Quantcast

iPhone 3.0 - turn by turn GPS and much more

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/apple-highlights-slew-of-new-features-coming-in-iphone-os-30.ars

apple and the iPhone are a juggernaut: they've turned their success with the iPod into an equally great one with the iPhone:

- 17 million iPhones and 13 million iPod touches sold (both run iPhone OS)
- 50,000 registered application developers, 25,000 applications on the app store, 800 million applications downloaded to date

a few of the new features in iPhone 3.0:

- turn by turn GPS
- system wide cut and paste
- system wide search based on Spotlight
- push notification
- MMS
- communication with external peripherals. a blood pressure cuff was the demo. potentially huge
- Bonjour autodiscovery of other iPhones via Bluetooth so that applications can talk directly sans wifi
- voice memos
- syncing of notes with iTunes
- stereo Bluetooth on 3G and newer hardware
- landscape orientation in Mail.app
- antiphishing in Safari

shipping this summer, free update for all iPhones including the original!

bam.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm going to sound kind of lame...

all day i was checking various sites waiting for 3.0 to be available for download. i was surprisingly disappointed to read that it was a damn preview.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Still no multitasking or flash support = :plthumbsdown:

Does the i-phone battery suck so bad it can't support running more than one process at a time?

How long does a battery charge last in real-life currently? :confused:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Still no multitasking or flash support = :plthumbsdown:

Does the i-phone battery suck so bad it can't support running more than one process at a time?

All 3g phones suck the batteries dry.

Background push notification seems like a much more elegant solution than multitasking.

As for flash, it'd be nice for the idiots who design their entire sites in flash, but really, I haven't seen any use for it for things I would do on a telephone, so far anyways?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I hate flash sites, but there's a lot of web designers that use it......If the background push notification works as advertised - yes, it's a better solution.

How many hours of battery life do you see in real-life from your iphone?

I have an original Iphone and not running videos or aftermarket apps( ie games and such)....with normal web surfing and mail........i see anywhere from 8 -20 hours between charges. My phone is almost 2.5 years old.

I must admit though....I have seen some bugs pop up on th phone with all the new updates!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I hate flash sites, but there's a lot of web designers that use it......If the background push notification works as advertised - yes, it's a better solution.

How many hours of battery life do you see in real-life from your iphone?
Depends on how much i use the screen, Wifi, 3G etc. In standby with the occasion email or text, 2 work days.

On a big travel day to europe, when i use the ipod and not much else, 8 hours or so? With full screen movies playing, probably 3-4 hours (2 normal length movies are no problem, but then i hit 20% or so battery?

When i am bored and sitting on 3g sending emails, playing on the web, using my ipod, maybe...4 hours? 3g really kills the battery quickly.

I have fetch set to 15 mins for email, bluetooth off, wifi searching/notification off, 3G on if available.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Given that it seems all the phones around currently give about the same amount of runtime, I think your criticism is a little ridiculous :rolleyes:

I'm not in a 3G area but I get 5+ hours of constant data/application usage. I charge it about every other day if I'm doing average usage which, for me, entails ~30-50 minutes on the phone, email all day, occasional checks online for this or that, and sporadic application/game usage. On a heavy day, it lasts all day and I charge it after I get home.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incidentally, I can't friggin' believe nobody has a good turn by turn app for the phone yet. Why did TomTom enter into the contract? They claimed they were working on an app and it'd be out at the end of 2007 if I remember correctly.

The one that's out for the jailbroken iPhones is really poor.

There's no criticism there....it's a question.
:monkey:
Sorry, guess I misread the tone. Stating that the battery potentially "sucks so bad" has strong overtones of pre-conceived negativity.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the sirius application will be popular with howard stern fans if and when it gets released.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the sirius application will be popular with howard stern fans if and when it gets released.
the only thing that gets released from stern fans is loads their wives won't swallow, in which case, they should stick to their palm