Quantcast

iPhone users who aren't Apple fan boys

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I "need" a new phone. My old one died and I was hurried into buying the POS I have. I will never buy anything LG again. It is a complete pile.

Anyways, I want a smartphone that will sync with Outlook. I also want WiFi and GPS. I like the idea of iPhone apps that allow developers to go crazy.
Who has one that isn't drinking the Apple kool-aid? I find my iPod annoying and I think iTunes is borderling unuseable. Yes, I am and old school PC grump.

Does the iPhone force you into proprietary Apple software?

I don't care that it's AT&T only since they are my current carrier and I have been happy with them so far.

Edit: Ooooo, it comes in white now....I'm sold!

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Important notes:

-You are forced into buying a dataplan and txting plans cost extra. You will spend over $2000 minimum over the course of two years if you are buying it on your own without discounts.

-Make sure you live in an area with 3G coverage. ATT 3G coverage isn't that great so you'll often be stuck with EDGE vs. Verizon which has great nationwide 3G coverage.

-You will still need iTunes and an iTunes account for some tasks (activation, firmware updates, apps, backup, restore). Its not required for music and videos transfer - there are third party options if you want to weed through them. If you jailbreak your phone you only need iTunes for activation and firmware - everything else can be done with third party applications.

Around where I live most people I've talked to aren't happy with the iPhone as cellphone, even Apple Co-founder Steve Woz has a Razr for voice calling and didn't even bother with the iPhone for a smartphone until the 3G. One of my friends posted this today on that subject:

JF said:
AT&T just for the iPhone, and frankly, disappointed with the actual call quality, and it seems a lot of AT&T people around here agree with me. Fortunately, I almost never actually TALK on my phone, I'm all about data stuff, so it doesn't really bother me, but if I did, I'd have switched by now.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Important notes:

-You are forced into buying a dataplan and txting plans cost extra. You will spend over $2000 minimum over the course of two years if you are buying it on your own without discounts.

How is that different than any other plan? Assuming that I would have a data plan anyways, the costs seem identical for any other phone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How is that different than any other plan? Assuming that I would have a data plan anyways, the costs seem identical for any other phone.
Data plans are not required on other devices on ATT and carriers. I bought my smartphone only with voice + email plan, no data and I only use Wifi for data (I can wait usually for a real computer as small screens and limiting small keyboard or virtual keyboard suck so I only really use it for quick emails). Cost me just under $1080 total and my 2 year contract expires this month. Half the cost and still does everything I need including working well as a cellphone.

H8R was able to buy a Nokia E71x on ATT without a data plan - see post 59 and higher: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218084&page=3

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Can I buy a Ferrari without the interior? I can just sit on a milk crate to drive it!
No wifi would be more like the race track, its a hell of lot faster than a cellular data network, 3G is currently a fraction of the speed of decent wifi connection:busted:

A first generation iPhone on Wifi has faster connection than 3GS could ever support on HSDPA (and full speed HSDPA won't have decent coverage for a long, long time)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you nailed it. costs are identical to other smartphones with data plans.

i am admittedly a fanboi but one who is critical of gadgets that don't work, and i'm quite happy with my iPhone. the app store is great, mobile safari still is the browser to beat, the phone itself works fine, and all the syncing and such just plain works.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I love my iphone but the coverage definitely sucks balls.
You live in the mountains though, would it really be that much better with another service?

I have a iphone and the only time I don't get coverage is in the mountains (more often than not in NC). But I never got coverage in those same locations with any other phone or carrier.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
syadasti's friend posted -

Originally Posted by JF
AT&T just for the iPhone, and frankly, disappointed with the actual call quality, and it seems a lot of AT&T people around here agree with me. Fortunately, I almost never actually TALK on my phone, I'm all about data stuff, so it doesn't really bother me, but if I did, I'd have switched by now.

Hey smart guy, if you don't need a phone, why are you using a phone for computing??? Why not just compute??? I fear we have gone the way of the crazy with this whole phone thing. :crazy:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I use one for business. I switched over when I accidentally broke my berry. My firm has proprietary software which barely works for our internal tools, so that is part of my dislike. You can not copy/paste which is a joke. If you do not have office 2007 - business, it will not sync to your Iphone. You can not insure it, texts are additional, 3G is a joke. SF has some of the best ATT 3G coverage, and I get dropped regularly.

If I hadn't bought the phone for myself (at discount, with credit from work = $100), I would get a Bold from my company. IF I get non-lazy enough to actually convert stuff over, I will not get another I-phone.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Data plans are not required on other devices on ATT and carriers. I bought my smartphone only with voice + email plan, no data and I only use Wifi for data (I can wait usually for a real computer as small screens and limiting small keyboard or virtual keyboard suck so I only really use it for quick emails). Cost me just under $1080 total and my 2 year contract expires this month. Half the cost and still does everything I need including working well as a cellphone.
The data plan, even the edge network that my old iphone uses is easily the most useful aspect to the phone. If I had a wifi connection everywhere, I'd just use my laptop.

I usually just turn the wifi off because when I'm walking, riding or driving around trying to use the internet or pandora, if I get into someone's wifi range the pages stop loading or the music stops while it tries to switch to wifi briefly and then exceeds the wifi's range until it finally switches back to the edge network.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hey smart guy, if you don't need a phone, why are you using a phone for computing??? Why not just compute??? I fear we have gone the way of the crazy with this whole phone thing. :crazy:
:stupid:

When my Verizon contract is up I am losing the LG Dare and all that crap and just getting a phone that only makes calls and does text messaging. I don't use any of the features my phone has and I know I would never ever use the apps on an iphone. If I want to surf the web I will use my laptop. I hate websurfing on those tiny smartphone screens. :plthumbsdown:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I bought my iPhone a few days ago because I was sick of my old lg. I needed a phone that could sync with my MacBook, so the iPhone was the obvious choice. I love it so far, but it still has limitations.
I'm typing this on it as there is no wifi coverage where I am, but my cellular plan has unlimited Internet usage. For this use it is far above the lg with it's crap stylus. Very thumb friendly.
I like it, but I'll know better after a few weeks use.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No friends = no calls...
Only you would be familiar with that:clue:

drkenan and The Joker don't delude themselves like most fanboys.

The reality (not the ranting of clueless fanboy end-users) is ATT coverage is second rate. I managed a fleet of over two hundred lines of service(cellphone and smartphone) nationwide on the three major carriers (Verizon, Tmobile, and ATT). After an extensive trial the carrier we dropped was ATT - the few regional places that Verizon was not better we had Tmobile (less than a dozen lines) after our trial with the three - all the rest are Verizon cause coverage and quality of service is simply better.

Consumer Reports agrees too.

Jan 2008 - Consumer Reports
CELL PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

Problem: Poor coverage. Substandard service quality was the biggest reason our survey respondents switched carriers in the previous three years, our survey found.

Solution: Listen to our readers’ experiences. Alltel and Verizon got high marks across the board for connectivity.T-Mobile had relatively high satisfaction scores, but customers experienced problems with lack of service in some cities. Subscribers also highlighted problems with AT&T for gaps in service and static, and with Sprint for dropped calls. Check the signal strength down to street level in areas where you‘ll use the phone most frequently. Interactive online coverage maps, offered by most carriers except Alltel, provide some guidance as to what you can expect

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I bought my iPhone a few days ago because I was sick of my old lg. I needed a phone that could sync with my MacBook, so the iPhone was the obvious choice. I love it so far, but it still has limitations.
I'm typing this on it as there is no wifi coverage where I am, but my cellular plan has unlimited Internet usage. For this use it is far above the lg with it's crap stylus. Very thumb friendly.
I like it, but I'll know better after a few weeks use.
You bought an iphone a couple days ago....? wow. that sucks. if you coulda made it another couple months you would get a 3GS.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You bought an iphone a couple days ago....? wow. that sucks. if you coulda made it another couple months you would get a 3GS.
Well if its like the US market most carriers give you thirty days to cancel/bring it back for something else.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Important notes:

-Make sure you live in an area with 3G coverage. ATT 3G coverage isn't that great so you'll often be stuck with EDGE vs. Verizon which has great nationwide 3G coverage.

-You will still need iTunes and an iTunes account for some tasks (activation, firmware updates, apps, backup, restore). Its not required for music and videos transfer - there are third party options if you want to weed through them. If you jailbreak your phone you only need iTunes for activation and firmware - everything else can be done with third party applications.

Around where I live most people I've talked to aren't happy with the iPhone as cellphone, even Apple Co-founder Steve Woz has a Razr for voice calling and didn't even bother with the iPhone for a smartphone until the 3G. One of my friends posted this today on that subject:
Your custom title says it all.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your custom title says it all.
Yes and typical of most computer and cycling end users you are completely out of your element as your title says.

Come back when you manage hundreds of lines of cellular/smartphone/aircard service on the major carriers (Verizon, ATT, and T-mobile) in the lower 48, Puerto Rico, Guam, HI, AK, and Canada. We canceled our ATT contract long ago cause they are inferior and only kept less than a dozen on T-mobile for those few regional areas were Verizon was not better (I only stayed on Tmobile myself because it was cheap). My boss switched back to Verizon after the trial period.

My contract ends this month and I'm not buying or switching to anything - nothing new is that compelling right now.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I love my iPhone. It took a little bit of dicking around to make my contact book on my computer sync OTA with the phone and my mail contacts, but now that I've got that going, I'm very happy.

For all of Syadasti's whining about the $2000 plan that you're forced into, I was paying the same when I had my Blackberry...and the Blackberry doesn't do IMAP for ****. For my needs, the iPhone is much more useful.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For all of Syadasti's whining about the $2000 plan that you're forced into, I was paying the same when I had my Blackberry...and the Blackberry doesn't do IMAP for ****. For my needs, the iPhone is much more useful.
So what, again, a data plan is not required for BIS/BES service (or the Nokia E71x H8R was raving about a few weeks ago). I have no data plan myself so I paid less than half that of an iPhone user and my equipment was free and I was not forced in to buying sub par overpriced ATT service which is about the same quality as the cheapest provider on the market (Tmobile) and isn't much better than the worst provider (Sprint). As the BB has always had third party apps, it can do whatever I want and I'm not forced to use iTunes bloatware or whatever app store equal RIM has to get the app. The BB browses the Internet just as well as the iPhone did when it came out cause you can just install Opera Mini for free. No "real Internet" like some smartphones though, cause just like the iPhone, it does not support flash.

BIS does not support IMAP but BES or third party clients do (and there are freeware clients like http://logicmail.org/ ). Most people with IMAP accounts would be in a situation where BES would make sense and if you are the sole BB user in your org or they are too cheap, get hosted BES account for $10/month if you don't want to use third party IMAP clients.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti just doesn't get it. tyler, play with the iPhone at teh apple store. there are many reasonable people out there who don't have steve job shrines in their ikea-furnished apartments who are enamored of their iPhones.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Actually its only fanboys like that you don't get it, ATT has inferior service to Verizon. If you don't have decent coverage (and some may argue highspeed coverage which is the reason Apple co-founder Woz was cursing the first generation model), a smartphone is completely useless and its subpar as its primary function, a cell phone.
That's kind of a moot point for me since I'll be using ATT regardless.
Their phone coverage is perfectly fine if not better than most for Seattle. I specifically choose them over T-mobile years back since their coverage for the state in general was much better.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So what, again, a data plan is not required for BIS/BES service (or the Nokia E71x H8R was raving about a few weeks ago). I have no data plan myself so I paid less than half that of an iPhone user and my equipment was free and I was not forced in to buying sub par overpriced ATT service which is about the same quality as the cheapest provider on the market (Tmobile) and isn't much better than the worst provider (Sprint). As the BB has always had third party apps, it can do whatever I want and I'm not forced to use iTunes bloatware or whatever app store equal RIM has to get the app. The BB browses the Internet just as well as the iPhone did when it came out cause you can just install Opera Mini for free. No "real Internet" like some smartphones though, cause just like the iPhone, it does not support flash.

BIS does not support IMAP but BES or third party clients do (and there are freeware clients like http://logicmail.org/ ). Most people with IMAP accounts would be in a situation where BES would make sense and if you are the sole BB user in your org or they are too cheap, get hosted BES account for $10/month if you don't want to use third party IMAP clients.
You have no data plan but you can still get functioning IMAP and internet working?

Look, if you were comparing apples to apples no one would be objecting. The fact is, my phone replaces my Franklin, my phone, my blackberry, my iPod for casual music use (not long trips) and also allows quickie internet access, which comes in handy more often than I thought it would.

The only downside is that I'm charging it a lot...on the other hand, I'm using it a ton.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You have no data plan but you can still get functioning IMAP
Yes with BES. You only need to buy a BES email plan, no data plan is required. Also important for many business and government workers is that they make models with and without cameras which they do. Cameraphones are not allowed by many employers. Apple does not give you the choice in providers, equipment, user swappable/servicable battery/memory/sim, application sources, etc. Big brother Apple knows best :p

My 8GB microSD card cost me $25 and I can get a bigger one if I want or an extended or extra battery plus I'm not suck with proprietary connectors for anything.

Last edited:

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I've had my iPHone for about 6-months now and like it quite a bit. I always have been a fan of Apple products but really don't consider myself a fanboy... if they make a crappy product, I won't buy it.

I think the iPhone is pretty awesome for the most part, but what I don't like about it:

- AT&T's coverage sucks hairy chestnuts. We wanted to get rid of our landline but can't because we get crappy coverage in our own home. We actually have to go outside to make a call, and even then it is MAYBE two-bars. This is my biggest complaint.
- Wish the touch screen were sensitive to gloved-hands. I sometimes am using it as a GPS (Trailguru) when I bike but I always have to take off my gloves to mess with it, which is a big PITA.
- Wish the iPod feature were easier to use. When I'm driving and it's plugged in... if I wanted to skip to the next song, I feel it's too many steps. Hit power button, slide lock feature, hit "skip" etc, and I guess I can't do it without looking at it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes with BES. You only need to buy a BES email plan, no data plan is required. Also important for many business and government workers is that they make models with and without cameras which they do. Cameraphones are not allowed by many employers. Apple does not give you the choice in providers, equipment, user swappable/servicable battery/memory/sim, application sources, etc. Big brother Apple knows best :p

My 8GB microSD card cost me $25 and I can get a bigger one if I want or an extended or extra battery plus I'm not suck with proprietary connectors for anything.
And then you don't get any of the other stuff that a data plan gives you, and you're paying another outside service a monthly fee. But that doesn't count, of course...

You're either a retard, or you're an incredibly disingenuous pedantic prick. Or both?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And then you don't get any of the other stuff that a data plan gives you, and you're paying another outside service a monthly fee. But that doesn't count, of course...
Its the same cost with full data plan, not an additional fee for email. Other smartphone choices give you the option to fit your actual needs if you could think for yourself - its a bit too much to ask the average end user like yourself. Daddy Apple does not hold your hand and force you to buy crappy service on ATT like with the iPhone.

Wifi lets you do everything cellular data service does at several times the speed for free or at the very least cheaper than a cellular data plan and for many areas coverage isn't any different than nascent US 3G providers like ATT and Tmobile.

This is the reason why some companies have closed all their field landline accounts, stopped issuing laptops, and give all their field employee UMA smartphones - any place with hardwired Internet connection (like their home) just needs a cheap wifi router for instant cell and data coverage. Also the fact that on the iPhone some apps are only authorized for wifi, MMS is "coming soon", and tethering is still not around clearly demonstrates ATT's cellular data network sucks balls.

That's the reality, not useless fanboy delusions. Even Apple's Woz wouldn't even touch the iPhone before 3G and the 3G coverage is still not up to par.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wish the iPod feature were easier to use. When I'm driving and it's plugged in... if I wanted to skip to the next song, I feel it's too many steps. Hit power button, slide lock feature, hit "skip" etc, and I guess I can't do it without looking at it.
even if the device is locked try hitting home twice while playing a song. a little pause/back/forward/volume mini floater should pop right up. works when locked, works in other apps, too.

handy, eh? :banana:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Its the same cost with full data plan, not an additional fee for email. Other smartphone choices give you the option to fit your actual needs if you could think for yourself - its a bit too much to ask the average end user like yourself. Daddy Apple does not hold your hand and force you to buy crappy service on ATT like with the iPhone.

Wifi lets you do everything cellular data service does at several times the speed for free or at the very least cheaper than a cellular data plan and for many areas coverage isn't any different than nascent US 3G providers like ATT and Tmobile.

This is the reason why some companies have closed all their field landline accounts, stopped issuing laptops, and give all their field employee UMA smartphones - any place with hardwired Internet connection (like their home) just needs a cheap wifi router for instant cell and data coverage. Also the fact that on the iPhone some apps are only authorized for wifi, SMS is "coming soon", and tethering is still not around clearly demonstrates ATT's cellular data network sucks balls.

That's the reality, not useless fanboy delusions. Even Apple's Woz wouldn't even touch the iPhone before 3G and the 3G coverage is still not up to par.
I've never seen anyone argue against a product so much. No one gives a **** that you sucked some Verizon guys dick for better service, but fact of the matter is, Verizon isn't the best everywhere.

AT&T works for me and my Bold. I'm going to get a new iPhone though because nothing is easier to use, syncs with my mac better, and it has 32 GB which fits all the music I would want to carry.

I've had 2 iPhones, a Nokia E71, a BB Curve and now a Bold, and i can't wait to get a new iPhone. Nothing works better for a multi-use device.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've never seen anyone argue against a product so much. No one gives a **** that you sucked some Verizon guys dick for better service, but fact of the matter is, Verizon isn't the best everywhere.

I've had 2 iPhones, a Nokia E71, a BB Curve and now a Bold, and i can't wait to get a new iPhone. Nothing works better for a multi-use device.
I'm on T-mobile genius, so that shatters that idea. Verizon has poor customer service and equipment deals because coverage and call quality matters most above all else and people are willing to hold their nose for that.

Overall their coverage is best and that is the reality, especially for 3G data coverage which make smartphones viable for rich cellular data services. We had hundreds of lines all across the country - our sample size (and Consumer Report's) is valid, yours is not. Verizon has the best nationwide coverage, that's a fact and they are even stronger now that they have Alltel. And as I said for those rare regional coverage gaps we kept T-mobile and dropped ATT, I never said they are the best everywhere. T-mobile and ATT have second tier coverage but unlike ATT, T-mobile is the cheapest out there.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
1. I am admittedly an Apple fanboi/evangelist
2. I've used Verizon, T-mobile, & AT&T over the past 10 years as my providers
a. Verizon - average coverage area, bad customer service, limited # of company owned stores, horrible selection of "international" compatible phones and plans
b. T-mobile - worst coverage area, decent CS, only used for my blackberry
c. AT&T - coverage area in NYC area is same as Verizon. More company owned stores for CS, online CS is easy & efficient, intl rate plans are a tad pricey, don't like paying extra for texts, lack of tethering kinda sucks but not end of the world
3. The iPhone pwns all other mobile devices I've owned or used. It's quick and intuitive.
a. Almost all of my complaints are addressed in the 3.0 OS (c&p, landscape txt & email, pushing in apps, remote wipe). The only issues unresolved for me are lack of a true sync between Mac mail and iPhone mail when using a POP acct and not using MobileMe (Mobile Me is still a gong show!!) C'mon, the thing can seamlessly sync all of my music, podcasts, apps, cals, and contacts. Why can't it simply file my emails "sent" from the iPhone into my Mac's "sent" folder? edit: Oh and the battery life sucks when using 3G, but still is better than the Samsung thing I had that chewed thru batteries if you even attempted to look at a website.
b. Oh, and I could use a few more pages for apps too - 9 just ain't enough!
c. It might not be the best "phone" or the best "iPod" but it is not just one of those but is a whole lot more. The multitude of different apps I use on a daily basis is both fun and useful.
d. The couple people I know who ditched their iPhones basically did so b/c they only needed a device that was for phone & SMS use. They didn't surf the net, twitter, facebook, listen to music, check the news, or the dozens of other things I use the iPhone for.
e. Wifi on a phone kicks ass, especially when traveling. You don't need a data plan and my last trips out of the US I've used the skype app for the iPhone heavily for international calls.

-ska todd

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

You're either a retard, or you're an incredibly disingenuous pedantic prick. Or both?
Let me break it down for you dude. He works for a competing phone service that the iphone does not support. Also I'd guess that ATT is not a good service in his town thus the iphone is not a good phone for him but he cant just accept that and let everyone enjoy their phone...

He's like a child that sees all the other kids eating chocolate and loving it. But he's either allergic or cant afford it, so he goes around telling all the other kids how chocolate is horrible and that it has poison in it. Seriously though man... the kids aren't buying what he's selling because everyone knows that chocolate is awesome.

Last edited: