Quantcast

iPhone 5, and I don't care

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hmmmm I only replace my phone when I break it. had a nokia for 6 years, a blackberrry for 4 until I broke the screen, now a Droid X since it came out, probably keep it until I break it.

Just thought about it, I don't own a single apple product or any portable music player unless you count my phone but no music is loaded in it either

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a smart phone. I love my smart phone. As long as I can talk on the phone, check e-mail and surf the web I do not see the big difference between phones. They are a commodity product. Until I can get one where I can connect a real keyboard, screen and run Catia, Matlab or other real computer program and ditch my PC, I do not care.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm getting an Iphone, either the new one Iphone 4S or a discount on the last model.

I am a smart phone junkie and I like the Ipod platform.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
if anyone is planning on a new android device by the end of the year, do yourselves a favor and get the Samsung Nexus Prime (or maybe Galaxy prime). Not officially announced, but that will be taken care of next week. First Android ice cream sandwich (ver 4.0) device, and hardware specs above anything else on the market.
I had a Samsung Infuse for a couple weeks. The GPS was terrible and it was due to the hardware. That's half the reason for having a smartphone. I traded it last Friday for a Motorola Atrix and the GPS works great.

I just switched from my Blackkberry. Android phones are so cool. This thing is more powerful than most of my computers. The voice commands blow me away.

The fact is that the Blackberry really was a good email tool. I really miss the keyboard, but I'm getting used to Swype.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had a Samsung Infuse for a couple weeks. The GPS was terrible and it was due to the hardware. That's half the reason for having a smartphone. I traded it last Friday for a Motorola Atrix and the GPS works great.

I just switched from my Blackkberry. Android phones are so cool. This thing is more powerful than most of my computers. The voice commands blow me away.

The fact is that the Blackberry really was a good email tool. I really miss the keyboard, but I'm getting used to Swype.
this has nothing to do with the device i recommended.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I pay $321/year($26.75 w/taxes/month) for 300 minutes with unlimited txt/3G data on Sprint's network (via Virgin Mobile). Coverage is better than Tmobile but not as good as Verizon in my area - I'd say on par with ATT. Screw post paid, I'll wait for prepaid 4G (tmobile just launched 4G prepaid with Walmart BTW) when the network is more robust and mature and actual true 4G (nobody is yet).
Totally agree screw post paid if pre paid is cheaper. Its not like the money does anything good in the bank anyway. Pretty good plan and if I did not have a company phone I would be more than happy with Sprint.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
this has nothing to do with the device i recommended.
Sorry. I got sidetracked there. In my research I have found that a lot of Samsung smartphones have junk GPS. I am seeing complaints about the GS2 already. I liked everything else (except short battery life and long charging time) on the Infuse, but I gave up on Samsung until they decide to use decent GPS hardware.

I would think that GPS is important to mountain bikers. I hear that there are some mountain bikers on RM so I just wanted to give my input.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why is it everyone i know what a Android phone has problems with the phone "bogging" down or becoming very slow and no one i know with a Iphone has this problem?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i dont have that issue. then again, i rooted and removed the bloatware
I don't have that issue either even with an entry level unrooted android phone with poor specs. If you don't pay attention to where applications are installed and you run out of space or try to run too many applications (just like on a real PC with Windows or OSX - iOS doesn't have true native multitasking like android) the machine will crawl. This is nothing new in the computing world.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you don't pay attention to where applications are installed and you run out of space or try to run too many applications (just like on a real PC with Windows or OSX - iOS doesn't have true native multitasking like android) the machine will crawl. This is nothing new in the computing world.
yet i have 103 apps with zero problems on IOS and they all have significantly less apps but their phones crawl.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
yet i have 103 apps with zero problems on IOS and they all have significantly less apps but their phones crawl.
Number of apps installed has nothing to do with the problem if you still have free space. My phone doesn't crawl with tons of installed apps and its far lower specs than your phone.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
why is it everyone i know what a Android phone has problems with the phone "bogging" down or becoming very slow and no one i know with a Iphone has this problem?
My Droid blows on this issue, and it is the primary reason I'm considering going to an iPhone . . . well a big reason. My friends with iPhones can shred me if we both try to look something up at the same time. The camera is also better/faster.

I do love the free voice navigation on the Droid, though.

Oddly, still interested in the Windows phones.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My Droid blows on this issue, and it is the primary reason I'm considering going to an iPhone . . . well a big reason. My friends with iPhones can shred me if we both try to look something up at the same time. The camera is also better/faster.

I do love the free voice navigation on the Droid, though.

Oddly, still interested in the Windows phones.
according to syadasti, its user error. duh

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
i will stick with my ghetto water proof phone, i i don't really use my phone anyway. typically just have it with me riding so if i knock my self out i can call for help when i wake up. i never got why people get so excited over a phone, its probably the people that hate there life and have nothing else to look forwards to.
HERE HERE!!!
I'm with you man... I just bought my 2nd cell phone EVER, and I'm not some grom/fanboi... I'm 38!
Held out forever getting my first until the wife insisted. That was maybe 2001 or 2002... held onto that phone until about 6 months ago when the battery pretty much died on me and I couldn't get chargers for it any more (before the days of mini USB or Micro USB). Shoot, they were still using serial connections on computers back then.

When I got me new phone I got a nice simple "rugged" phone that I can hurl against the wall when I get pissed after talking to someone. This one actually has a CAMERA though, so I am slowly catching up to modern technology. I went to show someone something on my phone and they tried to scroll down by touching the screen... then they said, How come it isnt working? DUH... it isnt a touchscreen beotch!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
hmmmm I only replace my phone when I break it. had a nokia for 6 years, a blackberrry for 4 until I broke the screen, now a Droid X since it came out, probably keep it until I break it.

Just thought about it, I don't own a single apple product or any portable music player unless you count my phone but no music is loaded in it either
Ditto.. EXCEPT I have to have my MP3 player (NON apple of course). It is so awesome to be able to have your entire music collection on a tiny little device that you can take anywhere. No more lugging around CD's, you can easily queue up anything you want to listen to... great for road trips etc.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
what other stuff do you have your hands on right now?
Your mom.

In all seriousness, I am working with a lot of tablets right now (nothing pre-production anymore, was working with the Galaxy 10.1 before it was released). For phones, nothing worth while as of right now. Droid Bionic and HD are ehhhhh.

Yeah- still haven't found anything that's seemed more awesome than my incredible except for maybe my wife's incredible 2(just because of battery life). Feels weird to not be envious of new phones...
The Incredible 2 or Droid X2 Refresh are the best Android phones I have used so far.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I don't know what that is, but I wouldn't get it simply based on the ghey name.
Ice cream sandwich = new google OS. If you haven't noticed, all of their OS names are "ghey" dessert names. Anyway, ICS is supposed to be 1 OS for both tablets and phones so it's a hybrid of current gingerbread and honeycomb operating systems. (The reason for calling it Ice Cream Sandwich).

Features it should bring:
USB host: so you can actually hook up peripherals. Finally!
Facial recognition
Near Field Communication sharing
Easier cloud music
Ability to save webpages for offline viewing
New launcher
New system manager
New multitasking ui

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
latest rumor from the intert00bz:

nexus prime, first ICS device, will have a tablet dock. makes a lot of sense considering ICS is the tablet and phone versions/gui's cooked into one platform.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My original 3G iPhone is starting to show it's age. Main button has to be pressed very hard. Vibrate swich is completely broken and will randomly turn ringer on and off. And you have to put the power cable in it just right for it to start taking a charge.

Anyway, I've been waiting for the new phone to come out so the price of the i4 will be driven way down and I can get an upgrade for cheap... so I'm pretty pumped about it :)