Quantcast

Iphone heart rate monitor? or something else..?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I guess when you get old and you don't exercise often, you start getting fat... who knew?

I'd like to get some device to help me get back into shape. I'm thinking a heart rate thingy might help?

I have an older iphone...

Thought something like this might work?
http://www.digifit.com/

Thoughts/suggestions/bacon?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't have time to ride all the time. I do have a treadmill so I've been walk/running on it recently. I'd like to maximize my time on the mill...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I find that they're helpful to have for training. They're certainly not necessary, but they have benefits. There's the obvious utility where it can help you keep your works as intense, or maybe even more importantly as relaxed, as you want. If you're into numbers at all, being able to look at those afterward and compare them to previous trips along the same route can be motivational also. I like using one most of the time. Where they'll be most useful, of course, is is you're trying to stick with some sort of training plan.

My experience is limited to the Garmin Forerunner 305 that I have. It's still working well so I haven't looked at any other options recently. My biggest disappointment has been Garmin's software. It's okay, but not great. I use Sport Tracks instead. There's an updated version called the 310xt which is supposed to have some nice features like better water resistance.

The 60Beat sounds interesting. It seems that's all you would need besides the phone. My concern is that you have to carry the phone in order to use the HR monitor. If you're running or biking there are lots of opportunities for damage.

If all you want is an HR monitor there are some less expensive non-GPS options out there. Polar comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My phone is always with me.
that's why I thought it could be a good tool to use...

Currently using Strava (the free version) and I like the interface. *I realize the data isn't allways correct. It told me my max speed was 30mph the other day and I KNOW that's incorrect...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My phone is always with me.
that's why I thought it could be a good tool to use...

Currently using Strava (the free version) and I like the interface. *I realize the data isn't allways correct. It told me my max speed was 30mph the other day and I KNOW that's incorrect...
Sounds like the strap could work well for you. I'd go for it.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I just had to replace my iphone from getting it a little wet, part of which I know was sweat from me running with it in my pocket. I think from now on I am going to put it in a ziplock baggie when I jog/ride with it. I like that it has the data logging capabilities because for some reason doing just a little more than my last ride/run/hike is what's motivating me right now.