Quantcast

iphone took a bath

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So my wife's iphone took a bath the other day. I won't get into how it happened, but we were unfortunately at a place where we couldn't immediately treat the thing.

I don't know what secret button combination turns the damned thing off, so it stayed on, with the flashlight on, getting really hot until I presume the battery died.

We now have it in a bucket of rice trying to dry out. Initial tests to plug it in did diddly.

How screwed are we? I'm going to try and open it tonight if I can get a jewelers flat blade into the tiny proprietary jam apple uses.

We're fortunate in that our contracts/renewal discounts come in at the end of the month, but I'd like to get it working again before then, at least to save her music/apps/photos.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
youre probably SOL but the music and apps should all be saved through her itunes. photos and videos are probably a lost cause unless she backed them up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
youre probably SOL but the music and apps should all be saved through her itunes. photos and videos are probably a lost cause unless she backed them up.
that's what I figured. It's not easy to dunk your electronics and have them work. The key is to get the battery out ASAP. Too bad it's an eye fone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Very screwed.

The fact that the device remained on after the water got into it is the big problem. If you can turn electronics off and then dry them out, there's a good chance they'll be okay.

If it were me, I'd buy the kit from ifixit to get into the iPhone. They have the screwdrivers and tools necessary to take it apart without damaging anything.