Quantcast

Ipod silliness to get Syadasti riled up.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
A local home builder is building ipod docks into the wall of the home. Of course, the entire home is wired with speakers.

IMO this is pretty dumb. Technology changes WAY faster than homes are updated so to spend a lot of money to integrate limited life span components is a bad idea.

Does anyone here actually like stuff like this built into the walls? Speakers? Central vac?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
BeerDemon said:
Does anyone here actually like stuff like this built into the walls? Speakers? Central vac?
My mom's place has both. The speakers are setup in multiple rooms and in the back year and are pretty cool for parties. The central vac helps out for cleaning afterwards. It works out if you have a large house and like to entertain guest.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, this should get N8 riled up...doesn't he build houses w/ network cabling installed?

anyway, for driving speakers, wireless is a ways away. and for true high fidelity, there are certain interconnects which won't be eliminated by wireless.

i'm waiting for the wireless central vacuum system.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't see anything wrong with integrating speakers. Good quality speakers can last a long time, and it's not like speaker wiring is getting outdated, so swapping out your speakers is a little bit of a hassle but not impossible...

Same with, say, ethernet wiring. Cat5 wiring has been around for a long time and 10/100 is still the standard speed for networks. Shorter lifespan than the foundation, of course, but it's not that bad.

I agree about the iPod docks, though. That's a pretty limited lifespan technology.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we do have central vac, and built-in speakers for the surround system (as well as mounted ones for the deck). i can't see where the pace of technology will make these obsolete, and for a 7.1 speaker system, i can't see what the benefit of not using built-ins would be (although i guess i only have two speakers truly recessed into the walls (ceiling, actually); the other 4 have speaker cable run through the walls but the speakers are mounted externally to the wall, and the 7th sits on the TV.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Doesn't the central vac tubing ever get clogged up in the walls?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not in my experience; the 'nozzle attachment' (for lack of a better word) would be the orifice restriction, so nothing that can get through that could clog the internal tube.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the ipod docks can be replaced, when apple comes out with a new ipod dock standard ;)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hidden speaker wire/network cables seem like a good idea to me. It's a pain to hide them after the fact, and if you don't end up using them there's no harm done. The dock part is stupid, but I have noticed some cars starting to come with minijack inputs though, which is about damn time.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Ridemonkey said:
Hidden speaker wire/network cables seem like a good idea to me. It's a pain to hide them after the fact, and if you don't end up using them there's no harm done. The dock part is stupid, but I have noticed some cars starting to come with minijack inputs though, which is about damn time.
I think in the wall wiring is great. I just don't like the actual components built in.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I ever had a house built I'd like to have conduit put in the walls with junction boxes placed in hidden areas like closets. That way I could run new wire for whatever standard I want whenever I felt like it. If it had an open unfinished basement this would really only require short runs of conduit up into the walls.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't see why you'd use an iPod dock instead of a simple RCA or minijack input. At least that would be compatible with all types of music players.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
I don't see why you'd use an iPod dock instead of a simple RCA or minijack input. At least that would be compatible with all types of music players.
the ipod dock lets you use line out (or stay in digital if your equipment allows for it) vs. the headphone jack. slightly higher quality, it is. also provides power, etc.

edit for grammar

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
One thing about having an built in iPod dock in your new home is that you will be able to use it and enjoy if for several years... even if the technology changes. Look at all the people who still listen to cassettes and watch tube tv's.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I wouldn't build in an iPod dock, but I do like the idea of having centralized sound, but it's nothing new, I have it in my house right now. As for my iTunes, I just have an airport streaming music from my computer.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
A buddy of mine put airport base stations into the walls of his house - his closets actually - behind those metal access doors that you typically see over fuse panels. He has them in 3 places, so he gets kick ass wireless reception, even out in the yard, with no cable mess or little "spaceships" things everywhere.

His wireless outdoor speakers don't sound as nice as my wired ones though. :)

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Toshi said:
the ipod dock let's you use line out (or stay in digital if your equipment allows for it) vs. the headphone jack. slightly higher quality, it is. also provides power, etc.
My IRiver has an optical (digital) output and a line-out jackplug. And no silly half-eaten fruit logo.. nerrrr... :eviltongu

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the setup i'm promoting for my parents' house is an iMac with Front Row and the Apple Remote (both included by default), with hidden cabling to the stereo. an airport express would have worked for the transmission as well, but cabling is more reliable, ultimately.

http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
I have an Apple HiFi in my living room and it does the job. I'm not much of a stereo dude though.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
fluff said:
My IRiver has an optical (digital) output and a line-out jackplug. And no silly half-eaten fruit logo.. nerrrr... :eviltongu
yeah, but it's much more elegant to plop an ipod down into a dock than to plug in power, line out cables. given that this will be visible and not on some linux nerd's cluttered desktop i think the ipod wins.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just got a d-link media server last week. Worked great for music video etc. That is until it puked on an automatic firmware upgrade on Sunday. I think that format is the way to go.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Toshi said:
yeah, but it's much more elegant to plop an ipod down into a dock than to plug in power, line out cables. given that this will be visible and not on some linux nerd's cluttered desktop i think the ipod wins.
No one's ever called me a nerd before..:love:

Who's linux?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
the ipod dock let's you use line out (or stay in digital if your equipment allows for it) vs. the headphone jack. slightly higher quality, it is. also provides power, etc.
Gotcha.

After reflecting on it, I guess it's probably not so bad. If the unit itself gets obsoleted, you can always pull it out of the wall and patch it up. Or, there has to be a line out of some kind in there running to the amp, so you could hook up another docking unit of some type.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
N8 said:
One thing about having an built in iPod dock in your new home is that you will be able to use it and enjoy if for several years... even if the technology changes. Look at all the people who still listen to cassettes and watch tube tv's.
if the ipod lasts for several years. So far I haven't had much luck with that. Planned obselescence is a bitch.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tenchiro said:
Reminds me of those wierd old intercoms you see in houses from the 70's
That's what I told a co-worker when he paid to have "central iPod" installed in his place.

I don't own an iPod, but only because I'm cheap AND lazy. I want to get one, but not install something in the wall for it. An interface into an existing home/car audio system is best.

I do like the in-wall speakers and if you make the enclosure somewhat easy to get to, you can change and upgrade as needed. I am not a fan of central vacume, that just seems silly to me.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
jimmydean said:
That's what I told a co-worker when he paid to have "central iPod" installed in his place.

I don't own an iPod, but only because I'm cheap AND lazy. I want to get one, but not install something in the wall for it. An interface into an existing home/car audio system is best.

I do like the in-wall speakers and if you make the enclosure somewhat easy to get to, you can change and upgrade as needed. I am not a fan of central vacume, that just seems silly to me.
People who do this should think about how silly they would feel if the added a custom Walkman interface into their wall back in the 80's. And what that would look like today.