Sylvan pathway, Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford

Closeup of hexagonal basalt rock, Giant's Causeway, Co. Antrim

Old Church, Glendalough, Co. Wicklow

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
:thumb:

seems visitors to ireland visit the same places... i ve been to the causeway and glendalough.. nice photies again...

the missus and i are planning a visit to ireland before we leave europe... can t wait... hopefully i ll have the chance to catch up with a couple of my old mates in co. antrim

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, those could be blown up, framed, and sold!

I WILL get to Ireland someday. My great grandma is from there, she was an indentured servant. My grandma is very steeped in the culture still and I am dieing to go over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Heidi said:
Nice, those could be blown up, framed, and sold!

I WILL get to Ireland someday. My great grandma is from there, she was an indentured servant. My grandma is very steeped in the culture still and I am dieing to go over.
heidi, let me know if there are any you want the full-sized original of and i'll send it to you.

what part of ireland was yr great-grandmom from?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I love the photos.
narlus said:
Closeup of hexagonal basalt rock, Giant's Causeway, Co. Antrim
For those that know both, is that the same geology stuff as Devil's Tower in Wyoming?

PS: Unless you're a climber, do not bother going to see the tower. Holy fookin' boring.

Skookum said:
Did you happen to catch Robin Hood up in them tree's?
I visited the tree that the legend surrounds. It's friggin' huge (wide) with supports to hold it up from collapsing. Unless you've got kids, don't bother going cuz the touristy stuff is directed at children. I don't need another plastic sword and silly hat.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Amazing! I'm goin' in October. I can't wait! And thanks to Narlus I have some advice on what to see and such.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
LordOpie said:

For those that know both, is that the same geology stuff as Devil's Tower in Wyoming?

PS: Unless you're a climber, do not bother going to see the tower. Holy fookin' boring............
both of those and devils postpile near mammoth all formed in similar ways. A volcanic explosion caused a release of low viscosity lava that flows easily and "floods" an area.

from my geology book: basalt layers appear to be formed of parallel, vertical columns, mostly six sided. This characteristic of basalt is called columnar structure or columnar jointing. The columns can be explained by the way in which basalt contracts as it cools after solidifiying. Basalt solidifies completely at temperatures below 1200C. The hot layer of rock then contunes to cool to temperatures normal for the Earth's surface. Like most solids, basalt contracts as it cools. The layer of basalt is easily able to accommodate the shrinkage in the narry vertical dimension; but the cooling rock cannot "pull in" its edges, which may be many kilometers away. Instead, the rock contracts toward evenly spaced centers of contraction. A hexagonal fracture pattern is the most efficient way in which a set of contraction centers can share fractures. Most columns are 6 sided, some are five or seven side.

Geology rocks. This is the best class I've taken in college. I would highly recommend learning more about it to anyone. It totally changes the way in which you look at the world around you.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
special O said:
Geology rocks. This is the best class I've taken in college. I would highly recommend learning more about it to anyone. It totally changes the way in which you look at the world around you.
:thumb: Yes! A great reason to keep learning!