Quantcast

Iphone4 jailbreak and unlock

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Going to Denmark next moth and would especially like to get my wife's phone unlocked so she can use a Danish SIM card. It would be nice to be able to make it a hot spot too but not the most necessary upgrade. Any recommendations?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Are you aware you'll have to cut your Danish sim in to a MicroSIM - you can use a template with a pair of scissors or buy a special cutter:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Phones sold with a contract here and in Europe are normally SIM locked except if its not legal in the specific country. Nothing special about that. Apple now offers the Iphone in the US carrier free of course at a higher price than the contract price from ATT.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Phones sold with a contract here and in Europe are normally SIM locked except if its not legal in the specific country. Nothing special about that. Apple now offers the Iphone in the US carrier free of course at a higher price than the contract price from ATT.
It depends on a number of things. Some manufacturers normally sell their phones unlocked like Nokia and they work on ATT. Some you can get unlocked depending on a number of things - carrier, model, how far you are into your contract, how long you've been a customer, are you going to pay a fee, etc. What took Apple so long, Nokia phones just work...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Syadasti you just love to play the devils advocate. At least try to show you have the ability to see it from more than one side.

What took Apple so long? They did not have to but as competition is heating and their contract with ATT etc. I am pretty sure there are many good reasons. There are tons or lets say were tons of cool Nokia phones that were never sold in the US and HTC also makes phones that will not work in the US at least not do 3G on either ATT or T-mobile. Again the selection of phones available without contract or unlocked after contract is limited in the US as most sales goes through the carrier where Europe has more freedom of choice since the same bands are used. I know you love to make Apple the big bad boy but I think Apple and all the other phone manufacturers would rather have it like in Europe than have all the control and lack of competition we see in the US due to the few large phone companies controlling the market. Again what took them so long. Just look at the success Google had in going consumer direct unlocked and the model sure did magic to the sale of Nokia phones in the US. An unlocked phone is really only good worth while for people who do a lot of travel outside the US and that is a very small and not very important market. What are you going to do with an unlocked Iphone in the US? Not many choices besides ATT who also will soon own T-mobile. I have a feeling most of the sales will go to people from other countries who want to buy a cheaper Iphone here than what they pay in their country. Even with the unlocked pricing its cheaper to buy here if compared to buying with a contract in fore example Denmark as you can only be locked in to a contract for 6 months plus they have 25% VAT/sales tax.

PS Thank you for all the help with my original question.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What are you going to do with an unlocked Iphone in the US? Not many choices besides ATT who also will soon own T-mobile. I have a feeling most of the sales will go to people from other countries who want to buy a cheaper Iphone here than what they pay in their country. Even with the unlocked pricing its cheaper to buy here if compared to buying with a contract in fore example Denmark as you can only be locked in to a contract for 6 months plus they have 25% VAT/sales tax.

PS Thank you for all the help with my original question.
US T-mobile has been actively catering to unlocked iPhone users, so unlocked phones can be useful for people other than travelers and US tourists. People were doing this as far back as 2007.

The grey market unlocked iphone 4 was virtually the same price Apple is now charging - they can't do any better than that?

My first post is relevant to unlocked iPhone 4 use, so don't blame me.

Edit - And Apple knew Nokia was doing some things right as they stole their IP and are paying them for it now: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/nokia-and-apple-end-patent-litigation/

Last edited: