Quantcast

Iron Horse Help

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
So I have searched everywhere and I am leaving for a big bike trip tomorrow and I need some quick help.

So today I just installed a new bearing kit, pivot bolts, and shock hardware on my 05 Sunday today.

It has the 06 link and I am running a dhx 5 on it.

After getting everything together and setup, I now have a little bit of vertical play/slop in the shock/linkage.

If you push down on the seat, there is about a quarter inch of play before you actually feel the shock compress, but the shock is mounted correctly, there in no play in the two mounting points of the shock, but you can clearly see the bottom bracket drop a little during this play??? Any thoughts? I had none of these problems before today, and yes the shock is the right length/stroke...

Again, It's not the shock has play in it, it is before the shock even starts to compress.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
then it must be one of your pivots. check all of them, visually at least, when you push on the bike to get the play. something in the linkage has to be the culprit, it's the only think that would explain the BB dropping before the shock starts to compress.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You have to be able to feel the movement somewhere. Put your finger tips on different parts of the suspension linkage while someone else cycles the suspension in the area you feel the play. Its a process of elimination. Another set of eyes usually helps too.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Double check the upper shock mount with your fingers. Lift and push on the seat with a finger resting on the upper shock eyelet. Are you using "the big bolt"? My 05 had a small amount of play there before I switched the upper shock pin for a big 8mm bolt.

Aside from that, the aft chainstay pivot has a tendancy to get loose if not threadlocked. This typically results in side to side play rather than up-down.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Did you replace the shock eyelet bushing on the shock? I have seen this on lots of bikes that where just overhauled or loosen everthing up and retighten it back up.
VM