Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Again, because your job is skilled labor, you have inherent bargaining power, while unskilled labor has very little.
Not exactly. It does require a level of skill, but there are far more "skilled" individuals than there are jobs. At Intel, my job was outsourced for the cost of 5 engineers in China. Where is my bargaining power now?

I compete against as many as 300 people for a job, same as if I was to apply at WalMart. My education and experience dictates a salary range, not a union, or "time on the job". I am a master of my own destiny, not Bob at the union house.

I would not join a union because I would release control of my earning potential. If Chevy auto workers want to make money, build a better car.

Rent Gung Ho.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
And how is it that you have determined this?
Since the value of the good is much larger than the labor put into it, then labor is getting less than what it is actually producing. All of the labor (making the machines, using the machines, delivery, etc.) put into a good is much less than the good will be sold for, therefore the ones doing the labor are getting less money than they put out. A reasonable profit margin should be expected by management, however.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Since the value of the good is much larger than the labor put into it, then labor is getting less than what it is actually producing. All of the labor (making the machines, using the machines, delivery, etc.) put into a good is much less than the good will be sold for, therefore the ones doing the labor are getting less money than they put out. A reasonable profit margin should be expected by management, however.
:brow::brow::brow:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Specifically I mean overhead, restocking, etc. All you have left to pay are wages.

As samirol indicated, wages ought to be a reflection of the value of said goods.

Edit: well either your receptive to the idea, or you have reasons why it seems ludicrous to you, seems as though you are/have neither

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so youre saying what? the laborers should get paid the value of the goods, but the company should still make a margin?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Specifically I mean overhead, restocking, etc. All you have left to pay are wages.

As samirol indicated, wages ought to be a reflection of the value of said goods.
are you and samirol just f-ing with us today? or are you actually serious?

for the past month, ive seen about 5-7 union workers on strike outside their company, protesting god knows what and holding their stupid signs
theyve been there almost everyday i am in the office.

wtf does that accomplish? yeah we see youre on strike. wtf do i care what you are or arent getting paid?? get your ass back into job and do your work like the rest of us. you think holding up signs will make me feel bad about you not getting paid X amount of money? NO it doesnt. i laugh that they stand there in the rain making us try to feel pity for them

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
so youre saying what? the laborers should get paid the value of the goods, but the company should still make a margin?
I'm saying that they should be paid a closer percentage to the value of what they produce. Since most labor produces considerably more than their local minimum wage, then they are underpaid.

There has to be a ROI for there to be capital investment, but it is balancing the interests of workers and investors.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So after the operating costs of a store are covered, where do you recommend the money goes?
In my pocket and back into the business. I just wrote a paper last night on total compensation packages if you'd like to read my BS.

The average employee salary only accounts for 40% of the cost of that employee. The cost of having a breakroom, or offering medical benefits, or bonus plans, or uniforms, or coffee, or snacks, or PTO, or liability, or insurance...

If you think that what you put in your pocket is all it costs your boss, you are misinformed. Granted, the price my employer pays for me is more than your employer pays for you, but I also earn my employer more.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Why is this a more reasonable idea than basing the wage on the supply and demand of (unskilled in this case) labor?
Workers gets a better quality of life, because less goes into the profit margins and more goes into the people that actually made the goods.

The average employee salary only accounts for 40% of the cost of that employee. The cost of having a breakroom, or offering medical benefits, or bonus plans, or uniforms, or coffee, or snacks, or PTO, or liability, or insurance...
I think he was classifying those all as operating costs.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Workers gets a better quality of life, because less goes into the profit margins and more goes into the people that actually made the goods.

I think he was classifying those all as operating costs.
so youre saying that a company should take less money to profit and give it back to the workers making their products?
brilliant! except for everyone else involved with the company...i.e. salesman, mngt, etc wouldnt benefit now would they?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
so youre saying that a company should take less money to profit and give it back to the workers making their products?
brilliant! except for everyone else involved with the company...i.e. salesman, mngt, etc wouldnt benefit now would they?
Do they not aid in the creation of said product?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
What goods do you "create" at your job at the grocery? What is that worth? Seriously - how *specifically* would you calculate it?
It would be directly proportional to the labor required to produce it. A job that takes less labor would receive less pay and a job that would take more labor would receive more pay. For example, a family physician would receive less money than someone working in a tar factory, because tar factory work is more labor intensive. Education would be provided by the state in that example, though.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A good option for auto and other businesses would be to drop people who lead an unhealthy lifestyle by choice (or make them pay whatever is figured as the difference on average). I think I read about a company firing people who didn't quit smoking:

Did you know that most health insurance claims result from unhealthy lifestyles? In fact, lifestyle choices-such as smoking and not maintaining a healthy weight play a role in 74% of health-care claims. Researchers expect that employers may start to put pressure on employees to lead healthier lives in order to keep companies' health-care costs down.

Joint study by Indiana University-Purdue University, and BeniCorp, Inc., an insurance company, Fort Wayne

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It would be directly proportional to the labor required to produce it. A job that takes less labor would receive less pay and a job that would take more labor would receive more pay. For example, a family physician would receive less money than someone working in a tar factory, because tar factory work is more labor intensive. Education would be provided by the state in that example, though.
OK - I'm out. I'll stop and let you tilt at windmills with your Sancho over there.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Their ideas are nothing new. Labour theory of value has been around forever and made popular by Marx. It doesn't work in a society where businesses are trying to make a profit for their shareholders etc. It is pretty well separate from consumption, even though Marxists would tell you it is not as when more product is needed, more labour is added. Sometimes it is the case, and sometimes the machines are simply turned up to 11. It probably worked great 50 years ago.

For Marx, labour is value. Value is nothing but that fragment of the total labour potential existing in a given society in a certain period (e.g. a year or a month) which is used for the output of a given commodity, at the average social productivity of labour existing then and there, divided by the total number of these commodities produced. and expressed in hours (or minutes), days, weeks, months of labour.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
those union strikers that i mentioned before by my office arent actually striking.

they are standing in the 30degree pouring rain because a new supermarket is not union.

awesome reason to be standing out there guys! congrats on your GED education.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
quantifying the value of all labor to the number of muscle fibers firing is beyond stupid.

:twitch:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
quantifying the value of all labor to the number of muscle fibers firing is beyond stupid.

:twitch:
If I lift 20 pound parts all day and the boss wants to increase the weight of the product to 30, I want a freakin' raise!

<edit> Toshi, you get paid more to help fat people, right?