iPhone/mobile layout or Tapatalk support, please

Mobile support options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
we've gone over this before. response from admins: no.
Actually, that's been the exact opposite of the response from the admins. I have explicitly stated that a mobile skin is on the drawing board.

Toshi, I would love a mobile skin and it's on the board to get worked on. I've been tossing around the idea of using tapatalk as a temporary stop-gap solution but there was a recent security vulnerability that makes me hesitant.

The numbers show, though, that mobile users are less than 1% of both our page views and our visitors. Budget is a little tight right now. That doesn't mean "no" it just means that it needs to get worked on as there is time and money to do so, since the overall impact is fairly small at the moment.

I have expressed to all important parties that I think a mobile skin is crucial and we're all in agreement about doing it, the question is only when.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Its probably so low because reading the monkey on an iphone sucks. definitely a site that isn't very friendly to a small screen
I don't go on the Monkey all that often when I'm working on a boat for this reason. I don't have WiFi on the boat, only (sporadic) 3G.

I'd love to see an iPhone friendly version too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually, that's been the exact opposite of the response from the admins. I have explicitly stated that a mobile skin is on the drawing board.

Toshi, I would love a mobile skin and it's on the board to get worked on. I've been tossing around the idea of using tapatalk as a temporary stop-gap solution but there was a recent security vulnerability that makes me hesitant.

The numbers show, though, that mobile users are less than 1% of both our page views and our visitors. Budget is a little tight right now. That doesn't mean "no" it just means that it needs to get worked on as there is time and money to do so, since the overall impact is fairly small at the moment.

I have expressed to all important parties that I think a mobile skin is crucial and we're all in agreement about doing it, the question is only when.
fix the gifs first!!! :rant:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Its probably so low because reading the monkey on an iphone sucks. definitely a site that isn't very friendly to a small screen
It's possible that traffic would increase, but even if it went up by 4x - which is very unlikely - it's still a tiny little fraction.

Like I said, it's absolutely something we'll be doing but it's difficult to prioritize ahead of other ongoing projects. It's something I'm considering taking on as a pet project but I don't have the bandwidth for it at the moment.

jonKranked, our coding guy is currently, as of a few days ago, incommunicado while he piles through projects for this and another site, and the .gifs are on the list of projects so look for it soon :thumb:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I bet you'd find that the number of mobile users would be huge when this site gets mobile.

Even when I have internet, I still check in every now and then on my iPhone. And this site sucks on an iPhone.

Get it done!!! I have 20 more days till I'm back on the boat!!!

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
If it's easy to post pics, then the site would see an overall increase due to people posting ride pics etc... Just don't use anything that requires me to buy an app. The Tapatalk message while loading boards is too invasive and annoying for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We're working on the logistics of this now. No promises on a timeline right away.

vBulletin 4 changed the way styles are implemented, so it's silly to work on a style for this version. We're going to plan around an upgrade + mobile style in one shot.

moegocanes

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Northern California
Is the lack of ad revenue when using tapatalk (or in my case Board Express on Windows Phone7) an issue? mtbr runs smooth on it and from what I can tell its an easy process.

Just askin.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Seriously? You don't have to resize every window after you click a link?
... and then zoom way in to get to the "next page" navigation :rofl:
Nope, my browser seems to autosize every window/thread I come into. Might just be my browser/setup. It's set so the whole layout (white portion of the RM page between the grey borders) takes up the full width of my screen, and the text wraps to fit in that width. Only thing I have to zoom out for is large pictures.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Noob question: what is Tapatalk?
app that intereprets the back end database of a forum and can present it in a mobile optimized format. or something like that.

i use the xda forum app on my phone. more hassle than its really worth, so i just stopped bothering posting from mobile devices.

i use the regular site on my tablet. more real estate = easier to work.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've never really had issues with regular browsing/posting on forums from my newer smartphones. It's stuff like uploading pics and whatnot that starts to get somewhat sucky and I'd rather not do from my phone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
VB4 upgrade is being worked on (we have had some problems migrating some of the modules), and a mobile skin will be created after we've done that... so no tapatalk, but a mobile skin is on the horizon.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
don't.

tapatalk posts on other sites are so goddamn annoying.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, the stupid default Tapatalk signature is annoying. I'd probably put it into our curse filter to just delete it. But I don't think Tapatalk is as good as a mobile skin because it doesn't work on all devices, it requires you to launch a separate app instead of just visiting a site during your browsing session, and the app costs money.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
In matters of geek speak....i defer to the all knowing/seeing eyebrow. :D