Quantcast

iPod mania...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've got a custom home client who wants to install an in-wall mounted iPod docking station in his house.

Never saw one before, but it looks like a nifty idea as long as it works with all the future iPods. Otherwise it will have an effective lifespan of 3 years and be as outdated as avacado colored toilets.

:p

More: http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/923

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When people build custom cars one of the things they do is hide the electronics, because they will make the car look outdated quickly. Seems like a good idea but it would be nice to have nice conduit ran in the walls so you can snake in wires for new technology as things progress.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
When people build custom cars one of the things they do is hide the electronics, because they will make the car look outdated quickly. Seems like a good idea but it would be nice to have nice conduit ran in the walls so you can snake in wires for new technology as things progress.

Well, as long as the basic wiring (power, speakers, etc) is there to support this station, I suppose you could just swap it out with a newer version later.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Well, as long as the basic wiring (power, speakers, etc) is there to support this station, I suppose you could just swap it out with a newer version later.
I don't know what the connection is but down the road new stuff might connect through fiber optic, Ethernet or something new, it would just rock to be able to easily replace wires ran in walls.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
It's just a hole in the wall and spackle is cheap. If it gets out dated put it out and spackle over the hole. I don't see what the big deal it. It's not messy to replace or remove like a whole avacado bathroom.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
It's just a hole in the wall and spackle is cheap. If it gets out dated put it out and spackle over the hole. I don't see what the big deal it. It's not messy to replace or remove like a whole avacado bathroom.

I keep thinking of those big 70's style intercom systems that you see in homes from that era... lol.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
N8 said:
I keep thinking of those big 70's style intercom systems that you see in homes from that era... lol.

I've got one of those in my house :)

Came in really handy in high school, I could set the one in my room to hear whats going on outside so i knew when someone was coming home........:devil:

And I don't get the Ipod in the wall thing. Why not just get a REAL piece of stereo equipment? :confused:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't get it either. Can't you just set it on a counter or shelf? I don't like wall mounted crap the begin with. Why not just go wireless and not worry about it?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
N8 said:
I have the 2005 version of one of those in my house. It's made by GreyFox and it works really well. It has a button that I can use to unlatch the front door and let people in so I don't have to go and open the door. I don't have that feature hooked up, though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
how does the interface compare to this one? (has a remote, etc.)

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunecenter/index.php

the slimdevices doesn't interface w/ an mp3 player, it's a wireless device on yr network. so unless someone's come up w/ a 0.5TB mp3 player, it's not the same, at least as a player. ;)

that said, the display going to a TV would be a neat idea unless you were already watching TV and listening to music (something i do a lot). the display for the squeezebox is pretty good. vacuum fluorescent display w/ 3 different font sizes depending on your eyesight and/or distance from the unit.

plus that thing is only compatible w/ the newest iPod. :blah:

edit - the squeezebox comes w/ a remote, although since it's open source software, there are crafty people who have turned their bluepoint mobile phones into functional remotes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
huh. so the interface is on a locally hosted web page, and the controls/interface are all manipulated on the host computer? the display is just to show what is currently playing, no?

how does the remote interact with all of this? http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#remote didn't really help. is it used just to flip forward/backwards through tracks?

why i am attracted to the griffin/ipod/tv setup is because it has ample on-screen feedback, and would conceivably make browsing the collection much easier. plus it supports videos, etc.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
N8 said:
I've got a custom home client who wants to install an in-wall mounted iPod docking station in his house.

Never saw one before, but it looks like a nifty idea as long as it works with all the future iPods. Otherwise it will have an effective lifespan of 3 years and be as outdated as avacado colored toilets.

:p

More: http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/923

This was at last years Macworld. I miss going to that with my old company Aladdin Systems...(makers of Stuffit) for all you mac users.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
huh. so the interface is on a locally hosted web page, and the controls/interface are all manipulated on the host computer? the display is just to show what is currently playing, no?

how does the remote interact with all of this? http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#remote didn't really help. is it used just to flip forward/backwards through tracks?

why i am attracted to the griffin/ipod/tv setup is because it has ample on-screen feedback, and would conceivably make browsing the collection much easier. plus it supports videos, etc.
the remote looks like this:

you can control the player either from the web browser interface, or the remote. the remote has quite a bit of functionality to it, and for basic browsing/searching/FF and rewind/selecting internet radio, etc, it's fine. if you want to build playlists or modify the display, etc, you go to the web browser. the software which runs it (slimserver) is pretty good, and as i said since it's open, there are geeks doing neat little things and building add-ons all the time.

the player display looks like this: