Quantcast

Is an upgrade worth it?

cygraphics

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Tallahassee
I've got a 2000 Trek 6000 which has been very good to me. I've been riding this bike for 3.5 years now and was wondering if it was worth it to upgrade the fork or crankset. Would I really notice these upgrades? I'm sure I would with the fork, but the crankset?

I know I should just by a new higher level bike, but don't want spend 1100 bucks right now.

Currently has the manitou Magnum fork and some low end crank. It does have a LX rear derailer and time pedals.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Do you race seriously? If not, don't replace stuff unless it breaks.

My XC race bike has a 1998 fork and square taper cranks on it, and I raced the sh*t out of it up 'til about a year ago, then I pretty much haven't ridden it since (that's what DH will do to ya).

Save the upgrades for when stuff actually breaks/wears out, or you win the lottery.

cygraphics

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Tallahassee
thanks DBR!
I might as well just ride this bike till the stuff breaks. i have raced before, but I doubt I ever get serious about it.

I just had a gift certificate to the local bike shop and was wondering if it would be better spent on parts than clothes and tubes. Of course the certificate wouldn't cover the price of new parts but every little bit helps.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You can replace the fork if you want, but I wouldn't bother with the cranks. The cranks you won't notice a difference, and the fork I'd only replace if you need to - i.e. your current fork is damaged, or you're unhappy with it. I'm not familiar with the Magnum, but FWIW... I've seen some on-line shops running last year's (I think it was last year's) Black for ~$200. Not a bad buy.