Quantcast

Iron Horse Sunday Sizing?

Ginger Ninja

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Australia
I've got my name down for a Sunday Elite when they arrive but I'm a bit unsure about what size frame to get. I sent an email to IH about it and they suggested a 19" for my 6'1" height. Looking at the geometry though, the effective TT measurement looks way too long. It's much longer than other bikes I've ridden but the 17" looks about right.

I ordered a 19" anyway but I'd appreciate any input as no one around here owns a Sunday I could test ride.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I think it comes down to personal preference of liking a smaller bike or a bigger bike. Like you I am 6'1" and was deciding between the two sizes. I ended up getting the 19 and have been happy with it. They are fairly long bikes in terms of wheelbase but top-tube is on par with most other DH bikes I've ridden. Keep in mind that their TT measurement is effective TT and not the actual TT length. I ended up running a 75mm stem on mine to help with weighting the front in corners.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
At 6'1 a 19" should be right in your wheelhouse!

I am 6'2" and have never had a better fitting bike.

-ska todd

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am 6'1" and I ride the 17". I have over the years found out short TT fits me better as I have long legs but short upper body/arms. DHJay who I ride with is also 6'1" but is build like Todd and he feels and looks cramped on my 17" and will buy the 19" next year. Here is a picture of me from this weekend with the E13 BoXXer stem set at 45mm:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I was very nervous about sizing too. You have to keep in mind that the Sunday has a pretty unique geometry.

What I did was start comparing the front-center measurement (front wheel to bb), with other major frames out there.
Basically take the wheelbase, subtract the chainstay, there's your FC#.
Take into account the slacker 65 degree head hangle and you have a pretty good idea of how big the actual "cockpit" is (i.e. handlebar to bb when standing).

I'm 6'-0" and got a 19". I usually ride mediums, but I'm more at home on that bike than nearly every other bike I've ever had.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I am 5'11" with long arms. I ride my 17" with the e13 Boxxer stem at 55, and the 19" frae I had I rode that with the stem at 45mm. I was comfortable on both sizes but I prefer the smaller bike.

Keep in mind the Sunday has a little shorter CS than most other DH bikes in its class (17.25"). This gives it a little more lively feel and lets you ride up in the cockpit a bit more.

Dave

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
i'm 5'11" and still very unsure which size to get
both sizes 17" and 19" both feel fine
at the moment both bikes have boxxer mounted sic stems
but looking at getting a e13 boxxer mounted stem
that you can vary the stem from 45 to 55

sounds like dw feels much the same

which one should i get ?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Your right on the bubble.

Do you prefer smaller or bigger bikes?

I'm 6'0" and love the 19", but as dw say's above, he's 5'11" and has ridden both comfortably.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
dhkid

Sunday's come in a 16" for 2006
so hopefully that should suit shorter people

cheers

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
anybody have any input on a 5'7", 14 year old kid (ganna be 15 when i get my sunday) who is going to buy in about 5-6 months?
I've been riding a small bike for awhile now so I'm pretty used to small bikes.

thanks

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
16 inch? IH made em this year, I assume it would be small enough.
Although if you can get away with a 17 I'd grab that as 15 year olds grow like mad.
But most importantly, test em both out.

Also, at 6 foot I love my 19" Sunday.

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
im 5'8 and riding a 17" but i have the possibility to change to a 16, what do you think

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
RaID said:
6'2" riding a 17" feels perfect for me
yeah, im 6'3 and i took a run on ricky's 17" sunday. i am in <3 allthough the wheelbase felt a tiny bit short... nothing a different suspension setup couldent change. we'll see, 19's just feel funky to me..allthough i have never ridden one set up for me...

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Red Bull said:
yeah, im 6'3 and i took a run on ricky's 17" sunday. i am in <3 allthough the wheelbase felt a tiny bit short... nothing a different suspension setup couldent change. we'll see, 19's just feel funky to me..allthough i have never ridden one set up for me...
i sat on the 17" and it felt right, i prefare a smaller feeling bike but this doesnt really feel like it anyway, plus the shorter wheelbase suits me better due to tighter courses around here,

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
RaID said:
i sat on the 17" and it felt right, i prefare a smaller feeling bike but this doesnt really feel like it anyway, plus the shorter wheelbase suits me better due to tighter courses around here,
yeah its that way around here too, i'm just a little worried about courses like mt snow where my Medium dhr really feels too short. (oh, and my dad was wrong, im only 6'2 :love: )

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Red Bull said:
yeah its that way around here too, i'm just a little worried about courses like mt snow where my Medium dhr really feels too short. (oh, and my dad was wrong, im only 6'2 :love: )
i think the geo and low bb make up for stability at speed, i didnt feel sketchy at all on a fast open section at my last race

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
RaID said:
i think the geo and low bb make up for stability at speed, i didnt feel sketchy at all on a fast open section at my last race
i didnt on my last mt snow race, but at nationals, i went faster than I ever had on a bike. and my 13.6 bb and 65* head angle didnt make up for the 45" wheelbase since im so tall. I dunno, the sunday feels better though, like short is good.

I took a run on a 17" that was setup too stiff for me, and it was amazing. Even though i was getting like 1-2" of sag, I still hit the the top section of the track twice as fast and i did a complete run, not even realizing that i hadn't stopped once, I was just having that much fun. I'f I can get on a bike with the correct setup, 60mm stem, and 28"bars with little sweep I think that would be the fastest bike I could possibly be on. The bike is just so fast, the faster you go, the better it rides. I love it.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I keep hearing that from everyone I talk to about the sunday

"the faster you go, the better it rides. I love it" - Red Bull

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
I'm only 5'7" and ride a 17". I have my seat pretty far forward and run a supershort stem to shorten up the cockpit. I love it. But I do prefer a longer bike, maybe it's my moto roots idk.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
I'm 5'7 and i cant get enough of my 17" sunday. I love having the extra room in the tt over the 16" to get over the stem and rail those corners.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I'm 5'9" and I'm riding a 16" small. maybe its that washington has a lot tighter trails, but I've never ridden a bike that fits this good. Rides absolutely perfect. Highly recommended

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I'm 5'7" and i'll probly be 5'9" in about 7-8 months so I'm thinking 17" also because I don't want to worry about growing out of a 16"

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Red Bull said:
i didnt on my last mt snow race, but at nationals, i went faster than I ever had on a bike. and my 13.6 bb and 65* head angle didnt make up for the 45" wheelbase since im so tall. I dunno, the sunday feels better though, like short is good.

I took a run on a 17" that was setup too stiff for me, and it was amazing. Even though i was getting like 1-2" of sag, I still hit the the top section of the track twice as fast and i did a complete run, not even realizing that i hadn't stopped once, I was just having that much fun. I'f I can get on a bike with the correct setup, 60mm stem, and 28"bars with little sweep I think that would be the fastest bike I could possibly be on. The bike is just so fast, the faster you go, the better it rides. I love it.

word little man. ;)

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
well they could hit them but so could the medium. I would just worry about the crowns hitting my knee and they didnt on the 16"