Quantcast

iPod Saves Life!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Paging syadasti... syadasti, please report to the thread... Your battery article lead-in has been posted.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From Cult of Mac - Wired News
http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/04/ipod_didnt_save_1.html

IPod Didn't Save Soldier's Life -- And It Was An HP Model

Everyone is loving the story of the iPod that allegedly saved the life of U.S. Infantryman Kevin Garrad in Tikrit. Though it seems like the perfect story, there is actually more to this tale than you might assume. First of all, the iPod didn't save his life. His body armor did. And it isn't even an Apple model.

From Havana Lion:

The armor stopped the bullet.

The iPod was how Kevin Garrad found out he was shot. This is the real story.
Kevin said he got into the fight with the insurgent and afterwards he did not know he was even shot. He said he returned to his bunk after the patrol, put on his earbuds and began to clean his weapon.

He said: “you get into a ritual out there.”

No music came on. He dug around in the pockets where he kept the iPod and pulled out the twisted hunk of metal that is in the pictures. He said that was how he found out that he had been shot during the fight. He was happy that his armor worked.

I've been surprised that Apple has gotten all of the press on this, as well, because this model came out during the very brief era when HP was selling iPods themselves, logo and all. I'm not surprised that Apple is taking advantage of this opportunity, including shipping Kevin a new iPod, but I am surprised HP hasn't gotten in on the press push. After all -- they sold the amazing machine, not Apple.