Quantcast

is $30 a bit high to bleed a brake?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I decided yesterday that I didn't particularly like the feel of my back brake compared to my front, so I rode the bike up to the local bike shop and asked how much to bleed my back brake, they said $30, that seemed a bit high to me considering i could just order a bleed kit for $25 or so off ebay....

Is that standard pricing?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's not too far out of line, no. Depends a bit on what brake it is, some are easier than others.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe it's me, but I can't see charging under $30 for anything. Once you've taken the previous bike off the stand, dragged yours out of the rack, put it on the stand, gotten the tools out and started the process... Even if the actual bleed takes <10 minutes, you've at least equaled that time in setup/cleanup.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Maybe it's me, but I can't see charging under $30 for anything. Once you've taken the previous bike off the stand, dragged yours out of the rack, put it on the stand, gotten the tools out and started the process... Even if the actual bleed takes <10 minutes, you've at least equaled that time in setup/cleanup.
Yup. Pretty much what I meant.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
fair enough, I just thought it seemed a bit steep. I'd rather just do it myself, so I ordered the bleed kit instead, I guess time and convenience cost something....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We charge less than $30 for stuff all the time...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Whether or not $30 is worth it depends on how good you are with brakes. If your pretty handy and the brake is easy, not worth it. If your all thumbs and working with a tough brake, it will be hellish and you'll probably end up taking it to the shop anyway.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The thing with brakes is they're either hit or miss when bleeding......sometimes you bleed it in 30 seconds and it comes out mint the first shot....other times you find yourself 3 hours into it, covered in brake fluid sitting on the ground crying.

What brake(s) is it?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The thing with brakes is they're either hit or miss when bleeding......sometimes you bleed it in 30 seconds and it comes out mint the first shot....other times you find yourself 3 hours into it, covered in brake fluid sitting on the ground crying.

What brake(s) is it?
:rofl:

Choice 2 seems most obvious.

Avid Juicy 3.

I'm perfectly handy and 100% confident with cars, i've bleed MANY brakes on cars, as well as hydraulic clutches, etc. and had no problems, but it does honestly seem a bit more confusing/complicated with the bike brakes, but for $30 I guess I can "f" with it for a bit and if all else fails take it in to the shop.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know about the Avids but the most fiddly/difficult part of bleeding my Hayes is forcing the brake fluid tube onto the bleeder. Otherwise, if you can squeeze a bottle, you can bleed the brakes.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I don't know about the Avids but the most fiddly/difficult part of bleeding my Hayes is forcing the brake fluid tube onto the bleeder. Otherwise, if you can squeeze a bottle, you can bleed the brakes.
That's what makes Avids so easy. There is a fitting at the end of the syringe that threads right into the lever assembly. Put some fluid in the syringe, thread it in, push some fluid in, suck air out, repeat, done.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Brake bleeds fall under the "Could be 5 minutes, could be 50 minutes" types of jobs.
Refer to post #13:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you are capable of doing it yourself I don't know why you would ever have a shop bleed your brakes. Once you have the kit you can always use it. Being self-sufficient has many rewards and you'll save a bunch of cash in the long run.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
My complaint with the old Hayes 9s and Mags was the bleed kit. The Strokers use 1/2 the Avid kit now, the syringe threads into the master cylinder.

I found that even though Avids were easier to set up, they were harder to get right. There always seems to be some nook or crany with air in the caliper or master cylinder somewhere.

Either way, I always do my own. Its it $30 per brake? Or $30 for the set?