Quantcast

iPod this, iPod that. iPod iPod!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
iRiver Runs Through It

We’re standing on the curb, waiting for the light to change, when a guy walks up and signals us to take our headphones off. He wants to ask a question.

“So, what’s the deal,” the guy asks us, “with your blue iPod?”

“It’s not a ‘blue iPod,’” we say.

“OK, sorry. What’s the deal with your… what, cerulean iPod?”

“It’s not a cer—look, it’s not an iPod at all. It’s an mp3 player. See?”

“Oh. I thought that was the same thing.”

“No, not every mp3 player is an iPod? This one is not. It’s the iRiver H10. It is not made by Apple.”

“Hunh.” He stares at it, uncomprehending. “Looks cool. If I was going to get an iPod, I’d want a blue one like that.”

Now we’re exasperated. “iPod, iPod, iPod! Why are you fixated on iPods? Look! This thing is slim and compact, hardly bigger than a deck of cards, but it can store and play over five thousand songs!”

“It’s bigger than a deck of cards.”

“Yes! So we have already established! But not much bigger! Maybe it’s the volume of… oh, like a deck with 65 cards in it.”

“There’s no such thing as a 65-card deck.”

“No! No one says there is! It’s just for a frame of reference! And look, it’s 20 gigs, it has sensibly arranged controls, and its internal battery delivers up to 16 hours of non-stop music on a charge. It plays DRM, Audible, Napster 2 Go, and it has a color LCD for looking at photos! Oh, and an integrated text viewer for reading paperless novels, news, whatever!

“It has a built-in microphone so you can use it as a voice recorder—and a built-in FM tuner with both automatic and manual channel-search functions! And a timer! Plus, it’s lovingly refurbed, like a newly risen iRiver phoenix! All this and it’s not an iPod. Get it? See? Fleetwood Mac was right all along—you really can go your own way!”

“Yeah, I see what you’re saying.”

We exhaled heavily.

“So, if you play solitaire on that iPod, does it play with the regular deck, or with 65 cards?”

“YOU CAN’T—THERE’S NO SOLI—IT’S NOT … You know what? Yes. Yes, if you play solitaire on my blue iPod, it deals from a deck of 65 cards.”

“Awesome,” he said. “I gotta get one of those.” And he ambled off into the night.

http://www.woot.com/
good stuff. And a great price on an iRiver if you need a player.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you get that folder icon on your iPod screen. you just have to replace the motherboard. you can find them on ebay for like $8. i've fixed 11 so far. whether the harddrive has failed or need a new battery. its not hard and you can do it cheaply.
cheers!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Nice, good deal on the iRiver for sure.

Now if only steepandcheap.com would stop putting clothes up everyday and get back to the good outdoor gear.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
My ipod was stolen from my car about a month ago.
Yesterday, after waiting for over a year, I got a reponse from the iPod battery class action lawsuit claims rep for a replacement. Problem is, I need to send them my old one...
I'm going back to vynal.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I'm a filmmaker that got an Video IPod for Christmas and realized that this was the missing piece for putting content out over the Internet. That's what Film Pimp does. There's riding vids on there as well. I've gotten 10s of 1000s downloads since starting, so now I don't even bother with festivals and such. I don't care what people want to say about the thing, I think my iPod is great, even it saying makes me sound queer. I even put a black rubber case around mine and it bounces when I drop it while riding my bike. Does your iRiver bounce?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SeaPig said:
I even put a black rubber case around mine and it bounces when I drop it while riding my bike. Does your iRiver bounce?
It does if you put it in a black rubber case, smart guy :rolleyes:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Dog Welder said:
Anyone know how easily a Creative Labs Rio can hook up to a car stereo? I konw for Ipods they got setups.
it should be identical, given that the best way (imo) to hook an ipod up is with a simple 1/8" to rca cable, hooked into the stereo's aux in jack

if your stereo doesn't have aux in then you're somewhat out of luck. 1/8" to tape adapter?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
no, don't get a FM transmitter. they sound bad, every last one of them, due to the limitations of FM itself.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
no, don't get a FM transmitter. they sound bad, every last one of them, due to the limitations of FM itself.
Well, sorta, but hey, my FM car radio doesn't sound so bad and if it's the only way to listen to music in the morning, isn't it better than not being able to do it at all?

If you've got no aux in on the stereo, just pick up an inexpensive FM transmitter and be done with it.