Quantcast

iPod questions.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
1 - is it possible to append a song into a random mix and keep the random mix going?

2 - if the iPod eventually turns off, the random mix is lost, so when you power back on and hit random mix, it presents a completely different one, and you could hear the same song twice. is there a way to preserve this song order?

3 - is there a way to select a random mix only for songs which have never been listened to?

i'd assume that you may need to use iTunes to get this sort of functionality (probably via smart playlists), but it would be nice if you could do it w/o having to link to a computer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't spend much time w/ the iPod (it's the wife's), and the player i do use (Rio Karma) does all that stuff i asked about very easily. i keep hearing about the 'very intuitive' interface that the iPod has, but apparently i am the only one who either wants to use it in such a manner, or can't figure it out.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
1)If you mean on the go playlists, you can add songs while playing the list.

2) My on the go lists stay on until I delete them --My IPOD is on Manual, I think if it on auto sync, it will ask if you wish to keep said playlist in which time you would need to name it.

3) I think you need to use ITUNES, but should be easy to set-up

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I have a semi-related question, I just purchased an external drive and have copied my songs to it, but I would now like to remove the songs from my internal drive and use the external drive as my library...anyone tell me how to do so?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I dunno if any of those things are possible, however if they are you would have to set it up via iTunes. You really can't do squat on the iPod other than select songs and listen.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
1 - is it possible to append a song into a random mix and keep the random mix going? - Don't know.

2 - if the iPod eventually turns off, the random mix is lost, so when you power back on and hit random mix, it presents a completely different one, and you could hear the same song twice. is there a way to preserve this song order? - With my Nano, if you turn it off it resumes where you left off in the "shuffle" when you turn it back on. It does not remix the songs you've already listened to back into the mix.

3 - is there a way to select a random mix only for songs which have never been listened to? - Don't know.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
1: no. on the go playlists aren't random by definition, as you choose 'em.

2: yeah, if it just turns off while paused then hitting play will continue right where you were. however, if you go back to the menu and choose Shuffle Songs again then yes, it will reshuffle. don't do that.

3: yes, but only through smart playlists and itunes as you guessed. easy enough to do that, tho: new smart playlist -> songs not played in last X months/years/decades/whatever then select settings -> shuffle -> songs/albums on the ipod itself

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
1: no. on the go playlists aren't random by definition, as you choose 'em.
er, how do you mean i choose 'em? i've got ~3500 random songs on my wife's ipod, and then hit 'shuffle'. i haven't chosen anything other than to play, shuffled, the entire iPod contents.

Toshi said:
2: yeah, if it just turns off while paused then hitting play will continue right where you were. however, if you go back to the menu and choose Shuffle Songs again then yes, it will reshuffle. don't do that.
what about if you've left the thing off long enough to just get the apple logo when you try to power it on? i think that's what happened to me recently.

Toshi said:
3: yes, but only through smart playlists and itunes as you guessed. easy enough to do that, tho: new smart playlist -> songs not played in last X months/years/decades/whatever then select settings -> shuffle -> songs/albums on the ipod itself
boo. mp3 players should be self-sufficient. my karma can do this and many other permutations (can even save a randomly shuffled playlist via the 'bookmark' function). due to vagaries beyond my control, the iPod is very infrequently recognized as a device by my PC, so i tend not to update much content (it took me a few days of sorting through my music to custom tailor the content, no need to repeat that sort of effort).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
McGRP01 said:
With my Nano, if you turn it off it resumes where you left off in the "shuffle" when you turn it back on. It does not remix the songs you've already listened to back into the mix.
As remixing them would be lame. My work Nano does however seemingly play more repeats in shuffle mode. That may be because I listen to it for shorter periods of time and tend to play more playlists on it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
er, how do you mean i choose 'em? i've got ~3500 random songs on my wife's ipod, and then hit 'shuffle'. i haven't chosen anything other than to play, shuffled, the entire iPod contents.
hold down the center button when the song name is highlighted. it'll flash and be added to an On The Go (2, 3, 4 if you have others already) playlist.

what you're looking for is shuffling songs within a playlist. main menu -> settings -> shuffle -> select songs or albums as appropriate. then go back to music -> playlists -> hit play while the playlist TITLE is highlighted. if you hit the center button and hit play while the first SONG in the playlist is highlighted then it'll start playing there, and your "random" playlist will not seem so random after all.
narlus said:
what about if you've left the thing off long enough to just get the apple logo when you try to power it on? i think that's what happened to me recently.
then you're out of luck. it only retains its internal state while asleep, not when completely off.
narlus said:
boo. mp3 players should be self-sufficient. my karma can do this and many other permutations (can even save a randomly shuffled playlist via the 'bookmark' function). due to vagaries beyond my control, the iPod is very infrequently recognized as a device by my PC, so i tend not to update much content (it took me a few days of sorting through my music to custom tailor the content, no need to repeat that sort of effort).
simplicity of interface does have its compromises. you can't rename songs on the ipod either :nuts:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you want that kind of control, you need to stay away from apple products. Apple stuff is designed for people who can't handle more than 4 buttons.