Quantcast

Ironhorse sunday vs ironhorse 7.5

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Having a hard time finding good info on the geo differences between these two bikes.

Still in search of a cheap used DH/freeride bike for the ole lady to ride.

I have a chance to buy an IH Sunday size small, or, an ironhorse 7.5.

She rode the santa cruz VP Free I asked about earlier, she did not like it at all, I rode it, did not like it at all.

She rode my specialized big hit III and liked it, rode my buddies ironhorse sunday and liked it.

Have another friend offering up a 7.5 for a slightly more apealing price. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

How different is the 7.5 to the sunday?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I had a 7.5 that I raced in 2005. I liked it until I realized it was not happy at race speeds. It was heavy, too, but it was perfect for more technical slow speed free ride type trails. If that's the type of trails you ride, well, I'd probably still get a Sunday, unless she needs to do some climbing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
she's slow, and recently rode a Santa Cruz VP Free and felt it was too tall, and not slack enough.

She doesn't race, or ride super technical stuff, but has a much more enjoyable time on a lower slacker bike that she is comfortable on. She liked my 2010 specialized big hit and but it was too big (M), liked my buddies sunday, and it's a small.

Thanks for the info guys.

What's a 7.5 frame worth?

(The 7.5 is complete and comes with some extra parts, the sunday is just a frame)

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
A 7point5 has a 38 cm BB and around 67 degree head angle (2007). I have just ridden mine for a year now and I've bought a Session to replace it. Yes, it's probably a sick bike for smooth trails and bikeparks, but I mainly rode rocky and rooty downhill and it didn't perform extremely well. It wallowed a lot and generally felt unstable at high speeds. But in the air it was really good. It was easy to get the bike where I wanted it to be and I did rarely feel it bottom out even on unsmooth landings.

It's a good bike if you mainly ride smooth trails and like to jump, but for full on DH there is better bikes, including the Sunday. My current bike is extremely more stable and pretty much never wallows, with the lower BB and slacker head angle it's easy to maeuver at high speeds as well. On lines where my 7point5 was skipping all over the place, the Session is dead stable.

(I'm selling my 7point5, size small).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sunday hands down as stated the 7.5 it sits up and is good for single track and fr lines but for stability and plush feel coupled with handling the Sunday is a really well designed bike. Loving mine.
Corners and pedals well really centered pocket that is pretty big so if your a smudge back or forward you still felt planted.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I never got my sunday to perform the way that I wanted it to. Fit was spot on, geometry was great, and I'm not sure you can get a better value for your dollar, but something about the suspension didn't work for me. It may have been the shock, but it's gone so I'll never know. It pedaled great and braked fair, but left me looking for something more over the moguls.