Quantcast

Ironhorse for beginner

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Had a look about on the internet and found this bike,

IronHorse Warrior 3.3 HT 07

it's $499.99 which seems good for first bike. Has anybody ridden one before and know what there like. I have only just started but im only going to be doing some downhill trials with a few smallish jumps. Would this be suitable for that.?

thanks

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
What do you consider "downhill" to be?

If you simply mean a downward slope, that bike will be fine. If you are thinking of blazing down trails normally intended for 8+ inches of front and rear travel, you might be in for a disappointment.

And how big are these jumps you are thinking of hitting?

But that bike looks like it should be fun and a great first time ride - I say go for it. Just understand that it has limitations. Get it and go trail riding. Develop your skills and as you become more familiar with what kind of style you like, you'll have a good idea of what you need next.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you don't know what size bike -- and determining that is not easy -- then you should spend a little more and bike the RIGHT bike at your local bike shop. They'll not only determine what size bike is right, but they'll make adjustments and fit the bike to you, like swapping out the stem to get the right height and distance for your handlebars.

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
It depends on what you will do, If your gonna downhill race i'd get a Iron Horse sunday. If you just ride down a hill an hit some small jumps the bike you saw will be fine. Even though you just started I'd get an Iron Horse 7point3 or a Sunday.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Ah i probably should have explained myself a bit better. Well basically just trials down from the mountain top with jumps averaging about 2foot i think and theres on that about 5. There are biggerr jumps at the course though but on a different trial. Hope this helps. Oh and i will be mostly at silverstar mountain if that helps. If any of you have ridden there you will know probably whats there.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
One thing to understand is that the bike in your post is not a dirt jumping bike. It seems to lack the geometry required to make a bike feel comfortable in the air. Also, the parts included most likely won't withstand the hard hits associated with learning how to hit jumps.

As much as I hate to link to Pinkbike, there's a decent list of hardtail freeride bikes here. If you want to find a bike for bruising down a mountain and hitting jumps, you might want to find something a little beefier and only marginally more expensive. If you're looking for a simple bike to learn the basics on without going big, the bike in your post will be fine.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
One thing to understand is that the bike in your post is not a dirt jumping bike. It seems to lack the geometry required to make a bike feel comfortable in the air. Also, the parts included most likely won't withstand the hard hits associated with learning how to hit jumps.

As much as I hate to link to Pinkbike, there's a decent list of hardtail freeride bikes here. If you want to find a bike for bruising down a mountain and hitting jumps, you might want to find something a little beefier and only marginally more expensive. If you're looking for a simple bike to learn the basics on without going big, the bike in your post will be fine.
Ok ThankYou very much Del, i shall take a look.