Quantcast

Is DH hot again?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
I have a friend who broke a monster t at rampage back in the day and was quickly whisked into a van to hide that fact.
i broke my 1st gen monster t top crown. though they had lots of material milled out of them (subsequent years had more beef), so perhaps not that impressive a feat given the leverage on it subjected by the fat stantions & way too many hucks to gross landings. sounds impressive on paper tho.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
All I think of is them riding A-line the whole day. Maybe doing In Deep for 1 just to say their bike is just as good as a DH.
I remember feeling very out of my depth trying to get down Canadian Open on my enduro bike.

This was 18 years ago on a 2003 santa cruz V10

Try this on your 2021 32lb trailbike. :rofl:
To be fair, I wouldn't try that on a DH bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I remember feeling very out of my depth trying to get down Canadian Open on my enduro bike.

To be fair, I wouldn't try that on a DH bike.

I've had the benefit of literally standing on top of that drop and landing with a bike nearby pondering.

Your conclusion is the same as mine was. :D

In 2006 I knew what landings were. That's still not one. I was just making a statement that you can do stupid way more safely on a dh bike. New trail bikes have geometry. Nothing else is comparable to even old dh bikes in terms of strength and ability to just impact shit.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Your conclusion is the same as mine was. :D
My body hurts just looking at that landing

In 2006 I knew what landings were. That's still not one. I was just making a statement that you can do stupid way more safely on a dh bike. New trail bikes have geometry. Nothing else is comparable to even old dh bikes in terms of strength and ability to just impact shit.
Yeah 200mm of travel, even poorly damped and badly sprung lets you get away with a lot more stupidity than people want to admit.

I think the line gets blurry not with proper EWS-level Enduro bikes but with the "super-enduro" marketing wank park fun freeride thingys. Bikes like the 180mm Spindrift and Nukeproof Giga combined with a 180mm ZEB/38 are starting to rival an older 26 DH bike I think. They're no replacement for a modern DH bike, but compared to 2008 tech you'd have to have rose-tinted glasses on to say the old DH bikes were better. Connor Fearon did a recent DH race over here on an old Barel-era Kona Stab-Deelux and said his enduro bike was significantly faster.

*edit* - doing a State DH this weekend on the Mega. If I survive I'll report back with regret levels and the exact moment I realised I should have a DH bike.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We've already had this conversation but being able to keep your head tube attached and your wheels existing as wheels was absolutely something that old dh bike STILL have over trailbikes. It's not just travel. Not at all. It's tires, wheels, DC forks, stout frames......

I wasn't kidding. Geometry is literally it regarding what endurpderp bikes have over older dh bikes in terms of safely doing stupid shit. Geometry is huge but it doesn't matter if things come apart.

All those 180mm bikes you mention are just freeride bikes that have better geometry. We had those 15 years ago too. Just heavier, shorter, usually higher.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
this picture of jordie lunn with a jamis is worth it

View attachment 159306
There was literally a pile of those broken frames at our local dh spot years back. The rental fleet essentially turned to dust. A buddy of mine ended up making them into light fixtures for a bike themed restaurant in town. (see attached)

Attachments

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i broke my 1st gen monster t top crown. though they had lots of material milled out of them (subsequent years had more beef), so perhaps not that impressive a feat given the leverage on it subjected by the fat stantions & way too many hucks to gross landings. sounds impressive on paper tho.
That makes total sense, his story was just the first I heard first hand of someone breaking that fork, you are now the second.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Once we rolled up on a gentleman knocked the fuck out at the bottom of the Dominion drop at Diablo (quick wink for jonkranked), sprawled amongst the wreckage of a rental Jamis. Headtube sheared off. Man crushed the font of his fullface and was out cold. He came to, thankfully undamaged besides a likely concussion. We got him loaded in the meatwagon and chucked what was left of that Jamis beside him.

What a terrible bike. I think Jamis came out with some kind of press release that their DH bikes were not meant for abuse. Does anyone remember that? Fuck, now I have to go look it up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah that sounds about accurate, I don't think I saw one of them survive. Did they really say they weren't meant for abuse? I am surprised some type of law suit didn't come out of those things.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think I posted this a while back but here are a pair of Palm's goggles he threw into the crowd at the 1998/1997 7 Springs NORBA where my younger brother caught them. He was a little kid so he asked palm to sign them (which he did) and wrote 'loser' next to the sig. Currently in the basement waiting for a new display spot.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah that sounds about accurate, I don't think I saw one of them survive. Did they really say they weren't meant for abuse? I am surprised some type of law suit didn't come out of those things.
It was something about not taking it off big drops. May have even listed a maximum height. Can't find anything on the internets about it, but I swear I remember reading about it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It was something about not taking it off big drops. May have even listed a maximum height. Can't find anything on the internets about it, but I swear I remember reading about it.
I'm old and easily confused, but wasn't Dominion the jump line, I don't remember any drops on it.

I do remember coming across that DJ friend of Jakes crashed somewhere there with his fork/headtube and bike no longer as one...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Once we rolled up on a gentleman knocked the fuck out at the bottom of the Dominion drop at Diablo (quick wink for jonkranked), sprawled amongst the wreckage of a rental Jamis. Headtube sheared off. Man crushed the font of his fullface and was out cold. He came to, thankfully undamaged besides a likely concussion. We got him loaded in the meatwagon and chucked what was left of that Jamis beside him.

What a terrible bike. I think Jamis came out with some kind of press release that their DH bikes were not meant for abuse. Does anyone remember that? Fuck, now I have to go look it up.
yea somehow derpablo thought jamis bikes would make a great rental fleet. george ryan seemed to have gotten sponsorship out of the deal somehow. i remember hearing a rumor he went through an entire pile of frames because they kept breaking.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yea somehow derpablo thought jamis bikes would make a great rental fleet. george ryan seemed to have gotten sponsorship out of the deal somehow. i remember hearing a rumor he went through an entire pile of frames because they kept breaking.
Is the drop mentioned the one where you land on that rock slab way riders right on the hill?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
They seemed to target lots of NE resorts around that timeframe

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wish i could still find the video of it, but a buddy of mine took that drop almost to flat. he landed at the very bottom of the rock slab, any farther and he would have been out of transition. he was riding an ellesworth dare, and we found out later it was cracked - and we assumed that drop is what did it.