Quantcast

is Honda cooler than Acura?

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
not 100% sure bout this, but acura and honda do sometimes switch models depending on what country it's produced in. I know for sure that acura had an accord in Canada; exact same thing as the one here, but marketed under acura. Could be the same thign for that teg.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by crono35
not 100% sure bout this, but acura and honda do sometimes switch models depending on what country it's produced in. I know for sure that acura had an accord in Canada; exact same thing as the one here, but marketed under acura. Could be the same thign for that teg.
I was thinking the same thing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The new Acura TL (you know the weird pontiac looking acura that is overstyled) is an accord in other countries ;)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
not 100% sure bout this, but acura and honda do sometimes switch models depending on what country it's produced in.

Ummm... Isn't Texas in the United States? :rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
Ummm... Isn't Texas in the United States? :rolleyes:
Um... people can and do import vehicles from other countries into the US, then register them. Thus a car produced for Mexico could have texas plates on it and be completely legit.

:rolleyes:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Um... people can and do import vehicles from other countries into the US, then register them. Thus a car produced for Mexico could have texas plates on it and be completely legit.

Or, in this guys' attempt to be cool he threw a Honda badge on the back of his car? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The guy could just be cheap - maybe he screwed up his stock trunk on the used acura and bought a honda cause it was all he could find or it was cheaper...

Who cares, its not your car:rolleyes:

BTW I have a Saturn Honda Vue ;) (its a saturn with the Honda 3.5L V6 and 5 speed tranny in it - comes that way stock).

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
due to import laws in some countrys there can only be so many cars imported by a company before they must start paying tariffs on each veical brought in.

an easy way around this is make a new brand name such as acura and you can import twice as many cars.

another way to do this is bring production to the country thats imposing the tariff wich is what honda did with the gold wing motorcycle to avoid the tariff on bikes over a certin dispacement (it used to be 750cc+ but im not sure what it is now)

so in some countrys where there are no tariffs like england it is not worth the money to set up 2 dealer networks and produce two diffrent brands when you can bring in as many of one as you can sell

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
Or, in this guys' attempt to be cool he threw a Honda badge on the back of his car? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i would say it's this. pretending that your car is japanese-spec is a big deal. funny thing is that i don't think the integra is sold in japan -- i don't remember seeing any at least. :D

edit: nevermind. now i remember: they just don't have the ugly spider-eyes headlights as in the us, but they're there.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Honda does not make Acura in Japan. But they still have the Integra and other models just inthe Honda line up. In this driver's attempt to make his US Integra look more JDM (japenese domestic market) he put honda badges on it.

Just like Jetta owners put Bora emblems on their cars to make them look more GDM.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
most likely he's doing the "jdm" (japanese domestic market) thing; ie, modifications with japanese-produced parts that are unique to their market - its all the rage with the cool kids. the re-badging is a part of that thing - there is no acura brand in japan, everything is honda (honda nsx, etc...).

*edit*. crap - you beat me to it, hawkeye!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I think they both suck.
Yeah they suck, they don't fall apart every couple of miles and help support mechanics:D Need to buy a domestic or european setup to get that;)

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by Hawkeye
Honda does not make Acura in Japan. But they still have the Integra and other models just inthe Honda line up. In this driver's attempt to make his US Integra look more JDM (japenese domestic market) he put honda badges on it.

Just like Jetta owners put Bora emblems on their cars to make them look more GDM.
Yup, my roommate is doing a JDM conversion to his Integra. The only thing holding him back is that he got burned on an online deal on his fenders. He has the fenders, radiator mount, carbon hood, and headlights they are all just sitting in the garage.

FYI, the term is DTM not GDM :D

In Japan, there are no Lexuses or Infinities. The IS 300 is called Altezza and the Sicon XB is known as the BB in Japan. The Nissan Z 300 is known as the Fairlady and the Infiniti G35 is known as the Skyline.

J

JRB

Originally posted by jacksonpt

I thought they only towed junky ass cars to Mexico. Never heard of them coming back to the US. You should live here. It's a sight to behold.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Originally posted by Dirt rider
[ another way to do this is bring production to the country thats imposing the tariff wich is what honda did with the gold wing motorcycle to avoid the tariff on bikes over a certin dispacement (it used to be 750cc+ but im not sure what it is now)

The Goldwing is made in Ohio...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
due to import laws in some countrys there can only be so many cars imported by a company before they must start paying tariffs on each veical brought in.

an easy way around this is make a new brand name such as acura and you can import twice as many cars.

another way to do this is bring production to the country thats imposing the tariff wich is what honda did with the gold wing motorcycle to avoid the tariff on bikes over a certin dispacement (it used to be 750cc+ but im not sure what it is now)

so in some countrys where there are no tariffs like england it is not worth the money to set up 2 dealer networks and produce two diffrent brands when you can bring in as many of one as you can sell
interesting theory, but acura/lexus/infiniti were launched by honda/toyota/nissan to differentiate their luxury/near-luxury cars from their pedestrian offerings. apparently image is everything in the us :D , and honda didn't want the (acura) legend to be associated with the CVCC in peoples' minds...

my point: maybe the situation is different elsewhere, but i was definitely under the impression that the alternate brand names were spawned as a brand image campaign, not because of tariff restrictions on any particular nameplate.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by Leethal
[ another way to do this is bring production to the country thats imposing the tariff wich is what honda did with the gold wing motorcycle to avoid the tariff on bikes over a certin dispacement (it used to be 750cc+ but im not sure what it is now)

The Goldwing is made in Ohio...

thats right and the U.S at one point (not sure if they still do) placed tariffs on motorcycles 750cc and larger not manufacted in the U.S so to avoid paying this Honda built a Goldwing factory on Ohio