Quantcast

Is driving fun where you live?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I like to drive. When I lived in Montreal almost anywhere I went I found the drive kind of fun. You could always find a way that had some point of interest or fun curve.

Around Vancouver, driving really sucks. Either traffic, or a bonanza of lights, or a parade of people who are completely inept at driving.

It really kills the fun of it all.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
I'm from right outside Zion National Park, which sees nearly 3 million visitors a year. One and only one road into the park. Picture painfully slow Winnebagos driven by foreigners taking pictures of cattle.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The souther parts of Cambie could be so much fun, but its often packed.

Highway 1 out here sucks. It could be fun if people would get out of your way, but they don't.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Driving is very enjoyable where I live. As long as traffic is moving I find ways to enjoy that also. I have not really had to drive in traffic for 4 years though.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I live outside of DC and my commute kinda sucks because 75% of it is traffic and boring roads. For the short bit that i am in my area it is awesome because all of the roads out of my neighborhood are twisty country roads. I have my fun on exit ramps and sometimes on the highway but overall its kinda blah...

I save the fun driving for trips to Snowshoe or up to our local spot in maryland. Snowshoe gives me 3 1/2 hrs of twisty mountain roads with no cops. Our spot in maryland gives me a mix of mountain road hill climb and then rally/fireroad action.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
Driving sucks for the most part as I grew up in Northern Virginia, and now live in downtown Richmond. Inept moron drivers were/are always the most abundant motorists on the road it seems... Although there are a few choice roads that I always enjoy.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Driving here sucks.

Korea is full of Korean drivers; It's like driving in Burnaby or Richmond, multiplied by ten on the idiot scale.

Motorbikes are fun, however, as sidewalks are fair game.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
i'm at the beginning of New Haven county...but i've lived mostly in Fairfield county. I95 drive is what sucks. but some of the back roads along the Merrit are really sweet.
i lived in hartford county for most of my life, glastonbury to be exact had some friends down in your neck of the woods... i hear you on the traffic on 95...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
there are a handful of roads around here that are a blast to drive on. unfortunately the best handling car that i drive is a honda accord, so there's always a ton of body roll through corners. it at least has a v6 so it's got some pep. once the revs hit 4k, the engine growls nicely. i need to get more money so i can buy myself something fun to drive. is it bad that i want an older bmw? (at least i'll learn how to work on cars with one of those)

some of my favorite driving has to be in vermont and new hampshire though. nice, windy roads, plenty of elevation changes and no traffic.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i lived in hartford county for most of my life, glastonbury to be exact had some friends down in your neck of the woods... i hear you on the traffic on 95...
I remember a few fast hauls from Glastonbury back to Hartford at night. Maybe because I was going into the city in the evening, not out of it...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
there are a handful of roads around here that are a blast to drive on. unfortunately the best handling car that i drive is a honda accord, so there's always a ton of body roll through corners. it at least has a v6 so it's got some pep. once the revs hit 4k, the engine growls nicely. i need to get more money so i can buy myself something fun to drive. is it bad that i want an older bmw? (at least i'll learn how to work on cars with one of those)
Are you channeling blue? :think:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The only reason I bring it up is that I've just some some exceptional driving.

Approach to Mt. Rainier. All to ourselves

Oregon Coast. HWY 101

Avenue of the Giants

Making terriffic time to Point Reyes

Having gotten blown off Point Reyes, making good time to San Fran

Highway 1 just north of San Fran. Awesome, no traffic and more corners than you can shake a stick at:

Just having crossed Bixby Bridge on our way to Big Sur

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The only reason I bring it up is that I've just some some exceptional driving.

Approach to Mt. Rainier. All to ourselves

Oregon Coast. HWY 101

Avenue of the Giants

Making terriffic time to Point Reyes

Having gotten blown off Point Reyes, making good time to San Fran

Highway 1 just north of San Fran. Awesome, no traffic and more corners than you can shake a stick at:

Just having crossed Bixby Bridge on our way to Big Sur
vs. my commute:

Made going back to work a little miserable.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Driving around here sucks. I live in the city, so it's stoplight after stoplight. Couple that with people that don't know the gas pedal from the brake pedal, and its not a lot of fun. WAY better than when I was living in the DC area though!

It gets fun about 2 hours west when you get into the mountains.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
driving here sucks during commute hours. awful. i'm glad i don't have a car any more. :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
considering that this is a photo of where I live....yes

Teh bimmzer+highway 9=Bliss. 17 isn't too bad if no one's on it, but that never happens.

just stumbled upon a 1990 325is in decent shape(by decent i mean the body is in good shape and i think it runs) for $850 on craigslist. i need to get paid sooner... :twitch:
No such thing as a 1990 is, only 325i (all options remained the same), unless it's a 318is (would still pick that up). If the engine is good and the body is good, BUY NOW. Hell, you could double your money parting it even if the engine is hosed. An e30 in ****ty shape will nickle and dime you to death, though. Just like any neglected car from the 80s...

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Living just off the hill from Lake Tahoe, I do enjoy the driving. Granted, during the big weekends (New Year's, July 4th, Celebrity Golf, etc), with all the tourists turning off their brains, it's better to walk/ride/etc. I enjoy going to N* for the Thursday night series, driving through Incline Village, and wondering "is it true these are mostly 2nd homes for rich folks"? Or going down to Mammoth, and as I drive through Lee Vining, thinking that a ride up Tioga Pass would be a great day.