Quantcast

Is Fort Bragg a Murder Base?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Whoa. Isn't Ft Bragg where the School of the Americas is located? Initially I thought that you were making reference to that.

<checks> D'oh, Fort Benning is the one that I was thinking (or not) of. Carry on. :rolleyes: :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by LeatherFace
What's up with all of the military joes killing their spouses? RM thinks its a perfect X-Files episode in the making.

What do you think is happening? Take a look
Teh only problem is that if it becomes an X-files episode, we will NEVER know the answer.

The Truth is out there...
But we'll never tell you what it is :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Army said it is planning to send an epidemiological team to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to review medical and behavioral issues related to five recent slayings involving military families.

In four of the cases, soldiers allegedly killed their wives; in a fifth instance, a wife is accused in the slaying of her Army husband. Military and local authorities said two of the soldiers committed suicide after their wives were killed.

The Army team will review all medications taken by the people involved and examine behavioral issues to see if they can determine any underlying cause.

The Army said it will conduct a literature search on the use of the malaria drug Lariam to see if there are any reported side effects or problems that might have contributed to the violence.

Three of the four soldiers suspected of killing their wives recently served in Afghanistan and may have taken the drug. But the Army emphasized it will look at all medications the people might have been taking.

Roche Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Lariam, warns on its Web site that the drug may cause symptoms "ranging from anxiety, paranoia and depression, to hallucinations and psychotic behavior."

The Web site, which contains a copy of a medical document usually enclosed with a prescription for Lariam, known generically as mefloquine, acknowledges "these symptoms have been reported to continue long after mefloquine has been stopped."

The statement says some people who took the drug have had ideas of suicide, but the company adds, "No relationship to drug administration has been confirmed."

An Army representative said that "while there is an investigation under way, it's best for us not to jump to any conclusions about the potential role of mefloquine in these deaths."

The source said, "It is apparent there are many possible influences and 'root causes' for these tragedies, including the combination of many factors."

Army officials indicated they are aware of reported side effects of agitation, depression and aggression but said they have no specific knowledge the drug may have played a role in the deaths.

Roche, in its medical documentation for the drug, said the anti-malaria medicine should not be taken by "patients with active depression or with a recent history of depression, generalized anxiety disorder ... or other major psychiatric disorders."

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by eric strt6

The Army said it will conduct a literature search on the use of the malaria drug Lariam to see if there are any reported side effects or problems that might have contributed to the violence.

I wonder is Lariam a new anti Malaria Drug? Or if length of time you take it has enything to do with these report possible effects.

I took Malaria drugs for periods of 8-12 weeks 2-3 times a year between 1985-1988 along with the majority of the SF Battalion I was serving with. and during this period we had no events of violance like this.

Originally posted by Serial Midget
I think it is just an unfortunate coincidence that has no bearing on Fort Bragg or Army life in general.
Don't you think its weird though? 4 guys have killed their wives and now one wife has killed her husband--all on the same base? I'm not commenting about Army life, I just think it is a very strange occurrance in a concentrated area--you've got to wonder.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by mikec918

I wonder is Lariam a new anti Malaria Drug? Or if length of time you take it has enything to do with these report possible effects.

I took Malaria drugs for periods of 8-12 weeks 2-3 times a year between 1985-1988 along with the majority of the SF Battalion I was serving with. and during this period we had no events of violance like this.
It's been around for over ten years. It was ten years ago that health scares regarding it first came up (I know as I was advised to take something else when going to Gambia in 1992). I would have thought the US military would have known about some of the side effects before now.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
no big deal, these guys probably came back from 6 months over in afghanistan only to find that the dishes weren't done.....can't blame them really.

j/k, sounds too weird to me.