Quantcast

IPOD question

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Since everyone else is being lazy today....

If you have an IPOD with say your friends songs on it can you then copy those songs to your computer, or does it realize you don't have those songs and synch back up with whats on your PC???

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
yes. don't sync, that will erase the ipod in this case. do a bit of googling and you can find many handy utilities to copy files from the ipod. if you have a mac, do this:

make a new folder on the desktop, call it ipodmusic
open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities)
run the following commands:
cd /Volumes/[put the iPod's name here, open a Finder window to find this out]/iPod_Control/
cp -r Music ~/Desktop/ipodmusic/

then let it spin away for a few minutes as it copies the music to the ipodmusic folder on the desktop. drag this ipodmusic folder to the itunes library on the computer and you're done.

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Toshi said:
yes. don't sync, that will erase the ipod in this case. do a bit of googling and you can find many handy utilities to copy files from the ipod. if you have a mac, do this:

cd /Volumes/[put the iPod's name here, open a Finder window to find this out]/iPod_Control/

then let it spin away for a few minutes as it copies the music to the ipodmusic folder on the desktop. drag this ipodmusic folder to the itunes library on the computer and you're done.
Most iPod users are on Windows these days...

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Toshi said:

You are my hero. Better than downloading some BS program off of macupdate and paying $5 for it. RAD!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
manziman said:
Yea, that's your problem. Us Mac users rule the world.
You mean are a shrinking minute faction that is even beat by no-name chinese PC maker that just bought IBM's PC division (making them the third largest PC maker in the world). Yah thats right Lenovo owns IBM now so they have 7.2% of the market. Rumor is that IBM is going to buy Apple for their new PC division, heh.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
syadasti said:
You mean are a shrinking minute faction that is even beat by no-name chinese PC maker that just bought IBM's PC division (making them the third largest PC maker in the world). Yah thats right Lenovo owns IBM now so they have 7.2% of the market. Rumor is that IBM is going to buy Apple for their new PC division, heh.

You can't prove it.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
manziman said:
You can't prove it.
funny, i know of people who are using OSX machines between their PC's and the internet as a firewall.

Apple is just a better OS and build quality. Same reason there are 100 Huffy's to every (1) Santa Cruz or Intense or whatever. The mass public buys what's cheap and easy and does not mean that they are better - quite the opposite is true.

I personally hope Apple stays small and high-end and niche. My dual 2.5 ghz G5 is so much nicer than my POS dual 2.3 ghz Dell in every way. I also have a 800 mhz eMac at home that works perfectly.

Ill never buy a PC.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
yea Dells are made with crap components, which is why the price is so low. If all consumers were educated consumers, they would all have macs or would build their own pc like me.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
We bought the Dell for here at work cause we get PC files from clients. That Dell was like $2500 or so for the Box. That's not cheap yet the build quality is like plastic dog poop from china. I was very disappointed. The G5 is like artwork both inside and outside.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jimmy_Pop said:
funny, i know of people who are using OSX machines between their PC's and the internet as a firewall.

Apple is just a better OS and build quality. Same reason there are 100 Huffy's to every (1) Santa Cruz or Intense or whatever. The mass public buys what's cheap and easy and does not mean that they are better - quite the opposite is true.
They must be pretty dumb to waste a computer to use as a firewall - thats a job for an computing appliance or even software.

The OEM that assembles the Apples makes brands like IBM in their factories too. Lets look over the Apple - bus technology was developed by AMD and IBM had a big part in the PowerPC CPUs. It has memory, PCI, AGP and other technologies developed first on the PC - no innovation there. OS - BSD based - we have that on the PC too. So where exactly is your innovation which gives better quality? Oh thats right - there isn't any its all marketing. And Apple is notorious for quality control issues and dropping products so quit smoking crack. What is really funny is that Dell sells about 10 times as many PCs a year as Apple and has higher quality control figures than Apple - way to go :blah:

I personally hope Apple stays small and high-end and niche. My dual 2.5 ghz G5 is so much nicer than my POS dual 2.3 ghz Dell in every way. I also have a 800 mhz eMac at home that works perfectly.
Thats a nice computer but its acually running overclocked, thats why its liquid cooled. Overclocking is left to grey market low quality companies in the PC world.

Ill never buy a PC.
Well yeah, you sound too clueless to use one. A mac is a good fit for you.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
I was born and raised around apple, so I know them like the back of my hand. and yes, it is a much easier OS to work with. I went to go burn a data cd on my friends PC and it took us over an hour to figure out why the roxio software wasn't working with the drive, etc etc only to realize that the drive was bad. I easily burned the same data cd on my apple in less than 2 minutes. hmm...Drag+Drop+Burn. easy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
manziman said:
I was born and raised around apple, so I know them like the back of my hand. and yes, it is a much easier OS to work with. I went to go burn a data cd on my friends PC and it took us over an hour to figure out why the roxio software wasn't working with the drive, etc etc only to realize that the drive was bad. I easily burned the same data cd on my apple in less than 2 minutes. hmm...Drag+Drop+Burn. easy.
My first computer was an Apple IIc - I started using it when I was 6. I didn't own a PC until the 486 DX2 66 came out. I built my first PC from parts in the mid 90s. Most of the computers I used in school were Apples. I owned a Newton 120. I've used various PowerPC through the generations. I know all about Apples and a lot of other platforms, so what is your point? I've worked on about 3000 different sun workstations and servers in one job I had also. So I guess you are basically saying you don't have a clue about any other platform besides Apple :blah:

Wow a defective drive stopped you from burning a CD. Apple uses commodity parts for their HDDs, Optical drives etc so they are just as vulnerable to defects. If the drive was defective on your Mac the same thing would happen so you story is pointless.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
i'm not bored enough to click on View Post a dozen times to read syadasti's anti-apple screed, but i did see a quoted bit on ibm/lenovo buying apple. that's not going to happen since the lenovo buyout wording has a non-compete clause for ibm.

http://news.com.com/IBM+buying+Apple+No+dice/2061-1003_3-5484184.html
Actually I said Lenovo bought IBM's PC division and that there were RUMORS that IBM might buy Apple to replace their PC division. You might want to try reading, it helps with comphrension:

It does note in the article you posted that they can do it if Apple only sells certain products (of course then they couldn't sell iMacs but all the other G5 products are workstations):

But a bit of wiggle room remains for conspiracy theorists: servers and workstations designed for high-end applications and compact mobile devices. Interpret that as you will.