Quantcast

is it 1990 again? grunge lives

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in 2013 i didn't think i'd be seeing (the mostly original lineups) of Mudhoney and Soundgarden in the span of 5 days, but it happened.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dunno, I guess they were classified as such, but i never considered Mudhoney to be grunge, despite being on Subpop, etc. When the 'Touch Me, I'm Sick' single came out, I felt as if it was an extension of the Stooges more than anything else.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
totally. i did an interview w/ Mark and Steve before the show and we talked about that a bit. i think it was the Seattle connection more than anything else (also apparently Mark is credited w/ the first use of the term, if you believe wikipedia)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the only band from the grunge era i can still really tolerate is AIC. idk why. tastes have changed. then again, i was never super into grunge to begin with, when it really started becoming popular, i was into it, but quickly segued into the local punk scene.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I own a Mudhoney album, it is worse than a Ting Tings album I also own for some reason.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
the only band from the grunge era i can still really tolerate is AIC. idk why. tastes have changed. then again, i was never super into grunge to begin with, when it really started becoming popular, i was into it, but quickly segued into the local punk scene.
Just bought my AIC's tickets for sept 11. Can't wait!!!!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the nights of bad sound are taking a toll on bens bass....it looked new in atlanta until the end of the night....

it looks worse now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
alice in chains were always sh!tty hair metal to me...
AIC was most definitely not hair metal. It was that grunge/alternative/seattle sound, but far more dark than any of the others. Last time I saw em was a few summers ago in Phoenix. Was definitely a good show. ****ty hair metal had guitars tuned higher, vocals that were higher, guys that looked like pretty boys, guitar solos, and so on. There was huge focus on the production of the entire thing, and it got to the point where people were so sick of it that grunge was born, and it was almost the opposite of everything that ****ty hair metal was. That is probably why they were singing alice, "in chains", to make fun of it.

Last edited: