Quantcast

iPod Mini Design Flaw Found

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
slashdot.org
terradyn writes "Over at iPodlounge they've discovered that the iPod mini's have a major issue with their headphone jacks. It looks like the jacks connection to the main system board is extremely poorly engineered and so normal use will wear it out and cause lots of static after around 35-40 days... If any pressure on your iPod Mini results in crackling and static, you should return your iPod immediately to an Apple store for a free replacement. They're also theorizing over in the forums that the iPod Mini shortage may be a cover for this problem..." Update: 04/12 01:08 GMT by T: billybob writes "Someone in the forum thread originally linked to has posted pictures of the iPod taken apart, demonstrating the problem."
For Toshi's amusement, here is a history of a few quality Apple products:

1) Exploding powerbooks - battery system had issues

2) Shoddy design of the cube that overheated, had plastic finish issues, and had power button problems.

3) iBooks with defective logic boards

4) iPod battery problems

5) iBook battery problems

6) Various OS updates with disastrous bugs

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's slashdot's coverage: http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/11/1835219&mode=nested&tid=141&tid=176&tid=188

1) this was years ago with the powerbook 5300c. and those batteries were made by sony (reference).

2) the cube was a design piece, and people were crying because it had molding lines in the clear plastic case. boo hoo, i have no pity for them. the somewhat spastic sensor for the power button was a mistake, although apple cleaned up that tech and it works just fine on my apple studio display lcd.

3) and apple made good on this, replacing logic boards on out of warranty ibooks left and right even though they were under no compulsion to do so.

4) happens in all consumer electronics, replace it yourself for $50. non-issue here, move on.

5) link please. haven't heard of this one

6) link please. you're probably talking about the itunes update where a missing set of quotes in a perl script wiped the hard drives of users with spaces in their volume name. but in that case apple made it right, and paid for data recovery service for the affected users' hard drives.

so apple is not perfect, but they do their best to right the situation. bring it on.

:dead:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
>>1) this was years ago with the powerbook 5300c. and those batteries were made by sony (reference).

Yes, Apple is an OEM, not a manufacturer... There aren't too many companies that make 100% of their products or that don't outsource various steps. They just seem to have limited beta testing abilities :dead:

>>2) the cube was a design piece, and people were crying because it had molding lines in the clear plastic case. boo hoo, i have no pity for them. the somewhat spastic sensor for the power button was a mistake, although apple cleaned up that tech and it works just fine on my apple studio display lcd.

If you ordered even a cheap $40 PC case and it had a long scratch or defect on the finish on arrival, you would return it...

>>4) happens in all consumer electronics, replace it yourself for $50. non-issue here, move on.

Doesn't happen that fast on typical battery systems those batteries should have lasted longer.

>>5) link please. haven't heard of this one

There have been various ones posted in the news and a class action is in the works - here are 500 people on a petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/newbtry/petition.html

>>6) link please. you're probably talking about the itunes update where a missing set of quotes in a perl script wiped the hard drives of users with spaces in their volume name. but in that case apple made it right, and paid for data recovery service for the affected users' hard drives.

Yes there is the iTunes and there was a rather nasty effect on data on one of the OSX updates, I don't remember the URL offhand.

>>so apple is not perfect

Yes, nobody is, I just find it funny that people will pay extra for it...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
Because Microsoft never has any problems?
All computer platforms have problems, it doesn't matter who makes the software or hardware...