Quantcast

Ipod alternatives?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So my Ipod got ripped off out of my car, and obviously I want to replace it. I have Itunes of course as my music software on my computer...is there a better option then the Ipod that still uses Itunes? I stored all my cd's, so I cant reload them into another system...is there something I could convert to that is more better? FWIW, I wasnt unhappy w/ the Apple stuff, just investigating other options at this juncture...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For your car the best option would be new car stereo with a USB port. With a head unit (Alpine and Pioneer are typically good) with USB support you can connect any cheap USB flash or hard drive and they usually have removable faceplates for security. A USB drive is cheap and you can load it up the same way you copy files on any computer. These days the USB support on new head units usually has support for standalone mp3 players too so you could also buy a small cheaper flash based stand alone mp3 player (a nano if you want to stick with Apple) if you want something to use outside the car.

Mid to highend units also have bluetooth support so you can play via bluetooth with a smartphone and/or buy a headunit handsfree kit for taking calls.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Thats exactly what I have, a newer Alpine...the USB/flash drive music doesnt seem to sound as good as the Ipod driven tunes though. Is it an issue of the USB possibly? The whole system is new (5 months old anyway...) fwiw..

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It might have sound presets/filters for each source, try changing the settings for the USB source.

There is no reason for one source to sound better than the other these days if you are playing the same mp3 files. My head unit (a factory unit, not Alpine or Pioneer) sounds virtually the same whether its a mp3 player, smartphone, or USB drive hooked up over USB, Aux, or Bluetooth.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
]As stated above my HU will control a 500GB HDD or an MP3 player, read from an SD card and stream BT and that is a couple of yers old so I imagine the new ones would be better again.

I currently have a Creative Zen Touch(I think) and it is pure garbage, it supports FLACS but the thing is an absolute pain to use. If I buy anything in the future it will have proper buttons as I want to be able to skip tracks without havin to take it out of my pocket unlock it etc etc.

There are a heap of programs to do what you want, if you have an Andriod phone you can use something like this-
Tunesync

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Alpine has some weird system(AFAIK) that for some reason uses the onboard DAC's in the iPod whereas everyone else send pure digital audio through the USB cable but the iPod operation isn't as snappy as on the Alpine.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sometimes there is a digital audio/mp3 enhancement filter that should be enabled or disable depending on your sound preference in addition to trying the equalizer settings. I am sure you can probably get a good result. Typically you don't want a ton of enhancements/filters unless you like that artificial quality - its not necessarily better to have a bass boost etc...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
You used to be able to do that through iTunes with a right click. Might have to change import preferences to mp3 first...but not sure. DRM'd tracks you can to burn to CD, then import (from the CD) as mp3.