Quantcast

Ironhorse SGS Team Sizing

Rockin Johny

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Ajax, ON
Looking at purchasing a 2004 SGS Team Frame and just wondering how they fit up. I am looking at a small frame (17") I am 6' tall. Currently ride a 2002 Giant Team DH in medium (with long top tube) but find it a bit stretched out. So, is small IH the right size? Do they fit large compared to other brands?

Thanks

John

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
You could probably ride the 17" frame fine. I'm a 5' 11", a bit long-limbed, and it felt OK to me ( I rode one for about a month). You can always get a layback seat, longer stem to get the right fit.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Rockin Johny said:
Looking at purchasing a 2004 SGS Team Frame and just wondering how they fit up. I am looking at a small frame (17") I am 6' tall. Currently ride a 2002 Giant Team DH in medium (with long top tube) but find it a bit stretched out. So, is small IH the right size? Do they fit large compared to other brands?

Thanks

John
At 6' tall I would recomend atleast the medium. I am about 6' and rode a 2003 medium SGS. I really like small bikes so I was very interested in getting a small for 2004. When I tried it out I could barely pedal because my knees would hit underneath the handle bar. The top tubes on the older model Iron Horses seem to be very short compared to their recomended seat tube size. I also ran a Giant DH bike in a medium and felt that it was a bit to long for me. The medium SGS was perfect.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Rockin Johny said:

Thanks

John
I have a 17" frame and I am 5'11"- it feels fine to me. In fact when i bought it, I wanted the medium frame and I was lead towards the 17" frame. I am very happy with it. You should have no problems with that size frame IMHO.

Click the link to see mine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm 5'11" and ride a medium, although I fit a small too. infact that's what I ordered but there were only mediums left.

PAMS - my stock 2004 SGS DH Pro complete bike was 47lb - that's with 7" Boxxers and apart from the rims the rest of the parts weren't exactly heavy.

Rockin Johny

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Ajax, ON
neversummersnow said:
I'm 6'2" and would like a longer bike than my LARGE! I like my bike a bit stretched out though but I still feel it's an "east coast" fitting bike.
What do you mean by "East Coast Fitting Bike"? Do you mean short, compact and tight for steep rocky , twisty terrain?