the non chain side?
wonky footed folk like Norbs need their chainstays protected from themselves.

@norbar It'll take you a while to rub through a strip of mastik but if renewing it every once in a while is too difficult use a plastic chainstay protector.

The only bike I have any wrap on is my roadbike. A slither of invisiframe on each chainstay to protect the carbon from heel rub on wet days when I WEAR A pair of Shimano AM45 mtb shoes. Bulky enough that the inner sole by the heel occasionally rubs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Even if the Ridewrap didn't end in a less than ideal spot, you're heal will just rub through it anyways.

I rubbed through the wrap on the chainstays with five tens after one or two rides.

I just let it rub, it's just rubber. And it'll look like shit no matter what you do.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Even if the Ridewrap didn't end in a less than ideal spot, you're heal will just rub through it anyways.

I rubbed through the wrap on the chainstays with five tens after one or two rides.

I just let it rub, it's just rubber. And it'll look like shit no matter what you do.
It's unglueing because it's in a bad spot I am pulling it off my frame. That's the problem.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Haven't used invisi but ridewrap I have several bikes for customers...
Mix solution don't over spray, clean area thoroughly.
Apply and use a heat gun on compound or multiple curves...just enough to let it take shape.

If youbhave moisture under it no biggie it will permeate over time sooner than later.

Air will have shine, try yo push out if it's locked in use a syring poke center push air out and rub it down...
Overlapped panels trim with scissors, let dry for a couple hours in sun amd push any edges down as well as any larger panels.

Solution easiest is Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo few drops, 2 table spoons alcohol and water in zep spray bottle..

Use nothing else aside of baby shampoo (no dish soap no other shampoo) it's gentle and surfactants and or detergents don't strip adhesive and discolor.
20221013_092259.jpg
20221013_092546.jpg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I found the opposite with the spray, over do it. Make an absolute mess. Makes it mich easier to place the pieces and then squeegeeing it is the same.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I found the opposite with the spray, over do it. Make an absolute mess. Makes it mich easier to place the pieces and then squeegeeing it is the same.
Till you roll edges and they keep lifting or the material keeps sliding around...used this same set up at my sign shops on vehicle wraps and wide format prints including application...had glass shops and window tinting when I was younger and my tinters did this. Had them train me to tint got tired of them not showing up or doing drugs and a liability...and customers cars sitting there.

You may be right!
It may be due to experience and I like it to dry quicker...I forget that too so yeah saturated may be easier for most.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Till you roll edges and they keep lifting or the material keeps sliding around...used this same set up at my sign shops on vehicle wraps and wide format prints including application...had glass shops and window tinting when I was younger and my tinters did this. Had them train me to tint got tired of them not showing up or doing drugs and a liability...and customers cars sitting there.

You may be right!
It may be due to experience and I like it to dry quicker...I forget that too so yeah saturated may be easier for most.
Yeah I would say overdo it but have a heat source too. Still that screenshot gave me PTSD. Took way to long. Still annoyed that one edge ended where my foot rubs so I pulled it. That one was bad design. Will use normal 3M tape there and it will end in a different spot so it won't be an issue

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
unpopular opinion - framewrap is what's wrong with the industry. that our mountain bicycles are so precious that we're *that* concerned about scratches & said impact on resale value is just silly. embrace the patina i say.

(fwiw, all my bikes either start out as, or eventually end up raw. fuck paint).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Chicken n egg scenario tho init? Multiple companies selling high priced vinyl frame wrap is simply a product of "what's wrong with punters" .

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Lizard #1 - "lets sell bikes with cheap paint so bad it comes off if you even look at it funny"
Lizard #2 - "thats so evil, you're promoted"
Lizard #3 - "what if we make the paint so bad we can sell ANOTHER product to protect it!"
Lizard #2 - "feck Lizard 1, he's demoted. You're the new CEO. Now let break for a long lunch and discuss a new standard for brake mounts"