Quantcast

IronHorse 2009 - no DW Link!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I hope DW has some time off between contracts so he can speak his mind more clearly instead of having possible red tape holding him back.
I wish him luck,but doubt he needs it.
Can't wait to see the new DW DH Rod.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
So, should I wait until fall to buy a Sunday Team for $50, or wait until next spring for the $7k IBIS full-carbon DW-link DH bike?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't get the whole Ibis DH bike or Pivot DH bike that people are throwing out there. It seems to me that the announcement was that the dw link was going somewhere new that couldn't be disclosed yet.

Ibis and Pivot are already known licensees of the dw link.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
DW said it would make alot of people on here happy.

I would put my money on morewood or sinister. The company would probably be single pivot based looking at moving into virtual piviot setups.

Turner has said before they are not interested in dw-link (few years ago), but he has said big things are planned for 2009. A DW-link turner DH would be sick and i would buy one straight up.

Intense have just redesigned the M3, don't think Giant would use it, same with specialized and santa cruz. Yeti has the whole rail thing and has spent alot of money on it so i don't think they would go DW link.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I would put my money on morewood or sinister. The company would probably be single pivot based looking at moving into virtual piviot setups.

Turner has said before they are not interested in dw-link (few years ago), but he has said big things are planned for 2009. A DW-link turner DH would be sick and i would buy one straight up.

Intense have just redesigned the M3, don't think Giant would use it, same with specialized and santa cruz. Yeti has the whole rail thing and has spent alot of money on it so i don't think they would go DW link.
Maybe Orange? Cuz there is some info on the new morewood and 225 is still a secret. Or wouldn't he deal with euro companies?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

There should be a Litter mag competition to guess the new setup.

I have looked into my strategic management books and they told me that DW should build the bike for his own company. That is at least my best guess.

I fear the new DW DH bike will be super sweet and I have to buy it even though I still love my 2005 Sunday Factory.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
There should be a Litter mag competition to guess the new setup.

I have looked into my strategic management books and they told me that DW should build the bike for his own company. That is at least my best guess.

I fear the new DW DH bike will be super sweet and I have to buy it even though I still love my 2005 Sunday Factory.

The only argument against your hypothesis is that it would put Evil in direct competition with companies that buy E13 components. I think that was the original reason why the Evil DH bike was not produced years ago.

It will probably be just a guessing game until interbike or when someone get's DW drunk enough at the US Open. :lighten:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The only argument against your hypothesis is that it would put Evil in direct competition with companies that buy E13 components. I think that was the original reason why the Evil DH bike was not produced years ago.

It will probably be just a guessing game until interbike or when someone get's DW drunk enough at the US Open. :lighten:

O.K., O.K. - so maybe starting off the night with a round of Jager shots wasn't such a good idea... :biggrin: to be honest I was so crushed that I couldn't even last a full round of Quarters with Jonas and the e.thirteen crew... and with Walsh handing me beers as fast as I could drink them - that was NOT helping my situation either. :biggrin: That guy is awesome.

Were you there that night? I was buying shots for a TON of people - I'm pretty sure Gn'R was one of them... and some chick that looked like she just walked out of a Whitesnake video...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well with everybody putting out copies of the E13 products I would rather put my long term plans on a complete bike company. Plus I am sure you could run both companies independently or sell E13 to raise cash for the new company.

And then one day E13 will produce their magic pedal :lighten:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
If was made by turner i would get it, but mainly because i really like the way turner design their bikes and the attention to detail, not to mention kick arse support and old frame trade in deals etc. With weagles suspension design input and turners design skills mated together would make one sweet ride.

Not sure about Orange, do they even have a US distributer these days?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
im really curious as to who the new company will be that licenses te dw link.. he said it would make people happy, what other companies do munky's drool over these days besides IH

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Its funny, I was talking with friends over the Xmas break about what would be happening with the Sunday. Must have smelled something in the wind or something.

I will be sorry to see the DW Sunday disappear from the new bike offerings of IH bikes as I was looking forward to seeing further evolution of the bike, but at the same time I'm always stoked to see what new offerings companies have.

Where the new DW DH bike comes from will be exciting to see and what IH puts out to replace the DW Sunday will be great to see as well.

IH must have benefited immensely from an engineering perspective from working with DW. Compare what the SGS looked like compared to likes of the Demo 9 from specialized which were on offer at the same time. The difference in quality was galaxies apart. Now IH have got a reputation as a quality manufacturer. Granted that the Sunday took a couple of years to iron out the bugs (no pun intended) but you cant say that things will go backwards in the quality department just because DW leaves.

I was stoked to see Pivot Cycles make an appearance, but at the same time a little disappointed to read that their offerings will be restricted to trail bikes (for now). Especially because their frame sets do not appear to have ISCG or ISCG05 mounts and their geo is a little too XC for me.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see Pivot build a DH bike in the future but I don't think it was what DW hinted at in his earlier posts. Perhaps they might be better building the Sam Hill Super D type bike(??) that just about everyone I know would kill for.

I cant see IBIS building a DW DH as thats just so far from where they appear to be positioned in the market. I'm not sure the market (aka you lot) is ready for a full carbon DH bike either.

I would like to see Turner get on the DW bandwagon. The reputation for quality they have is legendary. The combination of this and the brilliance of the DW system would surely benefit both Dave's.

What ever happens, its all good.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
O.K., O.K. - so maybe starting off the night with a round of Jager shots wasn't such a good idea... :biggrin: to be honest I was so crushed that I couldn't even last a full round of Quarters with Jonas and the e.thirteen crew... and with Walsh handing me beers as fast as I could drink them - that was NOT helping my situation either. :biggrin: That guy is awesome.

Were you there that night? I was buying shots for a TON of people - I'm pretty sure Gn'R was one of them... and some chick that looked like she just walked out of a Whitesnake video...
Haha, yeah I was one of them. You passed like 15 Jager shots right over me without spilling... until the last one haha. You made up for it by giving some shots though, so it's all good. You were super wasted though, it was funny.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
A Turner would indeed be cool. A gearbox even cooler. I don't think anyone mentioned Kona yet.
Lahar would be on the hill with a large financial backer,I'm guessing the same could be said for BCDs. No large brands have the Carbon knowledge or production set ups to bother investing in it, Especially when everyone still buys ally frames so eagerly. Maybe GT could have another go at it.
I'm putting a 100 points on Kona.

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
It funny seeing all the speculation going on here. But I know that a good number of people on here know exactly what is going on. But are not telling! Don't think the DW linkage is going anywhere but to the next level in its next version. As for Hill, I bet he continues to ride a DW bike after his IH days.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You are right on with that one CK. As long as Evil Bikes is under my watch there will be no full suspension bikes. EVER. We've put zero effort into growing or diversifying the brand for the last few years, its always been about having jumping bikes that were fun to ride and that's pretty much it. e.thirteen is our passion and we have a lot more to share there.

hah! my lips are sealed :cool:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
IH must have benefited immensely from an engineering perspective from working with DW.
Biggest understatement in the history of RM. Without DW IH would still be purveyors of stamped Taiwan junk. Luck brought DW to IH, they should put a statue of DW in front of their building......a big one.

I wonder if its Trek.....instead of fighting about the Split_Pivot patent why not just hire DW.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC

A Turner DW link would be the ****in' ****!!!! Not sure why but my gut is saying Turner is the company.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
hah! my lips are sealed :cool:
Hey you old codger...you owe a visit to NC since you skipped out on me at the last National. You've never had southern hospitality til us boys in Asheville take you out and about!!!!

And once you're here...you ain't leavin' til I get some secrets out of you. Mostly ones about Tobler's passion for spandex....

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Respected as one of the best builders in the industry.
They collaborated with go-ride to create the el-cuervo.
So they have a history of collaborating with outside companies for designing their DH bike.

Just a guess.

I'm hoping its going to be carbon with a gearbox.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i just hope it's not morewood or orange...keep it U.S. based. dealing with over seas bike companies is a royal PITA.

and also, i hope it's not turner...pffff....homer foolz and their "any tips on preventing scuff marks?" mentallity. last thing i want to do is become one of them.:monkeydance:

good luck DW!!! can't wait to see what's next for the linkage!