Quantcast

Is everyone doing the GGG if its raining?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Yeti DHer said:
yeah me too. I'm sitting this race out. It's too bad because it's my favorite race of the year but walking to the top in the mud, wind, rain does not seem fun to me. Let's hear all about it guys. :mad:
COME ON! It's exillarating! Have you hiked up before? Because I did last time because the shuttle lines were too long and it didn't take long at all, maybe 30 minutes if you charged. We have a few hours to practice, so take 30 minutes + 3-4 minute run, and you might be able to fit 3 or more runs in.

You can't miss a race like this because of some mud. It'll be a fun experience. I'm going no matter what on Sunday.

alloutprodux

Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
oakland, ca
yeah, cmon you guys,
its northern cali --
we do get a lil rain here,
n there's probably not a single person on here
without discbrakes on their scoot, so suckitup n riiiiiide!!!!!!!
(i know i would if i could ha

team brokenbones

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
That was the worst 5 hours of "biking" (more like mud sliding) ever.

My bike is shot to hell now too.

But props for TWW for doing all that they could, it just was not a good day. I don't think I'm going tomorrow. It's just not worth the hour and a half drive, the hour hike up, and a messed up bike.

I wish they would reschedule. It's such a great race with a great course this year. It'd be great if it was dry (or damp).

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jestere said:
It was pretty bad hiking up (I.E. horrible) It looks like lots of rain tomorrow, so I might have to sit the race out. IMO it should have been rescheduled. Way to ruin a fun event...
me too... i am not walking up that hill again. i wish they would reschedule, the course looks like it would be lots of fun in the dry

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
I dont think they'll have the shuttles running tomarrow either. So it might be a no go. The g-out was kind of fun though :rolleyes: . Do any of you guy know how to properly ride mud, because im clueless. I found that i slipped less with my weight over the front, and stay in the rutts...i think.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
B_LOWrider said:
I dont think they'll have the shuttles running tomarrow either. So it might be a no go. The g-out was kind of fun though :rolleyes: . Do any of you guy know how to properly ride mud, because im clueless. I found that i slipped less with my weight over the front, and stay in the rutts...i think.
yeah the g-out was just... arggggh. i have no clue either... the 2.1 larsens are not a good mud tire :dead:

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
That mud pretty much grabs you by the balls and has its way with you.

I just found that keeping your speed up was a must (or else your wheels would lock in it) and staying balanced was key.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
B_LOWrider said:
After watching the ranger almost slide to his death, I doubt they are running tomorrow either

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
The Kadvang said:
yeah the g-out was just... arggggh. i have no clue either... the 2.1 larsens are not a good mud tire :dead:

were you the guy on the sx that i hiked up with and laughed at people siding down the hill with? I was on a white bullit w/ a shiver.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
B_LOWrider said:
were you the guy on the sx that i hiked up with and laughed at people siding down the hill with? I was on a white bullit w/ a shiver.
haha yep, that was me... i dont think im going tomorrow either

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
the only reason i would go is to make fun of people slide down the hill. I should make a video of all the falls in the first section. Id be part of it. How did you do?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
B_LOWrider said:
the only reason i would go is to make fun of people slide down the hill. I should make a video of all the falls in the first section. Id be part of it. How did you do?
oh man... i musta fallen about 5 times before even getting to that crossover jump... g-out was death... cant believe i walked up that thing

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
oh the g-out was fun, as long as you dont fall. i saw a guy fall, it looked brutal. Mud riding is so much different then any thing ive done.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'll go first thing in the morning probably around 7-7:15 am if its not raining, otherwise I'm out. I didn't even get my bike out of the truck when I got there around 12:15 or so, Bushwacker talked me out of making a mess of my bike. It's not raining right now @ 9:30pm here in Livermore so if it stays like this it maybe ok riding.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
well crap, I wonder if I should bother to go tomorrow or not? What do you guys think? I can still get you guys deals regardless.

BTW: Is it off of the 84 or is it on the other side of town by Altamont?

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll go first thing in the morning probably around 7-7:15 am if its not raining, otherwise I'm out. I didn't even get my bike out of the truck when I got there around 12:15 or so, Bushwacker talked me out of making a mess of my bike. It's not raining right now @ 9:30pm here in Livermore so if it stays like this it maybe ok riding.
I was terrified you were going to actually try to earn your free sushi dinner. I had to talk you out of it. :D

I did get taken to the best damn BBQ I have ever had. Some place in Berkely called "Everet and Smiths BBQ" or something like that.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bushwacker said:
I was terrified you were going to actually try to earn your free sushi dinner. I had to talk you out of it. :D

I did get taken to the best damn BBQ I have ever had. Some place in Berkely called "Everet and Smiths BBQ" or something like that.
Ahhhhhhhhh Everett & Jones:thumb: I used to eat at one in Oakland, then a few years back they had one in Pleasanton & Dublin. It is the best around, service was reallllllllllllllllll sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww, but way worth it!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
well crap, I wonder if I should bother to go tomorrow or not? What do you guys think? I can still get you guys deals regardless.

BTW: Is it off of the 84 or is it on the other side of town by Altamont?
Go 84 make a right on Concannon, then make a right on Tesla. Follow it about 20min and you'll see it on the left. Just keep driving on Tesla, you'll drive down a steep winding road, when you hit the bottom, its about another 2-3 miles.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Brian HCM#1 said:
Ahhhhhhhhh Everett & Jones:thumb: I used to eat at one in Oakland, then a few years back they had one in Pleasanton & Dublin. It is the best around, service was reallllllllllllllllll sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww, but way worth it!!!!
We beat a big crowd, so we got our plates in about 5 minutes. :D

What's the weather report Brian? I gotta leave like right now if I'm going. It's sunny here....

alloutprodux

Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
oakland, ca
awww man
you guys just need to watch out for E & J's special spicing:
it's a lil something we call 'rah-poo',
a special flavor made from the droppings of small rodents
that seem to haunt every one o' their joints...
make sure you get the spicy sauce,
it just might kill the funk....
muahahahahaha

n as far as the GGG goes,
by 2pm guys were pinning it full speed down the g-out
with no problems...
n to the guy with the 2.1 larsen,
one word
woooooweeeeeee!!!!
(oh was that 2??)

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jestere said:
I guess it ended up a blessing that you didn't get your sunday in time. Your wouldn't want to mess up a new bike like that.
Haha... my friend said the exact same thing to me yesterday. So true though.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The first few people to go down were lucky. The women and my class (Jr X) got down before the rain, so we got a nice, tacky course. A little after that the rain started coming down. I stood by the rock jump watching the sport/beginner guys try to get down the g-out for about 30 minutes after my run. Maybe 5 guys actually rode down the whole thing, the rest were on and off their bikes and took a few minutes.

I had fun, but I'm sure the majority of the racers weren't that stoked.