Quantcast

Is IKEA really THAT great..???

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I prefer to make my own furniture out of old kegs, whiskey barrels and 2X4s.
There was a period of a couple years (not that long ago) that I used camping chairs as recliners and upside-down kayaks/gear boxes as coffee tables in my living room...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
There was a period of a couple years (not that long ago) that I used camping chairs as recliners and upside-down kayaks/gear oxes as coffee tables in my living room...
I used to have a similar decor. But I actually inherited some real furntiture over the last few years. Nothing matches, pink EZ Lift Chair, blue plaid couch and a baby blue lazy boy and an antique cherry coffee table. A good friend of my has the ultimate set up with a climbing wall that starts on his dining room table.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
BillT said:
IKEA isn't that great, but it is cheap and stylish and the stores are setup pretty cool.
pretty cheap is furnishing your house for less than $60.

I had this neighbor who was constantly re-decorating his apartment & he would give us stuff he didnt want anymore, he sold us a couch for $20, gave us matching tables & coffee table & other things. he rocked & had excellent taste.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have an IKEA chair and an IKEA TV stand. It's good, inexpensive, stylish, and easy to assemble. Problem is, half the stuff that's nice in their stores is usually sold out. We had to go back four times until we finally got our TV stand.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we don't have the pleasure of having near us, so i've never been in one (and i didn't bother going to the flagship store when we were in stockholm).

the dude is richer than jesus, though, so he must be doing something right.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
we don't have the pleasure of having near us, so i've never been in one (and i didn't bother going to the flagship store when we were in stockholm).

the dude is richer than jesus, though, so he must be doing something right.

Jesus was the poor son of a carpenter though. ;)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats right up there with the annual Filenes Basement Birdal sale here in Boston. That stampede always makes the news.

kajo

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
Sweden -> malmö
I live in sweden where IKEA comes from. IKEA is just piece of crap. The quality is nothing to be happy about. I can agree that they are innovative but if the furniture can't be used in a normal way then I preffer other stuff.

I can imagine that IKEA furniture are expensive outside sweden but it aint worth it. Ok if you're moving out of home and need some cheap stuff fast but in other way no :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
berkshire_rider said:
Or, the dummies that go wild buying milk and bread the day before every snow storm at Stop N Shop / Shaws. :confused: :rolleyes:
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!
"Oh my god, its going to snow for a day and a half, so I'd better get at least 2 weeks worth of canned goods!"

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Ridemonkey said:
People are fricken crazy. I'm moving to some tiny alpine village somewhere.
I tried that (see my location to the left) let me tell you it's still just as crazy, I still have to drive into the city for work and shopping and our neighbors are a bunch of rich snobs, no way we'll ever keep up with the Jones...

Ikea isn't all that great, some of their furniture is actually pretty descent compared to other items in the same price range. I've seen very little particle board with paper venier and some of their furniture actually has dovetail or dado joints but overall it just feels like cheap furniture. Add to that the fact that I can never find my way thorugh the store, it's like one of those giant mazes. The way they organize the sections seems very haphazard, as soon as you think you're out of the kitchen stuff you'll find some kitchen bits mixed in with a bedroom setup. I don't like the way some items are kept on a shelf or in a bin next to the display and others you have to go and search through the warehouse to find the item in a box. They do have some neat kitchen gadgets though we did some christmas shopping there this last year. I can't understand why there are always so many people there though, the registers rarely have long lines, it's like people go there instead of the mall to hang out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Spoken like a single guy........
Yep, as long as I have a comfortable bed and a place to sit furniture gives me no satisfaction, zip, zero, nadda. Outside of a bed I have spent only $250 on furniture, $200 for a dresser and $50 for a used lazy boy for my dog to sleep on.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Ridemonkey said:
People are fricken crazy. I'm moving to some tiny alpine village somewhere.
Didn't you move to Bend, OR? Other than a land rush of rich people recently, that was a po-dunk town stuck out there in the high desert. :D

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
llkoolkeg said:
I don't know how the hell I managed to confuse that. Perhaps it was the long drive(and overindulgence of intoxicants) from where I was staying at the time- just South of Schweinfurt near Erlangen. :confused:

I was Stationed in Erlangen from 1988-1990, lived just outside Nuremberg in Oberasbach and commuted.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Ikea's low-end cheap stuff can be ridiculously inexpensive but at the same time not too far off from being disposable - which is fine if you're a starving college student or not too far removed from being one. Some of the their mid/high-end stuff is decent though. If you're really trying to furnish a home, there are several alternatives that generally offer higher quality without having to increase one's budget significantly. Off the top of my head...

West Elm
Bo Concept
Design Within Reach ... for larger budgets.

But then again, you'd be hard pressed to find items at these places with as many diacritical marks as those found in Ikea names. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
people are retarded. i like how they are blaming some of it on the store. its not the stores fault that people are idiots. cant wait to see how many people sue ikea now.

and that psycho in the picture would have had way more issues than not getting the couch she wanted if she were in my face like that.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
llkoolkeg said:
Small world, dude! I was doing some consulting work for the 98th ASG at the time and used to hang out with a few of the nuts in the Big Red One. :)

A very small world indeed, spent 1985-1988 Stationed in Amberg east of Nuremberg and I vaguely remember some train rides from Munich back to Amberg in that late Sept. early Oct. timeframe...