Quantcast

Iron horse 7.3

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Who owns one or one of the 7points?

My Riding Syle
I am 5'4, 125lbs. I ride occasional dh races, fr (dh jumps, rough slow technical stuff, fast smooth stuff, wooden stunts, drops, - all around riding with some climbing.

Bike Setup
I might get a 7.3 at supergo. THe fork is terrible, so right away, I would sell it and get either a super-t or a z150. Which would be beter for the bike and my riding style with some climbing?

I also don't like the rims so I would sell the rims and have some D321s built to the original hubs. Are these hubs okay?

Or should I get a complete d321 front wheel and a complete rear wheel or have one built up?

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
I have the 7point5 but all I can tell you from that is that the frame is good. Deffinetly replace that fork on the 7point3.

If it was me I'd just replace the fork then replace other parts if or when they break. its not like your going to make much money back selling the old hubs.

Thats my two cents.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm not exactly sure when I'm getting a bike. He just doesn't have the money for a bike now. My dad thinks I would be better off with a warranty if something broke. I'm sorry about not buying yours though.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
if you are planning on climbing wouldnt you want a z150 that just sounds like it makes sence to me? its going to be lighter then the super t for sure and more adjustable to climb

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I would get a supert or an 06 170 66, the z150 will be too short and steepen the head angle, the stock fork is short also, the bike is designed for a 170mm travel fork.

I would also just ride the wheels and replace when they bend/break.

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
mtnbrider said:
My main questions are : are those hubs okay/decent? and should I put a z150 or a super T on it?
I dont know what exactly your worried about. Do you think at 125 lbs your going to break a hub? you will probably break before the hub does, and if it does replace it.

I dont know about the shock. I was thinking about getting that bike and putting a sherman breakout plus on it once but I decided to just get the 7point5.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
mtnbrider said:
Its down to the fork. I'm leaning towards a super-t.
I've got a 7.3 w/ a super t, axle to crown is about 1/4" longer than the breakout plus I had on there previously. Peeeelush and super adjustable. But not a fork for trailriding. The bike rocked on trails w/ smaller tires and the breakout, but with all the bobbing the fork does now, (and the extra weight) it's not nearly as fun. I'd say unless you're racing, the breakout is the ideal fork (from what's available now) for the bike. Mine is going back on after lift season is over.
The WTB's aren't bad wheels. The hubs are probably Formula, same as the Azonic Outlaws I have now. They spin great, haven't given me any problems in a season of racing/ riding.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It comes with a manitou stance flow. A POS fork. My friend was testing a scott high octane 2 with a stance kingpin fork in a lbs local parking lot before he bought it. In the parking lot, he blew it out. THey replaced the fork from another high octane 2 and after buying it a few days later, it happpended again and he just got a shiver.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
mtnbrider said:
It comes with a manitou stance flow. A POS fork. My friend was testing a scott high octane 2 with a stance kingpin fork in a lbs local parking lot before he bought it. In the parking lot, he blew it out. THey replaced the fork from another high octane 2 and after buying it a few days later, it happpended again and he just got a shiver.
That's just a bad seal - not a big deal to replace.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
wheelworld has a 66 vf for $400. WHat other companies make reducer cups?

I know e13.
"The following headset systems are compatible with our Zero Stack Reducer Cups-Manufacturer Part Numbers in Parentheses
Cane Creek - IS-2, (HSS0241); IS-6 ,(HSS0251); IS-SOLOS, (HSS0521).
Full Speed Ahead - Orbit IS, (120-0325); "

THe orbit IS is a road headset, is it strong enough for dh? Are the cane creek ones for road too? I just need a headset that is durable and long lasting, more than light.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
mtnbrider said:
Would a 170mm 66vf be a good fork for it?
I wouldn't want one. That's gonna be a lot taller fork than the Super T, and will raise the bb and slacken the head angle. Besides, it's damper is low end. I'd rather have the Breakout +, along with the more adjustable damper, you get adjustable travel. And I've seen lots of them on the classifieds going for little $$.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
dude u wont be breaking any hubs...im a big boy and i ride hard and iv only broken two hubs in four years...get a sherman...

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
i'm not sure what wheels it comes w/ but i'm guessing if they're WTB's that they're Dual Duty's. those are acctually very strong wheels. especially for 125lb rider. for the fork go w/ a superT. that bike will feel much better w/ a 7" fork.

and if the hubs are formulas... as far as i know those are just fine. i have the same one on the front of my 02 iron horse sgs and it still spins perfect. the back however was not so great... the cones kept wiggling loose after every ride so i was always having to tighten them or the rear wheel would be all wobbly. i eventually put on a shimano xt hub and it's still on the bike taking abuse from my roomate who i basically gave the bike to.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
u will soon learn, especially in sb: slack=bad ....im so sick of seeing all these kids(mainly not in ca) riding with there front ends so high..in whistler i saw countless kids with 888s w/ m-arches, uncut steers with all the spacers under the top crown and super high rise bars....their front ends are like six inches taller than mine...rediculace...someday u will apretiate being able to rail corners w/ a low front end...especially in sb where it isnt very steep..

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
wydopen said:
u will soon learn, especially in sb: slack=bad .....especially in sb where it isnt very steep..
Welll its quite steep in places. Most all of our trails exceed 20% grades for extended areas (A big USFS trail building no-no). But the trails have seriously tight corners that a slacked out bike won't be a good thing for.

Personally I like cornering, lowrider crowns for me :p

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
well i meant not steep like compared to canada steep, where u are rolling into almost verticle shoots...and sb has alot of flat, tight corners.....i guess the 06 66 would work cause its lower but theoler one is rediculace...just buy a dc fork unless u really need to do bar spins that bad ;)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If I got a dc, it would be a super-t. Someone in this thread said a super-t is not fun on a 7point bike bike because it bobs so much. Does this make sense to you?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
mtnbrider said:
If I got a dc, it would be a super-t. Someone in this thread said a super-t is not fun on a 7point bike bike because it bobs so much. Does this make sense to you?
Sounds like BS. It doesn't bob much more than any other really plush 7" fork :D For that bike I'd choose a SC fork if I did any climbing though. DC forks are not friendly to climbing. (Knee+top crown=ouch)

wydopen said:
well i meant not steep like compared to canada steep, where u are rolling into almost verticle shoots...and sb has alot of flat, tight corners..
Ohh no doubt, there is some stupid steep run ins there I'm sure :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Now im kind of stuck. I like marzocchi best because of there durability, reliablity, and long lasting lasting quality. THe 66 would be perfect but it has a tall crown and it sucks to climb on a super-t. I really want 7" fork.

Does anyone have an ideas?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Do you think that I ( being 5'4) would hit my knees on the top crown climbing with a super-t? THere are some races coming up (that I really want to do If my dad gets some money for a bike) in CA : fontana ... .

WHen I ride I would almost always be wearing shin/knee guards and sitting down (when climbing), so maybe it would be okay.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I won't be doing that much climbing, and it will probably be pedaled better sitting down, so I think a super-t will be fine for me. If I was on a trail with a lot of climbing, I would just bring my hardtail.

Does anyone know the Headtube length of a 7.3?