Quantcast

ipod question

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
well i got a used ipod and plugged it in ect ect got the knack of itunes and such, it asked me to update it so i did and now it wants me to plug it into the wall to update firmware and i dont have the wall adapter... am i ****ed till i get one of those? or is there a way around it. it shows a pic of the wall adapter on the screen and wont do anything. doh!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not sure why you'd need the wall adapter (AC converter) to update firmware...maybe you can find one from ebay or an apple store? or post the query on ipodgarage.com or similar.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A whole lot of devices require AC power when doing a firmware update. It's the only way to make sure the device won't lose power in the middle of the upgrade. I don't know any laptop that'll let you do firmware upgrades on battery power.

I'd try eBay first thing.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
How would you update the ipod firmware if its plugged into the wall? Don't you need to download it through the net? I used the same port/usb chord to charge mine with an AC adaptor and to connect to my PC. Or am I confused...

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
spam16v said:
well i got a used ipod and plugged it in ect ect got the knack of itunes and such, it asked me to update it so i did and now it wants me to plug it into the wall to update firmware and i dont have the wall adapter... am i ****ed till i get one of those? or is there a way around it. it shows a pic of the wall adapter on the screen and wont do anything. doh!
NO, I just updated mine to 3.1 at work without it being pluged in. The reason they want you to have it pluged in is because if your Ipod juice runs dry durning the update it can really F-up the ipod.

good luck

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
How old is the PC you are trying to connect with?

I think if you have an older PC with older USB hardware the ipod won't charge itself, with the newer versions of USB it charges once connected to the PC. Can any IT people confirm this?

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
i took it to work and plugged it into my buddies wall charger and 15 seconds later it was fine and jim dandy.... glad he had one. i have one comming from ebay for $0.02 and $4 shipping.....