Quantcast

iPad 2

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone going to be an early adopter? I'm going to be in line (not sure if literally or via website) on March 11 for a black, 16 GB, ATT 3G-capable one along with that snazzy new magnetic/folding/origami cover thing.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Preemptive answering of questions: Yes, I know we could tether through our iPhones with MyWi and forgo the 3G on the iPad itself, but it's easier to cough up $15 or $20/month to ATT instead of troubleshooting things over email when tethering doesn't work smoothly for my wife as she rides the train into the city. :rofl: No, I have no desire for an Android tablet, Xoom or otherwise, after having played around with the interface on Android phones. Yes, this includes those running the mythical Honeycomb. No, I'm not going to get a baby blue cover for it. Red leather, perhaps?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
$70 for a red leather case? apple loves customers like that.

its smaller, has a faster processor than previous, two cameras, same price and yet will still dominate the market w/ its less superior product. go figure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
"Less superior" is looking solely at numbers, syadasti style. The overall experience, including the widespread Apple Retail Stores, the App Store (+/- trademarked name, heh), and general UI polish is what counts.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
:stosh:

Still failed to address screen glare/outdoor performance with a screen finish change and e-Ink mode and no "retina" resolution. Also left out simple things like an SD slot, built-in mini hdmi port, or micro USB - who wants to buy and carry a hundred overpriced adapters? Part of their normal operating strategy - do what's best for Apple, not the customer - they can get suckers via ugly unwieldy adapters and/or in the next version with the important features they left out on purpose.

Think different, think again...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"Less superior" is looking solely at numbers, syadasti style. The overall experience, including the widespread Apple Retail Stores, the App Store (+/- trademarked name, heh), and general UI polish is what counts.
when you are spending the type of money that you are for devices like this, numbers matter...at least to me. its significantly more money than most laptops and or netbooks and does less then them.
how does the apple retail stores add to the experience? i would think it would add to the frustration of talking to morons.

its basically a giant iphone....dont get me wrong, i love my iphone, but if i was plopping down up to $800 for a tablet, i want it to be the best damn one out there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yay, a 10" screen that I can fill with a grid of tiny square icons, and a notification system that forces me to have either popups that interrupt what I'm doing and require me to dismiss them, or stupid little numbers hovering over an icon that I have to leave my application to see and then locate the icon in the grid on my home screen.

Oh, yeah, and no proper Gmail or Google Voice integration.

Oh, and common settings requiring you to - again - get out of your application and visit the settings control panel.

Oh, and crippled multi-tasking that's bad enough on a phone but even worse on a device that's similar to an actual computing environment.

Sorry, the iPad is a giant failure for me. A serious overhaul to the mobile OS to allow a more tablet-friendly environment like the inclusion of widgets, better notifications and more flexible multi-tasking would remove most of my complaints. But what you call a "polished UI" I call "rigidly inflexible."

I'd rather not feel like I'm fighting the OS to get what I want, and I always felt a little like that with the iPhone - widgets and notifications were a HUGE part of that - and it would be even worse with more screen real estate.

Plus, it can't run Tasker :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Can you really be considered an "early adopter" by purchasing v.2 of a product? :rofl:
Apple takes at least 3-4 revisions to get a product reasonably mature so they can maximize profits. The iPod took even longer to reach basic function parity with the competition.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I guess I will be the only one buying it from this thread. Enjoy your Android UI, best of luck! :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I thought you were saving your money for a Carrera-4? :p
Car stuff is for 2014 once I'm an attending. Plus this iPad is/will be a gift from my dear mother for winning an award for my iPad-in-radiology project, and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

IBhe'scallinghismotherahorse

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Not bad. I would get one if I didn't already have an iPhone and a Macbook.

Also, it's NOT a laptop homeboys. It was never going to be a laptop.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also, it's NOT a laptop homeboys. It was never going to be a laptop.
No, its not. Its an overpriced tablet. You can get a real laptop with a 8 hour battery life about as powerful as a Macbook Air for the cost of the cheapest iPad 2 or less (I got mine for $450).

Its amazing - no stupid app store or bloated iTunes plus they don't even charge extra for the built-in screen cover/keyboard that automatically turns off the screen and puts it to sleep:eek:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Acer-Aspire-AS1830T-3505-1.2GHz-Intel-Core-i3-3GB-250GB-11.6-in-LED-Laptop/5099117/product.html

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
One of the nicer aspects of my life is I don't obsess and rant over other peoples choices. In fact, I just don't care.
You'd have to be blind not to see the negative effect Apple's designs has had on the rest of the industry. Companies are putting more emphasis on form over function. Its great it looks cool but ergonomics and ease of use are far more important.

You can thank Apple's influence for new automotive interfaces which are touchscreen-centric with little to no tactical aspect. It will be awesome when someone in their new SUV runs you over on foot/bike or rear-ends your car playing around with their ill-conceived touchscreen design.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I probably won't get the iPad2. I'm thinking about picking up one of the first generation iPads. I've already heard of used ones going for $200. At that price it's hard to go wrong.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You'd have to be blind not to see the negative effect Apple's designs has had on the rest of the industry. Companies are putting more emphasis on form over function. Its great it looks cool but ergonomics and ease of use are far more important.

You can thank Apple's influence for new automotive interfaces which are touchscreen-centric with little to no tactical aspect. It will be awesome when someone in their new SUV runs you over on foot/bike or rear-ends your car playing around with their ill-conceived touchscreen design.
Bwahaha. Yeah, companies had never figured out that consumers value form over function. Clearly Apple is just leading the charge.

Also, the implication here seems to be that it's somehow wrong for Apple to keep doing what's profitable and that it's their fault that other companies are following. That ridiculous, Apple as a company should do what keeps their shareholders happy - i.e. making money - and companies producing products that may be poorly functioning or don't make sense can take their own responsibility.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I heard Apple is going to build a little oven into the iPad to throw Jews into.
This is a fail. Moderator when are you going to do your job. This violates accepted use policy.

8. Excessive profanity, or the use of racial slurs
9. Violence, racial intolerance, or advocating violence, or intolerance against any individual, group, or organization

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Bwahaha. Yeah, companies had never figured out that consumers value form over function. Clearly Apple is just leading the charge.

Also, the implication here seems to be that it's somehow wrong for Apple to keep doing what's profitable and that it's their fault that other companies are following. That ridiculous, Apple as a company should do what keeps their shareholders happy - i.e. making money - and companies producing products that may be poorly functioning or don't make sense can take their own responsibility.
Can we get a sheep smiley added?
:rofl:

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
The 1st Gen Ipads are on special here for $449 (16gb Wifi), so I'm considering getting one.

Still trying to decide whether the Ipad or a netbook is a better idea.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The 1st Gen Ipads are on special here for $449 (16gb Wifi), so I'm considering getting one.

Still trying to decide whether the Ipad or a netbook is a better idea.
It won't be long before new apps run like a dog, the new one is faster. Ok for web/email, but not games.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
It won't be long before new apps run like a dog, the new one is faster. Ok for web/email, but not games.
I managed to resist the urge, but only because I couldn't get anyone to pricematch down to $398 AUD.

I was very taken with the Macbook air though, but damn are macs expensive.

mtbinva

Chimp
Mar 20, 2010
Well, to all of the detractor, considering this is a one year old technology market (iPad, Zoom) there are not a lot of options. Hate Apple all you want, but the final factor that trumps and muzzles all of the negative cometary are the numbers and volumes of the iPad sales. Say what you want, but that fact right there cannot be disputed.

Now, here is the disclaimer....A tablet PC does not count as a tablet market since this is a full on laptop with a spinning screen.

And no, I do not own and iPad.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I was generously given the pad that I'm typing on now while I was in the hospital. My friends thought it was a pricey, but solid entertainment device. It actually has helped greatly with my rehab of both hands.

I had spent my life as a PC guy, touting the "do more, get more, for less" mentality. Last year I had my PC crash, and opted to go into the Mac world, buying a Mac mini. I don't know why I changed, but I just felt like it was time. Perhaps I was sick of having too many options on the PC market, and the lameness of windows.

I'm still rolling an Android phone.

Combo the three things above, and I'm starting to enjoy the koolaid. I think I'd buy an iPad again, and damn the "lack of intrerfaces and slots." I'm currently giving the trial versions of Bento and Numbers a run. Despite years of power using Excel and Access in the office, I must admit the simple nature of those programs already has me considering paying for them, even though I already have Excel and Access and even OpenOffice. I'm willing to pay for "less" because I ultimately don't do anything that complicated at home, and I don't need options cluttering my path when I want a simple spreadsheet/database that already has a nice template waiting for me.

Time will tell how the iPad versions of those apps work. I'm also stocking up on apps now, before the 2nd generation pad apps start taking advantage of the new memory and speed specs, which I assume will burden the 1st gen.

BTW, there are currently some sick music apps that I'm in love with for making music. Not sure if they exist on the Android yet, but for now, I'm happy with what I have.