Quantcast

IPOD Question

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I don't really want to register to IPODLOUNGE or one of the others and I thought someone here would know anyhow.

If I create a playlist am I able to randomly play through it, for example say I create a classic rock list and paste into it by Artist or album- I want it randomly select the next track from my collection of classic rock artists...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, my MP3 player is giving me fits (Archos GMini, not an Ipod). Just want to listen to music, and it's so damned hard...

Even when I try to play albums off the player's internal HD, it won't play them in track order...it just plays them alphabetically by track name. The REAL pisser is that it doesn't seem able to deal with live albums/bootlegs I have since it can't pull their info off the net...plus, some albums show up a "The Pixies" or "The Smashing Pumpkins" or "The Ramones" instead of just "Pixes," "Smashing Pumpkins," or "Ramones." And this damned music software is making it hard to edit this stuff. Grrrrr.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
MikeD said:
Man, my MP3 player is giving me fits (Archos GMini, not an Ipod). Just want to listen to music, and it's so damned hard...
and this is why people buy ipods. such devices are just supposed to work. being a nerd like syadasti doesn't make for a better listening experience. :D

anyway, i believe that going to Settings -> Shuffle -> Songs (or Albums, suit yourself; note that this is not the same as selecting Shuffle Songs from the main menu) will do the trick.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
anyway, i believe that going to Settings -> Shuffle -> Songs (or Albums, suit yourself; note that this is not the same as selecting Shuffle Songs from the main menu) will do the trick.
I don't believe that will shuffle playlists. I even tried to shuffle playlists in the iTunes program. That does work in iTunes, but the shuffled list does not load to the iPod shuffled. The playlist stays alpha by artist.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Sweet!!! Toshi you ROCK!!!

I probably should have implemented more Genres (if possible) since 90+% of my music is Rock... Rancid and Led Zepplin are not exactly the same..

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
I don't believe that will shuffle playlists. I even tried to shuffle playlists in the iTunes program. That does work in iTunes, but the shuffled list does not load to the iPod shuffled. The playlist stays alpha by artist.
nope, it works. just tried it out on my ipod sitting on the desk. :thumb:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I Are Baboon said:
The playlist stays alpha by artist.
No, you can set the playlist to be alpha by artist, album, song, genre or by time. You can also drag and drop the songs in whatever order you want and it'll be that way on the ipod. Right click on the playlist and there's an option to copy to ipod or something like that.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
nope, it works. just tried it out on my ipod sitting on the desk. :thumb:

OK, so walk me through this, starting with "Turn on iPod"....

Here is what I am doing:
Settings, shuffle, songs. Click menu. Music, Playlists. Choose playlist. Playlist appears in the order in which I added the songs.

God dammit.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
how i tested it:

turned settings -> shuffle to off.
went to playlist A, started playing it, noted name of first song.
turned settings -> shuffle to songs.
went to playlist B, started playing it, then went back to playlist A. noted that name of first song was different. voila.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
how i tested it:

turned settings -> shuffle to off.
went to playlist A, started playing it, noted name of first song.
turned settings -> shuffle to songs.
went to playlist B, started playing it, then went back to playlist A. noted that name of first song was different. voila.
Hmmmm....

I tried that and my playlist order did not change. Maybe I got a broken one.

Do you have an "All" option when you click a playlist? I do not.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
an "all" option? i don't understand. when i click a playlist i see a listing of the tracks in the playlist, in the order that i chose in itunes. i'm also hitting play while the playlist is selected (vs. when a track is selected): main screen -> middle button to choose music -> middle button to choose playlists -> scroll to playlist title -> hit play here, not middle button

you also might try updating your ipod software:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

this also worked on my original, 1st generation ipod tho, so i can't see that being the issue.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
i'm also hitting play while the playlist is selected (vs. when a track is selected)
Ah HA! There was my problem. I was going into the playlist, then hitting play. If I click play on the playlist, the list is shuffled. NEAT-O! :cool:

Thanks, Toshi!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
Ah HA! There was my problem. I was going into the playlist, then hitting play. If I click play on the playlist, the list is shuffled. NEAT-O! :cool:

Thanks, Toshi!
you're welcome. it would have been a bit weird if the ipod shuffled songs even after you'd explicitly selected one by going into the playlist as you had been doing.

in conclusion: apple is still the new hotness.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DRB said:
Burly stole it in his fit of drunkness this past weekend. He is such a prick.
So, if you get it back, have it tested for the clap...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, he probably either smashed it with a table or tried to make out with it.
Hey, look on the bright side...if he was still a Marine, he'd have already married it, impregnated it several times, then cheated on and divorced it...

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Leethal said:
Sweet!!! Toshi you ROCK!!!

I probably should have implemented more Genres (if possible) since 90+% of my music is Rock... Rancid and Led Zepplin are not exactly the same..
yr right. one's great, one's utter crap.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Thanks Toshi! I learned something new about my ipod! I've only had it about a month so I haven't figured out all the nifty features. I've been more anamoured with not having to take CD wallets in the car or to work anymore!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
and this is why people buy ipods. such devices are just supposed to work. being a nerd like syadasti doesn't make for a better listening experience. :D
*zing*

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
DH Diva said:
Thanks Toshi! I learned something new about my ipod! I've only had it about a month so I haven't figured out all the nifty features. I've been more anamoured with not having to take CD wallets in the car or to work anymore!
ipod + TDI = fun time driving!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
DRB said:
Okay so my new found functionality is cool (thanks Toshi) But I do have a question.

Does it seem that the "shuffle" isn't random? It seems to go thru them in the same order....
if you go to a different playlist and then back to the original (hitting play while the playlist title is highlighted, not the first song in the playlist) then you'll get the list reshuffled.