Quantcast

Iron horse yakuza aniki vs. ?

Jul 29, 2006
First off i dont have a car so i need be able to ride the bike around town.Are there any more options i have other then the 42 lb. iron horse? I want a bike similar to that because i ride steep trails but i also need to ride the bike around town and get up steep hills, I never go to the ski mountains but maybe i will if i get a bike that can handle steep, fast, and rocky conditions, and i like the dh/fr look.
I dont know if any of that makes sense but basically all i want is a semi light bike (around 30 pounds) that i can ride up and down steep hills (street and trail) and bring it to the mountain if i want and it has to be in the 300-700 dollar range.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Downhilling would be a big sport if people could buy a 30 lb dh/fr bike that pedaled up hill well for $500.

Check the classifieds and you might find something close.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Well, your looking at the wrong catagory of bikes if you want to stay on the lower end of 30lbs and in that price range. Sounds like you need more of an All-Mountain bike. Less travel but a lighter bike. To compare within our line, the Warrior or Sachem would be 5-6" travel and weigh in around 35lbs. There's some good deals on 07 product right now so I should be possible to keep these within your price range. On the higher end of things, the Mark III is 5" travel and weighs in at 32lbs, it's way out of your price range though with the Trail coming in at $1,899.99 for 2008. None of these bikes are considered Freeride or DH bikes but a 30lbs dh/fr bike is going to be way out of the price range you listed.

Jul 29, 2006
Downhilling would be a big sport if people could buy a 30 lb dh/fr bike that pedaled up hill well for $500.

Check the classifieds and you might find something close.
Do you know how to read correctly? I stated that i would take it to the mountain and ride downhill if it could take it.

Jul 29, 2006
Well, your looking at the wrong catagory of bikes if you want to stay on the lower end of 30lbs and in that price range. Sounds like you need more of an All-Mountain bike. Less travel but a lighter bike. To compare within our line, the Warrior or Sachem would be 5-6" travel and weigh in around 35lbs. There's some good deals on 07 product right now so I should be possible to keep these within your price range. On the higher end of things, the Mark III is 5" travel and weighs in at 32lbs, it's way out of your price range though with the Trail coming in at $1,899.99 for 2008. None of these bikes are considered Freeride or DH bikes but a 30lbs dh/fr bike is going to be way out of the price range you listed.
The iron horse is $500. Im just asking if theres a bike lighter then that.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I gotta be honest, either save your money, or buy a nice hardtail. The aniki was the biggest turd I've ever ridden, and a complete waste of my time and money. You're better off saving up for something decent, or getting a hardtail, because low end full suspension bikes like the aniki are absolute ****shows.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
A $500 full-suspension bike is going to be a huge compromise, regardless of who makes it.

I have to agree.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
The worst advice I've ever gotten was on this forum when I asked about the aniki. I was told "I have one and I love it, perfect beginners bike lolz! BUY ONE!". Oh the things I've learned since...

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
The worst advice I've ever gotten was on this forum when I asked about the aniki. I was told "I have one and I love it, perfect beginners bike lolz! BUY ONE!". Oh the things I've learned since...
If your not sure you're going to get into the sport then yes, it's the perfect beginners bike. If you already ride and are used to higher end components then it's not going to be all that. All in all, the frame is a decent single pivot frame that can be upgraded to 7" of travel very easily by putting a slightly longer stroke shock on it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
get a used DH bike. cheaping out never works. although if u want something like that bighit spec frames with shocks sell for 100 bucks and i have seen complete ones for 500. (MSRP was 880) however its still not that great. i replaced all the parts on mine. (one of my favorite frames) but i can say that if u are not a huge fan of it its not worth it