Quantcast

Is DH hot again?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I was surprised to see that Blue Mountain and Highland season passes are sold out for 2021. Is this a COVID restriction deal or are DH bikes the shit again?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Diablo is sold out also. Definitely said they were restricting the number of season passes sold because of Covid.

I think overall people are just looking for more shit to do outdoors. Lots are packed. Almost got in a dadbod slapfight trying to hold spots for friends last fall at a well ridden Jersey trailhead. My god, we nearly killed each other with passive-aggressive mumbling. Many man-feelings were permanently damaged that day.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Is it truly DH if everyone is on a trenduro bike?

On the other hand, real DH bikes are some of the only ones actually available.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No, but maybe yes.

I went to highland once last year- I don't think I'll be back for a long time. The line was massive, nobody was wearing masks, and social distancing was poorly followed. I am shocked that there was no super-spreader event linked back to the place, but live free and die I guess. My guess is that they are trying to reduce capacity by changing season pass rules.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diablo is sold out also. Definitely said they were restricting the number of season passes sold because of Covid.
diablo? shauns back?

and yes same deal for blue, it was a recent thing. i purchased mine before they even announced they were capping pass sales.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Unrelated to original question, but continuing the season pass discussion, wife and I deferred our MTB Parks Pass from last year to this year. Hoping they still exist as an entity and we didn't lose the money. I prefer the parks pass as long as Keystone and WP are involved as it allows us to head to other places too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
awesome. do you still have that bike? I didn't know you used to run grip-shift.

I was still pointing and giggling at mountainbikes at that point in time. Unlike today where I'm just pointing and giggling at mountainbikERS.

But I did use grip shift on my real dh bikes till about 2013 just because sram deraileurs didn't flop all over the place like shimanos!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
meanwhile, back on topic, i know blue and mt creek limit day pass sales as well. blue did so last summer due to covid, and are only selling the day passes online only, no on-site ticket sales.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
every time i hear someone say "i can ride my enduro bike as hard as my DH bike" all i can think of is the guys i see at the bike park dragging their brakes the entire way down the mountain.
All I think of is them riding A-line the whole day. Maybe doing In Deep for 1 just to say their bike is just as good as a DH.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have been riding various enduro'ish bikes at whistler for probably 5 years or so (Nomad/Insurgent). I def prefer a dh bike most places in the park, esp because I am more of a tech guy.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
tyler! used to ride with the dude all the time back then (worked @ the same shop). was cool watching him progress from shop rat to freeride shredder. the rampage win was SO rad.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'd personally still take a DH bike all day long.

Oh man that's not even close to the same thing :rofl:

Remy knows what a landing is. I don't think tyler cared back then. Thats a 50lb dh bike bouncing in dust in that pic I posted. Probably the shiver springing back from a temporary 40 degree headangle but still.

Props for handling that runout on a trailbike though. Probably moving like 40mph

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What year was it that 3 people broke those fancy colored stanchion marzocchi 888s?

I remember spomer going on about "YOO DON'T KNOW WHAT RAMPAGE DOES TO STUFF" when it was literally just that brand and model of fork that had ever broken in the history of the thing :rofl:
HULKZOCCHI SMASH

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What year was it that 3 people broke those fancy colored stanchion marzocchi 888s?

I remember spomer going on about "YOO DON'T KNOW WHAT RAMPAGE DOES TO STUFF" when it was literally just that brand and model of fork that had ever broken in the history of the thing :rofl:
I have a friend who broke a monster t at rampage back in the day and was quickly whisked into a van to hide that fact.