Quantcast

Is Carters Lake DH worth a 5hr drive?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm trying to plan for races in october but $$ is a big issue, especially with gas. i've wanted to hit the carters lake series since last year but i already have conflicting plans for the november race and the october race is the weekend before the 26 west race.
so here's my problem. i can afford to drive the 5 hours to carters lake and race but then i couldn't afford to race 26 west. or, i could race 26 west (2.5 hour drive) and tag along with someone down to carters lake (i'm not sure if i'd take noah to carters lake or not...can't remember if they have a beginner course)

i'd really like to support the local bike park and race there but i've REALLY been wanting to check out the carters lake scene as the vids and pics make it look really fun.

someone please talk me into one or the other that way it's not my fault if i regret the decision ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
If you can somehow work out a way to do both that would rule.
But to answer your question, Carter's Lake is worth it.
It is just an extremely fun course. If you are going to drive all that way just make sure that you go down the day before, and ride all day, and then camp the night before the race. You will get in a ton of riding in that way.
Hit me up about riding down together when the race gets a little closer.
I can't make plans that far out right now with the little boob vampire acting up every night.:biggrin:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I view it a bit different. While I am a HUGE supporter of Brady and Carter's Lake races, I would not drive 5hr to race it. What makes that race the best of the year is how low key and relaxed it is. Driving 5 hrs complicates that and in my view would make it not worth it. Same with the Dark Mtn stuff. I liked the course and had a good time with a well run race, buts its a tough 4 hours from my house and it just wasn't worth it. I say stay local and save the time and money for something else.