Quantcast

Iran, Israel and the West

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by Changleen, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    So, you probably all saw this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5371437,00.html

Despite what you probably think of my Politics, I do not have much love for Iran. This reversion to fairly extreme state Islamism (you may have noticed other things like Western films and haircuts being shunned by the leadership, and even banned in some places) is non-progressive and essentially just a backwards force in the world. (Much like George Bush!)

Iran is simply providing ammunition for those in Israel and the West who will use this to further their case for strikes or war against the 'nuclear threat' Iran now (doesn't actually yet) pose, and at the end of the day has made it more likely that a whole lot of innocent people are going to get killed.

On the other hand, it would seem that the new leadership does enjoy considerable popular support. If this is the case, what should be done about it? Can anything be realistically be done that doesn't involve armed interference?

Another thing to note is that the renewed aggression in Iran is apparently being reflected in the Israel/Palestine situation, which after a few months of very positive looking developments, has now seen it's first serious Palestinian suicide bomber, notably just hours after Ahmadinejad's speech. Iran is known to heavily support Hamas and these other groups and it now seems they may now be acting out the wishes of Iran rather than their local populous. If this is the case, it places Iran on even weaker ground. As much as I dislike Israel and it's policies, killing all Israelis and 'wiping Israel from the map' is not on.

What should the west do?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tenchiro

Tenchiro Attention K Mart Shoppers

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    End our reliance on petrol and give the middle east the finger?

3. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 2
    Stop exporting poptarts to Iran.

Seriously though, I know jack isht about Middle Eastern affairs, to the point where I can offer no benefit whatsoever to a thread like this.

4. ALEXIS_DH

ALEXIS_DH Tirelessly Awesome

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 120
    they openly want "nuclear power" and now this.... they are sooooooo gonna get messed up bad...
    messing up with the buddies of the class bully.....:nope:

5. jaydee

jaydee Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is definitely stirring the pot, as if it wasn't boiling over already. If the world thinks Iraq or Afghanistan are hotbeds of radical Islam fundamentalism, welcome to the place that invented it. Let's hope it's just typical political posturing and sword-rattling, but something tells me that radical Muslims like Ahmadinejad are feeling powerful with the impotence of their enemies in the face of terrorist tactics. I'm sure he believes that the US will stay out of any Iran/Israel conflict at this time, given the difficulties it is undergoing in Iraq. I wonder if Bush will move to support his Israeli allies if Iran follows up on its threats? If he does, this could be the jihad to end all jihads.

6. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Sometimes I wish they'd just get it over and done with. As for Iran posturing vs. taking action, as I said, it would seem that they are becoming more active in supplying and co-ordinating Hamas and other Palestinian groups in their attacks on Israel now. I doubt that Iran would risk an out and out attack on Israel, but it remains to be seen how much Israel/US will tollerate increased Iranian support of their local enemies.

7. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    In the end it is just rhetoric. Geography, technology and skill make it next to impossible for Iran to do anything about Israel. Iran would be the proverbally idiot bringing a knife to a gun fight in conflict with Israel. Ahmadinejad can run is mouth inciting whomever he wishes but he knows that all he can do to wipe Israel off the face of the earth is thru Palestinian suicide bombers. That isn't going to wipe Israel off the face of the map. All it does is end up with less Palestinians.

This goes back to what I've said before about the Arab world could truly give two sh!ts about the Palestinians. Abbas asks for money to rebuild Gaza from Arab nations and he gets nothing. He asks for help in quelling the terrorists groups by their supporters in Syria and Iran and nothing. The Palestinians are mutts to the rest of the Arab world. I truly believe that Israel cares more about them then their supposed brothers do.

At some point the Palestinians are going to realize this and stop allowing themselves to be pawns.

8. The Amish

The Amish Dumber than N8

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I totaly agree with this one, but to play the other side of the coin what would happen to the middle east if they they couldn't sell their oil. Last I checked sandbox's werent that popular anymore. It would be like taking welfare away from the ghetto. SHizz would hit the fan

9. The Amish

The Amish Dumber than N8

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    WOW...................did that just come from you. It sucks to admit it but sometimes the only thing people understand is a good ol fashion ass whoopin. Ultimately someones got to go cause there never gonna get along. You ask me no one should be allowed to live in the holy land but the clergy, muslim, christian, jew, for 100yrs.

10. jaydee

jaydee Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    This is all true, unless Iran manages to develop nuclear weapons cability. Given their president and head radical's recent threats, I can't honestly believe that they would use nuclear technology just for electrical power and not for weapons. If that happens, you know Israel will quickly be all over eliminating that capability.

You're right. The rest of the Arab world loves to see the Palestinians blowing themselves up for Allah and taking a few Israelis along. If they actually supported the Palestinians, they'd have to deal with the Israelis themselves. Paradoxically, the Israelis are the only ones who actually tried to defuse the situation by surrendering Gaza. But I don't think Hamas will ever back off from the feud; they share the view that the only good Israeli is a dead Israeli, and now they're quite happy to have bases even closer to Israel.

11. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Look what you get when your leader is crazy hate promoting fool:

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level.php?cat=Business&loid=8.0.224391786&par=0

12. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
  13. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    :D Now that's funny.

14. TheMontashu

TheMontashu Pourly Tatteued Jeu

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    If israel wanted to they could bully around the arab world. Remember if you **** with Israel you are ****ing with a country were evory 16 year old and older knows how to shoot, and evory 18 year old and older is a trained soldier

I would put money on israel having a nuke or 2.

15. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The 18 year old soldiers aren't what scares the Arabs. Its the 26 year old pilots.

Try in excess of 200.

16. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    DRB is unfortunately correct.

17. manimal

manimal Ociffer Tackleberry

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13

Bring it!

18. TheMontashu