Quantcast

Is a long interview a good thing?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I may have the opportunity to go into a very successful local ad agency to run their art department. They are interviewing several people obviously. So its like American Idol right now... I made it to Hollywood (resume selection), went through round one (portfolio), but I dont know if I have made it to roud 2 yet.

I went in on Friday and they said their initial interviews were basically a meet and greet, you know, get to know the company, show portfolio, talk about experience and basic creative philosophies. They said it would be like 30-45 minutes max. That turned into a monster 2+ hour interview. We seemed to get along really well. The question is, is a 2 hour interview a good thing? I dont think I have ever wanted a job this frikking bad... the agency is top notch and has an extremely good atmosphere. Basically, its my dream agency job.

J

JRB

It's not a shoe in, but it is a good sign for certain.

Good luck, golgi.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks man... I'm litterally watering at the mouth. If I get this job, I will finally get to go to my current boss and say, "I am going to have to leave you guys... no sir, its not about the money, its about how god danm bored I am because the piss has been micromanaged out of me". Seriously, I hope I get to have that conversation... It'd take six figures and stability insurance like a contract or something to keep me in this lame ass job, or at least pretty damn close to six figures.

I'll be a super happy dude at the other place, and I think I could really kick some ass for them. Thought the :monkey: would be a rarely visited place, running the art department of an ad agency doesnt leave one with lots of free time in between 8 and 5.

EDIT: the new edit feature is the shizz... no reloading, golgi likey.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
yes, usually longer interviews are better, they want to keep you there longer and see how you will interact with different members of the current staff, like say over lunch and crap. Both of my long interviews have turned out to be kick ass upgrades in the job thingymadillywhacker

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No doubt it's a good sign. If they didn't like you, they would have wrapped up the interview much sooner than that.

Now, that does not mean a short interview is necessarily a bad thing. The last lady I interviewed, it was a 20 minute interview and I hired her.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Longer for the most part is better. But sometimes they take longer just to see if your full of it based on the resume. I have had interviews that took forever just because someone wanted to call BS on my resume and it took a while to defend it.

Good luck on this one for sure.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
My one long interview (8 hour, 6 person gangbang) turned out very well and any time I've gone back for additional interviews they've gone well.

I'd say it is a good thing, hope it works out for you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
jimmydean said:
Longer for the most part is better. But sometimes they take longer just to see if your full of it based on the resume. I have had interviews that took forever just because someone wanted to call BS on my resume and it took a while to defend it.

Good luck on this one for sure.
That wasn't the case... my portfolio backs my resume up quite nicely and I have a nice history and a purpose on every piece in there. Whats funny is that usually, when someone is checking out my book, they give me some sort of critique on something... or at least ask a question like, "so why exactly did you do this like this?". They didnt do that at all, I got a couple of "nice work" comments on some things but no negative comments or even a single question. I dont know if I just answered all their questions with my presentation, if they just really liked everything and agreed with my execution, or if they totally hated my stuff and just were so nice they didnt want to say anything.

I remember back in like 97/98 I interviewed with the owner of the top agency in town. He totally destroyed me on every single piece... this last interview was just odd in that respect. I dont know what to think.

I probably just need to stop thinking about it and get back to work, heh.