Quantcast

iPhone 4G - user replaceable battery?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In fairness, though, it's only taken, what, 4 years for other companies to offer a UI and app selection that's been standard on the iPhone for years?

Yes, the non-user-replaceable battery sucks. But it ain't like it's exactly been a huge stumbling block to the phone's success.

My biggest beef is still a lack of widgets and tight restriction over the apps ability to integrate with the system. The replaceable battery is really small peanuts IMO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know, I just wanted to be a hater. But its just another example that highlights Apple's questionably deliberate withholding of common features on early gen devices.

Don't get me wrong, I think Apple makes great hardware. What's turning me off of them is their business practices and how controlling they are becoming over content.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In fairness, though, it's only taken, what, 4 years for other companies to offer a UI and app selection that's been standard on the iPhone for years?
Actually it was most other smartphones that had third party apps from the start, not Apple. There was no jailbreaking required, in fact many encouraged third party apps due the corporate roots where custom applications are one of the killer apps for those customers. Integration with system was long possible.

The only thing the other brands did add was add emphasis on unnecessarily central app stores due to iTunes success (RIM had a centralized but not mandatory web portal through their default webpage on the BB browser before the iPhone existed). The requirement for restricted and centralized app stores for applications are not needed on PCs, why on smartphones?

Many people forget the GUI look/style and form factor came from LG, not Apple. Apple rarely truly thinks different, they just marketing themselves at such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually it was most other smartphones that had third party apps from the start, not Apple. There was no jailbreaking required, in fact many encouraged third party apps due the corporate roots where custom applications are one of the killer apps for those customers. Integration with system was long possible.

The only thing the other brands did add was add emphasis on unnecessarily central app stores due to iTunes success (RIM had a centralized but not mandatory web portal through their default webpage on the BB browser before the iPhone existed). The requirement for restricted and centralized app stores for applications are not needed on PCs, why on smartphones?
I have one word for you: results.

They got results. They got results because they delivered what the public wanted, not what the tech nerds wanted or thought they needed. They got results because they recognized that business users weren't the only people who wanted high-tech smartphones. They got results because they delivered an ultra-clean, sanitized, carefully moderated app selection wherein virtually all of the apps work, work well, and offer a clean and similar experience to the end user.

I disagree with some of these practices but at the same time, I have an iPhone. I have it because until recently, it was far and away the best-of-breed. And a lot of this is due to Apple's practices that I disagree with. The single most important part of an integrated device like a phone is the user experience, and that's where these tightly controlled applications, restrictions on system integration, and unified UI/hardware come into play.

I'm drawn to Android now that it's polished and offers great hardware alternatives but until the recent inclusion of phones like the Droid and the Nexus One, that didn't exist.

The fact again remains: the people who did it first are wonderful pioneers, but they don't matter as time marches on. The people who see the best implementation and seize the opportunity are the ones who end up being the winners.

edit: this fixation on the "think different" motto is retarded. I don't care if it's different. I only care that it works. It works damn well. It's a neat, pretty package all tied up with a bow and polished to a mirror shine. And that's the best thing an integrated, daily-use device can be: polished.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The single most important part of an integrated device like a phone is the user experience, and that's where these tightly controlled applications, restrictions on system integration, and unified UI/hardware come into play.
But at what cost? These policies can and will drive away very talented developers who don't want to deal with these restrictions.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My sony has very similar UI and transitions to the original iphone. However the iphone is more refined... and of course not touch-screen based.

@syadasti, the idea is far from novel. All the "new" phones today are refinements of the pre-phone PDAs of the 90s into the 2000s. I used to rock this thing... it was a great little device.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nokia and RIM are still the worldwide leaders. RIM still has more growth than the other platforms (including Nokia) despite their need for a total OS revamp and much smaller company size and R&D budget compared to Apple. Their choice to make many form factors and carriers rather than all in one basket/carrier has been the most successful one year after year.

Its Apple and Jobs who continues to make silly claims of thinking different and being revolutionary, so its just as retarded as their overhyped BS marketing.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have one word for you: results.

edit: this fixation on the "think different" motto is retarded. I don't care if it's different. I only care that it works. It works damn well. It's a neat, pretty package all tied up with a bow and polished to a mirror shine. And that's the best thing an integrated, daily-use device can be: polished.
Yes and yes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
But at what cost? These policies can and will drive away very talented developers who don't want to deal with these restrictions.
Of course. There is a balance to be struck and I don't think Apple is hitting that balance. And, IMO, they will destroy their platform if they don't make changes.

My point is it is because, and not in spite of, these policies that this platform has been wildly successful with the average person.

Again, syadasti, these are all red herrings. RIM offers a huge lineup of phones, enterprise integration software, sells phones to all carriers and is specifically catering to businesses which make up a huge part of the smartphone market. Nokia has an enormous lineup of phones and sells to all carriers as well. Both are extremely well-established over the course of the last 10+ years. Them being industry leaders is not surprising.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Again, syadasti, these are all red herrings. RIM offers a huge lineup of phones, enterprise integration software, sells phones to all carriers and is specifically catering to businesses which make up a huge part of the smartphone market. Nokia has an enormous lineup of phones and sells to all carriers as well. Both are extremely well-established over the course of the last 10+ years. Them being industry leaders is not surprising.
Apple's all in one basket model was their choice and intention, they have much more R&D resources than RIM (especially at the time the iPhone was being developed) and are a much larger company. Apple traditionally takes the approach of only a few models at most but its not always the best approach especially in a diverse, complex market like mobile phones.

RIM's current growth is fueled by almost completely by consumers and their consumer/multimedia centric offerings. RIM's growth is still stronger than anyone else, including Apple. Nokia is actually losing market share but by far the biggest.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
In many cases, a user replaceable battery makes the overall package a little larger. I would rather have the smallest device possible in a phone.

Will probably get one, and my work will pay for it. Not sure if I'll keep or sell my flawless 3G.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In many cases, a user replaceable battery makes the overall package a little larger. I would rather have the smallest device possible in a phone.

Will probably get one, and my work will pay for it. Not sure if I'll keep or sell my flawless 3G.
If you've seen the new photos, they're basically the same size. I'll take the user replaceable one. Sometimes when I travel, I pack an extra battery in case it's a long time before I'm able to charge up again. Do the same with my camera.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Finally a front facing camera.....i cannot wait for the chat roulette app.
there is not a single network in the domestic US right now that could handle the bandwidth required for streaming video chat. MAYBE once 4G rolls out, but even then I suspect that might be something that carriers will charge a premium for.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
there is not a single network in the domestic US right now that could handle the bandwidth required for streaming video chat. MAYBE once 4G rolls out, but even then I suspect that might be something that carriers will charge a premium for.
It will be fine over wifi though...

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
I think if they do announce it for vzw, it won't come out till verizon has 4g which will be around early 2011 I hear. Doesn't verizon have a ****load more bandwith then at&t anyway?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
im wondering if this is going to launch with verizons LTE network.

a little birdie told me to expect a 4g network sooner than you think.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wouldn't recommend believing every iPhone rumor you guys read on the internet
if youve read or even glanced at any of the articles about this stolen phone, it would seem that this is indeed real. the industrial design might not be final, but the internals seem to be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if youve read or even glanced at any of the articles about this stolen phone, it would seem that this is indeed real. the industrial design might not be final, but the internals seem to be.
Yea, it pointed out that if this were a hoax, someone has an AWFUL lot of time and money on their hands.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yea, it pointed out that if this were a hoax, someone has an AWFUL lot of time and money on their hands.
Has to be an intentional leak from Apple. I don't see how the employee could be that dumb and how Gizmodo would break the law in so many ways and then post it so thousands/anyone could read about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Has to be an intentional leak from Apple. I don't see how the employee could be that dumb and how Gizmodo would break the law in so many ways and then post it so thousands/anyone could read about it.
fan boys can do stupid things when frothing about a new apple product

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Worked with a company that was trying to get a contract machining the frame for that thing. If it isn't real someone went through a lot of work to make it look very close.

On a side note, Apples specification for manufacturing of parts is so far off of what most industry standards are. In fact they had no specifications, it was 100% subjective. On a subjective level everything had to be perfect which has two problems. They are driving their own costs up for no reason and there is no way to have real quality control once they hit full production. It was a real head-scratching process.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yup and i dont think someone would go through that effort. especially to get parts of the board to say apple on them

accepting stolen merchandise isnt anything good, let alone bragging about paying $5000 for it too

and you can bet Gizmodo will be the last tech site to get a press release and or sample/demo :rolleyes:

i bet apple.com, er, engadget.com was pissed they didnt have a chance to buy it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
4.5 million pageviews in exchange for a lawsuit... might be worth it yet to Gizmodo.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
of parts is so far off of what most industry standards are. In fact they had no specifications, it was 100% subjective. On a subjective level everything had to be perfect which has two problems. They are driving their own costs up for no reason and there is no way to have real quality control once they hit full production. It was a real head-scratching process.
What a nightmare that must become when the definition of perfect isn't shared... Sounds retarded.