Quantcast

iPhone users who aren't Apple fan boys

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Anybody have any experience with the Blackberry 8900?
Went and checked phones out today. It had the best ergonomics.
I'm trying to get away with not having a data plan. Is there a way to get email on your BB without the data plan when not using WiFi?
If I'm going to get a data plan, then the iPhone works out better money wise. I'm still overly concerned that the Apple user interface will drive my PC mind crazy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anybody have any experience with the Blackberry 8900?
Went and checked phones out today. It had the best ergonomics.
I'm trying to get away with not having a data plan. Is there a way to get email on your BB without the data plan when not using WiFi?
If I'm going to get a data plan, then the iPhone works out better money wise. I'm still overly concerned that the Apple user interface will drive my PC mind crazy.
Check to see how ATT does pricing for consumers. Data plans are not required, most providers offer BBs with email only plans for BIS (internet email users - webmail, POP, etc) or BES (business email users - exchange and domino). The default RIM browser isn't very good but you can download Opera Mini for free on your PC and then add the app via the sync software and set it to WiFi mode so you'll still have a decent Internet browser at hotspots.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Check to see how ATT does pricing for consumers. Data plans are not required,
Just checked, and ATT does not offer an email only plan for the BB.
No 3rd party solution for this issue? I don't mind paying for it, but I'm not going to pay $30 when all I really want is email.
I'm leaning towards the 8900. The UMA is looking really good. My house is the only spotty coverage area that I frequent. This would solve that problem and potentially eliminate my home phone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just checked, and ATT does not offer an email only plan for the BB.
No 3rd party solution for this issue? I don't mind paying for it, but I'm not going to pay $30 when all I really want is email.
I'm leaning towards the 8900. The UMA is looking really good. My house is the only spotty coverage area that I frequent. This would solve that problem and potentially eliminate my home phone.
There are third party POP and IMAP clients email apps that work over WiFi. Also IM, search, VOIP, FTP, etc and many of these apps are freeware. Here is a big thread about that:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/blackberry-apps-use-don-t-use-wifi-29376/

If you are saying you would switch to Tmobile for the UMA version (ATT does not have UMA phones), I know for certain they offer email only plans but none of their BB are 3G right now and their US 3G network is worse than ATT. BIS email only plan cost $10/month on top of your voice plan. Unlimited outgoing UMA calling cost $10/month. If you don't have unlimited UMA then calls use your airtime minutes over wifi. If Tmobile has decent coverage in areas where you won't have wifi it a decent option and you can get the 8900 for free:

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Curve-8900-Titanium-T-Mobile/dp/B001PR21A4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1245668289&sr=1-2

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ok... new software has resolved most of my issues. If I break it, I 'll still be getting a bold though.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The keyboard is what kept me away from buying an iphone. That and the company discount on a blackberry at the time. I just prefer a solid qwerty keyboard to type on I know it takes time to get used to it but ive spent hours playing on iphones and still havent gotten it to work out.

I do think the iphone is really cool and I am definitely envious of a few apps/games. I do wish blackberry would step it up in the app department.

The kool-aid I will never drink is waiting in line for a phone!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Alright, this is all well and good, but I need to know about some good Canadian users. My 3 year crapass contract just expired and the main screen on my workhorse Samsung phone just took a dump. I can't read texts anymore, and I can't make use of my missed calls display, or 99.9% of what I need my phone to do.

So, who's got some Canadian feedback on iPhones? I'm pretty much all set to get a 3GS, but believe it or not, they're all sold out for Fido in Vancouver.

A friend of mine gave me the idea to just buy an iPhone without a contract (3yr) and just buy the hardware from Apple.

A 32 Gb costs $799 without a contract or $299 with a 3 yr contract.

Sounds like a huge outlay for a stupid phone. But, the cancellation fee is $400 if you kill the contract before 3 years. Why would I cancel it? I don't know! That's the problem with assessing this risk/benefit!

The main differences between the plans out there (or here in Canada...) are:

Fido (stupid name, I know) offers billing by the second.
Fido also offers "evenings" from 7 pm vs. 9 pm for Rogers
Fido claims that there is no system access fee (monthly) of about $6.95 whereas Rogers has one.

All told, depending on the plan I choose, it will end up costing me around $75 to $85 per month, with either carrier. Let`s just assume that it's more like $75 if I'm careful with my talk time.

Over 3 years, that's $2,700 bucks on user fees. Insane.

Am I going to save more than $500 bucks without a plan?

The $75 scenario is based on having 6 GB a month for $30. Is this worth it? How much are you guys using in terms of surfing? Other options are way lower either 500MB or 1 GB, but have other built in benefits.

Say you use Trailguru for a day, are you going to blow away your data usage if all you have is 1 GB?

Should I focus my value aims at talk (mainly long distance for long convos, and quick 5 minute convos locally), or on data? (Time wasting RM, GPS, email, etc...)

I must admit, I'm kind of keen on not giving someone the pleasure of my business for 3 years without having to try, but then of course, there are only two carriers in Canada: Fido and Rogers. Which are actually only 1 company.

Annoying decision.