Quantcast

Is Hardtail XC Bad for you?

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
So I have heard that doing XC on your downhill bike can hurt your back, because of the DH specific angles it puts you in a bad position when climbing.
My question is if i do XC on a DJ/MTX hardtail with pretty slack angles (especially the seat tube) would it have the same effect and hurt my back?
I ride an evil imperial if you would like to know.
Thanks

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I XC regularly with a guy that rides an Imp. He keeps up really well on it and it doesn't seem to cause him any problems. Does stand up a lot, specially on climbs.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I don’t think it has so much to do with whether you have a rear shock or not, but probably how your bike is set up vs your body type/limitations. If you are having lower back problems, try some bike/low-back specific stretching and then try changing your bike incrementally (saddle height, postion for instance). I have pretty bad lower back problems sometimes, and I right a Specy FSxc Comp. If your back is still hurting, maybe its your frame. Your LBS should be able to help you out with fitting everything.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I would say it really depends on whether or not you're in pain. If it hurts, it's most likely not good for you. All people are different. My lower back begins to hurt on long rides after a while if my seat is in a bad position, but that's just me.

In a nutshell: if it hurts it's bad for your back.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I would say it really depends on whether or not you're in pain. If it hurts, it's most likely not good for you. All people are different. My lower back begins to hurt on long rides after a while if my seat is in a bad position, but that's just me.

In a nutshell: if it hurts it's bad for your back.
Not necessarily. There are muscles in the back that could be aching due to never being used that way, and will eventually strengthen.