Quantcast

IronHorse 2009 - no DW Link!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Respected as one of the best builders in the industry.
They collaborated with go-ride to create the el-cuervo.
So they have a history of collaborating with outside companies for designing their DH bike.

Just a guess.

I'm hoping its going to be carbon with a gearbox.

From some of the conversations i had with him in the Spring, I'm under the impression DW isn't pursuing the gearbox idea very much anymore; his reasons being based on some very basic but sound logic.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey you old codger...you owe a visit to NC since you skipped out on me at the last National. You've never had southern hospitality til us boys in Asheville take you out and about!!!!

And once you're here...you ain't leavin' til I get some secrets out of you. Mostly ones about Tobler's passion for spandex....
LOL, I know Butch, I really do. This year, I PROMISE!

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I wonder if its Trek.....instead of fighting about the Split_Pivot patent why not just hire DW.
I've heard similar grumblings about Cove bikes, particularly with a new model that was shown at Interbike but not released yet due to some specific similarities to a certain DW link....further, Cove's lead designer Brian Kelly, the guy responsible for the Shocker suspension design is rumored to have left Cove.

Although this could just be feeding the rumour mill......

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
companies like morewood and orange seem like they would not be interested in a dw styled bike, they have pushed the single pivot pride thing for quite awhile. specialized seems out because they have fsr, turner just made the new dhr so i doubt that they are looking to make something else so soon. when i think about it norco could be coming to the end of their fsr lease from specialized but it doesnt seem likely to me that they would be moving on. yeti has the rail system, giant has maestro but maybe their infringing on patents with the dw so may just be licensing it from them? cruz has vpp, i dont think cove has the money to spend on it....

so this leaves me to believe that the only possible companies out there that need a new design and have the funds and exposure to support such a decision are kona and Cannondale

and on the optimistic side, trek and sinister perhaps?

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Scott? They can't sell a some of their bikes in the US right now because of the patent fight with Specalized...It would be a good opportunity for them to get back in the game here in the USA.

Tom

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
kona? morewood? orange? scott? turner? jamis? norco? huffy? turner? cannondale?

man, i'd be bummed if any of the above mentioned companies roll the DW*link....but then again, if somebody told me back in 2000 that iron horse would eventually build a top 5 DH bike, i would've laughed my ass off.

my point is, i don't think it matters so much who the company is, with DW consulting on design and engineering...the bike will be a contender.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
You are right on with that one CK. As long as Evil Bikes is under my watch there will be no full suspension bikes. EVER. We've put zero effort into growing or diversifying the brand for the last few years, its always been about having jumping bikes that were fun to ride and that's pretty much it
whats the deal with evil anyways, are you guys still producing frames? whats this i keep hearing about the imperial being discontinued? is it making a come back at some point.

wow i remember the days when i went to my lbs and drooled just looking at the red imperial they had on the wall.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm willing to put my hard cash (and by that I mean RM Credits) down on that being an all-new Foes '09 WC machine.

Remember this post my friends and heap the adoration upon me when I am proven correct.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I'm willing to put my hard cash (and by that I mean RM Credits) down on that being an all-new Foes '09 WC machine.

Remember this post my friends and heap the adoration upon me when I am proven correct.
foes will actually be building a race bike?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well with the idea that this was a business decision, perhaps there was a higher bidder than IH? Knowing that, it doesn't seem like many companies would have $$ for that besides Spec, C'dale, and Trek. The only logical of those 3 would be Trek. However, DW said people would be excited to see this new bike, and with the way Trek is seen by most(cooties, etc), that knocks them out too. I'm at a loss.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its gotta be Kona, no one else needs a suspension design as bad as they do ;)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I bet he gives up bikes altogether and starts designing helicopter parts.....
I doubt it. I think he previously worked on aircraft parts. There is way more money in aerospace and automotive engineering. However, there is way more daily BS that doesn't involve engineering. I applaud DW for being able to support himself working on something that he likes and being able to provide a place for others to work.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
How about Independent Fabrications? I saw a cool rendition of the DW-link on an IF frame while thumbing through the new MBA at the store yesterday.

DH bikes aren't really their thing for sure but I do remember a really sweet 4X frame I had from them a while back so who knows? Definitely regret selling that frame though :(

Edit: eh, prolly not. I think their DW-link is the Tungsten Electrode and will most likely be crazy in price (and quality too no doubt)

someguy

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Colorado
Iron horse is in trouble. They are charging too much for the bikes. Virtually the same bike was almost $2000 less a few seasons ago. It is a good bike but you can build any custom DH rig for the price of a Sunday WC. DW has plenty of other good designs and ideas. Fallow him not IH.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
How about Independent Fabrications? I saw a cool rendition of the DW-link on an IF frame while thumbing through the new MBA at the store yesterday.

DH bikes aren't really their thing for sure but I do remember a really sweet 4X frame I had from them a while back so who knows? Definitely regret selling that frame though :(

Edit: eh, prolly not. I think their DW-link is the Tungsten Electrode and will most likely be crazy in price (and quality too no doubt)
Can't see IF producing an DH bike but what did happen to the IF bike. Did it ever go on sale. Nice bike for sure

Pictures from Interbike 2004 from Bikemagic.com.

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
I was looking through the dw-link website and then onto IF and IBIS, IF doesn't have anything on the site about the bike that I can find. But they are listed on the dw-link page. So who knows what?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Isn't IF the bike company that has like 10 owners? I remember seeing some finance show that went to diff businesses to help them out, and if I remember right, IF was one of them. One of their problems was the fact it had 10 owners.

How'd you like to be their employee that got told 10 different times you used the wrong cover page on your TPS report? Hahaha (Office Space joke)

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The Indy Fab Tungsten Electrode never went into production. Though there are a few protos out there including a steel one that that is more like a dj / ds bike. The main problem with the frames was that the Ventana made rear ends kept cracking, amongst other issues. I think the Indy Fab guys are happy making hardtails and road bikes.

Can't see IF producing an DH bike but what did happen to the IF bike. Did it ever go on sale. Nice bike for sure