Quantcast

IronHorse 2009 - no DW Link!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Found something shockin on another forum:

DW from Ibis forum: " Iron Horse's dw-link license will terminate after the 2008 model year, and I moved on from consulting on high end development work for IH in June 2007"

"Well, there may be a Sunday, but it won't be one that I designed, and it won't be using dw-link. There will however, be at least one dw-link downhill bike on the market.. just not a Sunday"

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
From what I have seen there will be DW-link IH bikes in 2009. There are a couple of models gone, but the Sunday, MkIII, and 6point seem to carry over for the 2009 year model. I suppose it could change, but that is pretty current info. Either way I am bummed to see IH and DW parting ways, but the way things have worked out IH is set to fade back into relative obscurity.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont think this will mean that IH will drop the sunday as we know it right now. they might still be producing it.

what this most probably means is that dw has something new up his sleeves, and is modifying the dw link a bit, so that what we know now as the dw-link now wont be a dw link in 09? maybe something along those lines?

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
owk so the license of IH will expire, but if they wanted they should be able to extend that license? So or dw didn't want to or IH. If IH didn't want to they are absolutely crazy because I think that because of dw (and sam hill) they had a succesful company.
without the dw link and sam hill there wouldn't be such a hype around IH.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
wow. . . i guess i was under the impression that this was old news and pretty well known since the end of the summer. I have to say i'm impressed it took someone 4 months to finally spill the beans here though.

There's a lot more to the Iron Horse story than just DW parting ways, and none of it sounds too promising . . .

i heard rumor of who is making the DW bike in '09, and if true it's going to make a lot of people very happy;)

Is it Intense? Are they leasing another patent, doubt it with the release of the M6? I doubt its Specialized, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Turner (wait it could be Turner, but doubt it), Trek, or Transition, so who does that leave? General Lee any clues?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Big whoop, another trend bike gets surpassed by technology. WTF is the big deal? Everyone needs to just take a deep breath, take off their Monster decaled-to-death helmets and their Monster jerseys and step back and look at their bikes. It's just a bike. it's like every other bike. Wheels go up and down, chains slap, cranks spin, handlebars wiggle. Huh...so what's all the hype about? Anyone ever actually WATCH a Sunday rip down a course? Most of them look like they stutter along like a hardtail to begin with, and it's not like there's seven hacks on Sundays all waiting at the bottom for better riders on "lesser" bikes.
If Sam Hill started winning on a fugging Walmart Mongoose, you'd all be lined up behind him in the 10-Items-Or-Less asile waiting for a price check from a plump goth chick with acne and no prom date.

Maybe what you guys need to be doing is worshipping the bike Sam LEARNED on, cuz that's what made him fast, not a bicycle suspension linkage design.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Is it Intense? Are they leasing another patent, doubt it with the release of the M6? I doubt its Specialized, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Turner (wait it could be Turner, but doubt it), Trek, or Transition, so who does that leave? General Lee any clues?
No, out of fear of DW's wiffle ball pitching skills my lips are sealed.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Big whoop, another trend bike gets surpassed by technology. WTF is the big deal? Everyone needs to just take a deep breath, take off their Monster decaled-to-death helmets and their Monster jerseys and step back and look at their bikes. It's just a bike. it's like every other bike. Wheels go up and down, chains slap, cranks spin, handlebars wiggle. Huh...so what's all the hype about? Anyone ever actually WATCH a Sunday rip down a course? Most of them look like they stutter along like a hardtail to begin with, and it's not like there's seven hacks on Sundays all waiting at the bottom for better riders on "lesser" bikes.
If Sam Hill started winning on a fugging Walmart Mongoose, you'd all be lined up behind him in the 10-Items-Or-Less asile waiting for a price check from a plump goth chick with acne and no prom date.

Maybe what you guys need to be doing is worshipping the bike Sam LEARNED on, cuz that's what made him fast, not a bicycle suspension linkage design.
you seemed to have missed the point entirely. and while many a hack might make the bike look like it handles like a hardtail, under someone who actually knows how to ride (and more specifically, how to race) it's pretty hard to deny that it is an example of one of the best performing combinations of suspension performance and bike design to date. Hate all you want, but it's no small occasion when arguabley the most popular and one of the best performing bikes ever available is discontinued at the peak of its demand.:stosh:

And when the rest of the World Wide Cycle (IH's parent company)story comes out i think you'll see that there is a lot more involved than technology simply changing hands and that it is, in fact, a pretty big deal.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
owk so the license of IH will expire, but if they wanted they should be able to extend that license? So or dw didn't want to or IH. If IH didn't want to they are absolutely crazy because I think that because of dw (and sam hill) they had a succesful company.
You may want to consider that Dave's brain is usually bored with whatever he is doing at any given moment because wheels in his head have moved onto the next idea!

I've met plenty of guys who aren't concerned with growing a single thing...just birthing.

Dave Weagle is MTB's equivalent of a Nobel Prize sperm donor. Planting brilliant seed but he ain't gonna be attending your barmitzva!

Yeah, where else can I get my daily dose of multiple "look how light I can make my Sunday" posts?
I heard rumors that Hill wont be running drivetrains at a few races this year for races where pedaling isn't necessary in order to get it under 30. he is just having a bottom bracket shell that he can thread his pedals into. Also heard that Iron Horse will be making a Sunday with an integrated seatpost mast so you dont have to run those pesky and heavy seatposts....discuss

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The decision to move on was completely mine, and it was a very tough decision at that.

I still remain friends with Stew Barnett the owner of WWCS, and have many friends in the company still. We built something special together over the past 6 years, and you just don't forget that over night.

The timing was right for me to move on and dw-link was part of that move for me. I wish Iron Horse and all of my friends at Iron Horse the best of luck moving forward.

Dave

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Does Sam come along on this move? Isn´t 2008 the last year with IH on that contract, for Sam? Hehe...

It´s a great bike, but there´ve been some issues that are very annoying for a normal person who pays a lot of many for his dh-bike. On the other hand, most dh-bikes seem to have their issues and the Sunday may get a little more of that critisism because of it´s popularity.

I look forward to future designs. One great designer and one big company - it´s easy to see they walk different ways?