Quantcast

Iron Horse SGS DH 04 Headset options?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hi

I have a 04 IronHorse SGS DH Pro frame with a 1.5" headtube.
When I bought the complete bike it was listed as having an E-13 1.5 - 1.125 reducer fitted with a 1.125 FSA IS-2 headset.
But now when I come to service the headset I find it actually has some cheap ball bearing Aheadset with a reducing crown race and top insert. Anyone know if this is what the SGS DH Pro was meant to come with?

Anyway, what I was wondering is what would be the best way to go headset wise for this frame?
I can either get E-13 reducers and fit one of the few internal headsets available to fit them or go with a better quality reducing headset. Strength and durability are far more important to me than weight.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Check out the Syncros FBI (google it, afaik it's not on their site yet). Reasonably priced (not sure what in your currency), and it's a direct reducer from 1.5 headtube to 1.125 steerer that is also zero-stack, and it uses some huge tapered roller bearings too which should mean it's fairly close to indestructible.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No joy looking for that headset with google I'm afraid, or on the Syncros website, is it actually available yet? cheers.

Anyone had experience with either the FSA Big fat PIG Pro Reducer headset or the FSA orbit z 1.5 r?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Gary said:
Hi

I have a 04 IronHorse SGS DH Pro frame with a 1.5" headtube.
When I bought the complete bike it was listed as having an E-13 1.5 - 1.125 reducer fitted with a 1.125 FSA IS-2 headset.
But now when I come to service the headset I find it actually has some cheap ball bearing Aheadset with a reducing crown race and top insert. Anyone know if this is what the SGS DH Pro was meant to come with?

Anyway, what I was wondering is what would be the best way to go headset wise for this frame?
I can either get E-13 reducers and fit one of the few internal headsets available to fit them or go with a better quality reducing headset. Strength and durability are far more important to me than weight.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary.

The SGS team came with the e13reducer cups, and the Pro came with the Aheadset. That Aheadset is actually pretty bombproof, I know more than a few top freeriders who use them because they barspin smooth.

The e13 reducer cups are very durable, made from 7075-T6. They should last through anything that you can dish out. They also won't break the bank.

hope this helps

Dave

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The SGS team came with the e13reducer cups, and the Pro came with the Aheadset.
Ah, thanks Dave.

That Aheadset would still be going strong if it had been fitted with a decent amount of grease from the off. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a supplier/retailer in the UK that has any.