Quantcast

Irony, Hypocrisy, Silliness?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
So the Bush Administration is now pressuring Israel not to retaliate (or at least show restraint) if attacked by Iraq? Meanwhile the US pursues the right to invade Iraq on the premise that they may eventually develop the means to attack the US?

Am I missing something or is Israel a hell of a lot closer to Iraq and had scuds lobbed into its country during the Gulf War? Plus Israel will have to live with the effects of our Mid-east actions much more so than we will.

Guess our leaders must just be far smarter than those clowns in Israel :rolleyes:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
It's probably the same reason why we pressured Israel not to mobilize its forces during the Gulf War -- we would lose the support of the coalition of Arab states poised against Iraq and most likely turn the war into an all out jihad. How did we get Israel to agree? We told them that they would not get the codes that would identify their planes/vehicles as friendly forces.

... or so I heard.

zibbler

Monkey
I think it has more to do with wanting to protect Isreal. They are surrounded by muslim nations that HATE Isreal, so if Isreal was to attack Iraq, all the surrounding middle eastern countries would attack Isreal. That's why they also asked Isreal not to attack or retaliate during the Gulf war. Obviously the scuds were launched into Isreal to invoke a response, which would have lead to an all out war with them. Just my take on the issue.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Tweek
It's probably the same reason why we pressured Israel not to mobilize its forces during the Gulf War -- we would lose the support of the coalition of Arab states poised against Iraq and most likely turn the war into an all out jihad. How did we get Israel to agree? We told them that they would not get the codes that would identify their planes/vehicles as friendly forces.

... or so I heard.
YES. :)

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Slight problem. This time Bush II has no coalition of Arab states that support us. We are not going in to protect Saudi Arabia or liberate Kuwait. We are claiming that we have an undeniable right to act in our or self defense by going into a country thousands of miles away. And yet we expect Israel to chill and trust us to do right. Bush isn’t willing to trust the U.N. - fair enough, so why a double standard for Israel?

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
the US is smart, in my CANADIAN opinion, to ask ISRAEL to chill for the time being. two wars on two fronts would create a lot of confliction, especially with two FAT CATS running each show. the US has the ball (and the BALLS) to take this initiative head on. i fully expect to them to win as i support the fight for freedom;
just don't kill us all in the process. i sorta knew one of the dudes that got axed in afghanistan by the errant pilot. shame...

the new world is definitely gonna beat this enemy, ah tell you what.