Quantcast

Iron Horse Sunday Sizing?

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
i ride a medium bullit and i want something with just a lower BB since im becoming more competitive and i've been joining a lot of DH races now. i love how my bullit accelerates and how its so easy to pedal w/ the dhx 5.0. now i want a sunday and just want to make sure what size to get. from a medium bullit,should i go for a medium or a small sunday? im 5'7" by the way.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
i ride a medium bullit and i want something with just a lower BB since im becoming more competitive and i've been joining a lot of DH races now. i love how my bullit accelerates and how its so easy to pedal w/ the dhx 5.0. now i want a sunday and just want to make sure what size to get. from a medium bullit,should i go for a medium or a small sunday? im 5'7" by the way.

id be going for a small

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
that sucks .. looks like im gonna have to wait till someone sells a small sunday..

btw,does anyone know the guy selling the white morewood izimu in the classifieds? im having trouble contacting him.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i know a guy in singapore who is selling his 17 sunday if you are intersted. isn't there still one team global 222 in philipiens for sale? since you are intrested in the morewood, the 222 isn't that far off.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I'm 6'1, weigh 148 and i am 16 so i could maybe grow a couple more inches. I like smaller bikes, just came off a med bullit. But i might just like smaller bikes because that's what i am used to. I am leaning towards the 17. Any advice?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I'm 6'1, weigh 148 and i am 16 so i could maybe grow a couple more inches. I like smaller bikes, just came off a med bullit. But i might just like smaller bikes because that's what i am used to. I am leaning towards the 17. Any advice?
17" I am 6'2 and also 16, but i might grow a bit more and am 15 pounds heavier, so i think im gunna go for a 19" now because i want a longer wheelbase. If i was 6'1 i would get a 17.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
You should definitely get the 19". I think your right, you probably like smaller bikes because that's what your used to.

I'm 6'0" and always rode mediums. Still do for some bikes, but I have a 19" Sunday and it is by far the best fitting bike I've ever had. I just feel at home. And for what it's worth, the 19 isn't that long of a bike. The bb is relatively far forward. If you take the bb to handlebar (horizontally), it's about the same as a medium demo 8.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So if I were to get a Sunday at 6' (maybe a bit more now, I'm growing), you'd recommend a 19"? I've got really long arms.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I guess Red_Bull and I have differing opinions.
Yes, I would recomend the 19. Do you know anyone, or a nearby IH dealer where you could check one out?

Also, arm/torso length has more to do with bike size than leg length/height. Like when sizing people for road bikes, you can move the seat up and down for legs, but the tt/cockpit needs to accomidate the torso/arms.

If your on the fence, you should do your best to try one first.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I guess Red_Bull and I have differing opinions.
Yes, I would recomend the 19. Do you know anyone, or a nearby IH dealer where you could check one out?

Also, arm/torso length has more to do with bike size than leg length/height. Like when sizing people for road bikes, you can move the seat up and down for legs, but the tt/cockpit needs to accomidate the torso/arms.

If your on the fence, you should do your best to try one first.
I still would run a 17". Its just I could benifit from a longer wheelbase on faster course so i'm opting for a 19" with a shorter stem and bars with more backsweep. This shows it really is ALL personal preference. Duncan Riffle rides a 17" at 6'2" after originally recieving a 19" from Iron Horse, yet my friend Chris who comes from a Moto background at I believe 5'10-11" rides a large and loves it. Test one out.

Salmarnir777

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
I am about to buy an 08 Sunday.
But I am still Iffy on which size frame to get...
I am 6'1 185 pounds pretty proportional measurments.
I am told by my buddy to get the 19in

But I have made the mistake of getting a bike a little to big before and am thinking that maybe I should go with the 17in as where I might be able to throw it around a little easier.
Any opionons thanks. I am pretty new to the whole Downhill stuff but am totally intrested and need some help. Thanks...

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I'm 6' .25" a thin 195lbs and spent all day yesterday at whistler on a medium and had no issues other then hitting my damn pedals everywhere :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Back from the dead. Anyone have a comparison between a medium Sunday and a medium SX Trail as far as length? Even with a 65mm stem and 29" bars the SX felt too small to me, but I found a medium Sunday that looks like it could work for what I want to do. I'm about 6' 1" and very lanky. Thanks!

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
after using a 19 for two years i would like a 17. i am 6 feet and my buds 17 seems a bit quicker. the 19 is a big bike, all personal opinions though.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
At 6'1 you'd have the green light to run a large fairly comfortably. I'm 5'11 (fairly thin too) and am quite comfortable on the medium, however putting wider bars on it made all the difference. Running 760's at the moment and am very happy with the bike.

Try both if you can and make your decision after that. If you're considering the 17" only, definitely ride it first to make sure you don't feel cramped. Make sure it has 750+ bars on there too, anything less and I can almost guarantee you'll feel cramped at your height.

Also, you might be happy to know the wheelbase is a bit longer than claimed, my medium sits at 45.78". Ideally I'd have some -0.5* reducer cups to get that front centre a tad longer and push the WB to the low 46 mark, I'm sure someone will make them soon. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Udi, thanks for the (as-always) pertinent and tech-savvy advice.

Re: bars, when I bought the SXT my plan was to throw big bars on for some extra room (as well as a 65mm stem) but it still didn't provide me with the room I wanted, so I guess they're only good for so much naturally.

Good news on the wheelbase front though!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I'm sure someone will make them soon. :)
I am still working on getting a machine shop to do this. They guys that were recomended to me kept having troubles with the drawing file attachments... then 'forgot' about it for a week. Looking for other shops now....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey man,
Just being honest here, my old medium SXT and a medium sunday feel the exact same size wise. Cockpit wise and even the wheelbase is almost the exact same length. If one is too small, then the other one should be too.
That said, I know riders who are 6'2 that are happy on both bikes.
Its all personal preference.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey man, thanks for the info. Sounds like I have a preference toward larger bikes then, which is unfortunate since there's a really good deal on a 17" Sunday complete right now. I really wanted the SXT to work for me, but I think I should really be on a large then.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you want, I can take some measurements of my 17" sunday frame tomorrow... front center, down tube length..whatever. It might help you decide that is indeed to small for your preference...or might confuse you more.

Just let me know what you want measured and how, and I can post it back here......

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
While I certainly appreciate it, I unfortunately have nothing in my possession to compare it to. I should have measured my SXT before selling it...

This made me realize there should be a stickied thread with nothing but real-life measurements on frames on here (or maybe Sicklines?)

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Well guys, some sad news. The sunday will most likely be sold tomorow to make room for a 2019 gambler. Sad but excited to be getting on a larger bike, i put 1 grand on it price wise and have over 20 ppl msging me for it. Was only testing the waters but seeing the response its getting, its likely ill let it go to the first buyer offering me full price